22 Assisted Living Facilities near Dedham, MA
Also serving communities of West Roxbury, Mattapan.
There are 22 Assisted Living Facilities in the Dedham area, with 3 in Dedham and 19 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Dedham is $5,640 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Norwood with an average starting cost of $5,275.
To help you with your search, browse the 130 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Dedham. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Dedham 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Norwood with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Dedham, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Dedham, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dedham
The town of Dedham, Massachusetts, is located on Boston's southwest border. Its population estimate as of July 2017 is 25,364 residents, and of those, 19.8 percent are age 65 or over. There are 26 assisted living facilities, known as Assisted Living Residences (ALRs), in the Dedham area to help serve this population of seniors. Three of them are located within the Dedham town limits, and the other 23 are located in nearby communities, including Brighton, Walpole, Needham, Chestnut Hill, Newton and Boston.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dedham
- Dedham has a relatively comfortable year-round climate, especially in the spring, summer and fall. The average high in July is around 83 degrees, and the area gets about 201 sunny days per year. Winters in Dedham can be cold and snowy, which may be challenging for seniors who find winter difficult. Dedham receives an average of 55 inches of snow each year, well above the national average of 26 inches.
- Dedham is a relatively safe place to live for seniors. Incidents of violent and property crime are infrequent and either on par with or below national averages. On a scale of one to 100 with one being low crime and 100 being high crime, Dedham's violent crime is 33.2, right around the U.S. average of 31.1, and property crime is 32.5, below the national average of 38.1.
- Cost of living in Dedham is relatively expensive compared to other parts of the country and Massachusetts, so seniors will want to keep this information in mind as they search for assisted living facilities. On a cost of living index based on a U.S. average of 100, Dedham's cost of living is 160.8. This is above the Massachusetts average of 139.
- Dedham has its own local bus service that stops in popular places in town, including the Dedham Mall, East Dedham, Dedham Square, Legacy Place and Endicott Station, which is also where the MBTA's Commuter Rail service stops as part of the Franklin route. Seniors can enjoy a discounted fare rate of $1.
- The Dedham area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mass General Hospital in Boston, and New England Baptist Outpatient Care Center right in Dedham in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Massachusetts is moderately tax-friendly towards retired seniors. Income from Social Security and public pensions are fully tax exempt. However, income received from IRAs, 401ks or private pension funds are fully taxed at the state rate of 5.1 percent.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dedham
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Dedham start around $4,630 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dedham and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dedham
The Medicaid State Plan in Massachusetts, also called MassHealth, pays for services in Assisted Living Residences for individuals who meet certain criteria.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dedham
Dedham and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dedham, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dedham
Dedham-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Dedham, MA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dedham
Review of The Linden at Dedham
When I visited my cousin I was really impressed with the place and all the activities going on. All the people living there seemed happy and interested in the game they were playing. We had a gre... Read more
Review of The Linden at Dedham
The Linden at Dedham was being remodeled, so everything was updated. The person who took me around had lots of knowledge and was very involved. The staff was very friendly. There were a lot of peop... Read more
Review of Traditions of Dedham
My mother was at the Traditions of Dedham. Overall, it was OK. The room was OK. However, the place where she was before was nicer. You have to provide everything here whereas at the last place they... Read more