18 Assisted Living Facilities near Esko, MN
Also serving communities of Carlton.
There are 18 Assisted Living Facilities in the Esko area, with 2 in Esko and 16 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Esko. Better rated regions include Superior with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Esko, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Esko, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Esko
Esko is an unincorporated community of just 1,717 people and is named after Alex Esko, who built one of the town's first small shops in 1919. The city has a median age of 41.3, which is much higher than the national median age of 37.4. Residents 65 and older account for 13% of the local population.
Seniors residing in the area can obtain personal care assistance at one of the 18 assisted living facilities in the region, including two assisted living communities located immediately within Esko. All senior living facilities in Minnesota are licensed and governed by the Minnesota Department of Health. The Minnesota Department of Human Services is responsible for licensing certain additional programs and services within senior care communities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Esko
- Esko is one of the most affordable areas in Minnesota to call home. The cost of living score is 100.4, which is just 0.40% higher than the US average and significantly lower than the Minnesota average of 106.3. The average cost of groceries, housing and transportation is significantly lower in this area compared to the rest of the state.
- Residents in the area should be prepared for long, bitter winters. The first snowfall of the year typically arrives in October, and the last snowfall arrives in May. Fresh snow not only falls in each month over an eight-month period each year, but there are also 23 days per year on average in which fresh snowfall totals at least 1 inch.
- For those who value quiet small towns with safe, secure neighborhoods, Esko is an ideal place to live. The community is part of the Duluth metro area in northern Minnesota, which is ranked as the seventh-safest midsize city in the United States.
- Active seniors can find ample opportunity to take advantage of the natural beauty and local attractions Esko has to offer during the summer months. Jay Cooke State Park is located southeast of the community and offers camping and hiking opportunities, as well as informative outdoor classes. The Great Lakes Aquarium and Lake Superior Zoo are located in nearby Duluth for fun outings.
- The city offers its own senior-focused community group for residents 55 and older. The Esko Senior Citizens community group holds weekly coffee and potluck socials every Wednesday and bingo on the third Friday of every month.
- The Esko area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Cloud Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Esko
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Esko start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Esko and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Esko
Minnesota seniors can receive financial assistance for expenses involving housing and food through the Housing Support program offered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. The state also offers three Medicaid waiver programs: the Elderly Waiver, Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) and Minnesota Senior Health Options (MSHO).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Esko
Esko and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Esko, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Esko
Esko-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.