14 Assisted Living Facilities near Port Deposit, MD
Also serving communities of Perryville, Colora, Conowingo.
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Port Deposit area, with 3 in Port Deposit and 11 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Port Deposit. Better rated regions include Aberdeen with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Port Deposit, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Port Deposit, MD
11 Assisted Living Facilities near Port Deposit, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Port Deposit
Port Deposit is located along the Delaware River in Maryland near the New Jersey border. Captain John Smith was the town's first European visitor in 1608 and 1609. Today, the entire town is on the National Historic Register, and it prides itself on maintaining its historic character. There are just 650 residents, about 15% of whom are aged 65 and over.
Assisted living facilities in Port Deposit, which may also be called assisted living programs, are categorized according to the level of care they provide. Port Deposit has three assisted living facilities, and there are 11 more nearby.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Port Deposit
- Port Deposit's overall cost of living is about 18% higher than the U.S. average but about 7% lower than the statewide average, which may make it a good option for Maryland natives who are seeking affordable assisted living.
- While Port Deposit has a relatively high property crime rate, coming in at 45.6 on a 100-point index versus the national average of 35.4, the town's violent crime rate is low at 15.4 versus the national average of 22.7. Although Port Deposit is generally safe, seniors may want to seek out an assisted living facility with security features like surveillance cameras.
- Port Deposit's summers tend to be very warm with July highs near 90 degrees, which is warmer than most communities in Maryland. January, the coldest month in Port Deposit, typically has lows near 20 degrees and receives about 7 inches of the town's annual snowfall of 16 inches. This climate may appeal to seniors who enjoy experiencing four distinct seasons.
- Social Security income is not subject to state income tax in Maryland. Non-public pension income is fully taxed, and the state partially taxes all other types of retirement income. This may affect how much money can be put toward assisted living in Port Deposit.
- The Port Deposit area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Havre De Grace.
- While particle pollution is not a concern in Port Deposit, the American Lung Association reports very high levels of ozone pollution in the region, which may affect the health of those with certain conditions.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Port Deposit
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Port Deposit start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Port Deposit and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Port Deposit
In Port Deposit, seniors who meet certain criteria may have assisted living services covered through the Medicaid 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Options waiver program or the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Port Deposit
Port Deposit and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Port Deposit, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Port Deposit
Port Deposit-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.