81 Assisted Living Facilities in Baltimore City, MD
The average cost of assisted living in Baltimore City is $2,968 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 94 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Baltimore City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Baltimore City 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Howard County with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 8 families in Baltimore City find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Baltimore City, call (855) 863-8283.
Browse Assisted Living by city: Assisted Living in Baltimore
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Baltimore City, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Baltimore City
Baltimore, Maryland, is a lively port city that connects to the Chesapeake Bay from the famed Inner Harbor. As the largest city in the state, Baltimore is home to a sizeable, diverse population of nearly 615,000 people. About 13 percent of the population is 65 years or older. Seniors can choose from a wide variety of local housing accommodations, as Baltimore features 103 assisted living facilities.
In Baltimore and throughout the state, assisted living programs (ALPs) are regulated by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. These programs provide three levels of care based on the individual's needs, and the facilities range in size from large apartment complexes to small houses.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Baltimore City
- The Baltimore area is home to world-class medical facilities, including The Johns Hopkins Hospital and the University of Maryland Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Baltimore County received an F from the American Lung Association for ozone pollution, which can endanger the health of seniors and those with respiratory conditions. The American Lung Association also ranked number 17 in the greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington region on the list of Most Polluted Cities in the nation.
- The overall cost of living in Baltimore is 10 percent lower than the national average and 27 percent lower than the Maryland average, mostly due to the city's low housing prices. Groceries, utilities and transportation cost more in Baltimore than the national average, so seniors may not save on everyday costs by retiring to the area.
- Baltimore ranked number 11 on NeighborhoodScout's Top 100 list of Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. The odds of experiencing a violent crime or property crime in Baltimore are 1 in 15, meaning the area is not necessarily safe for seniors.
- Baltimore offers numerous attractions for seniors to enjoy arts and culture, including the National Aquarium, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, historic ships on the Inner Harbor, the Baltimore Museum of Art and the Fort McHenry National Monument.
- Free transportation is available on the Charm City Circulator buses, which stop along fixed routes throughout Baltimore. Additional bus and rail services are provided by the Maryland Transit Administration, which offers reduced fares for seniors. For sightseeing along the Inner Harbor, seniors can travel by Water Taxi.
Paying for Assisted Living in Baltimore City
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Baltimore City start around $3,176 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Baltimore City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Baltimore City
Seniors with Medicaid in Maryland may be eligible for the Community Options Waiver, which provides financial coverage for assisted living. Another option is the Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Baltimore City
Baltimore City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Baltimore City, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Baltimore City
Baltimore City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Baltimore City, MD
Assisted Living near Baltimore City, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Baltimore City
Review of Taylor and Jackie Assisted Living
My biggest fear of moving my mother into an assisted living home was that people would not take care of her the way I would. I was scared that the same level of attention and compassion me or my wi... Read more
Review of Taylor and Jackie Assisted Living
Kemia, Danielle, and Candace are wonderful if I have a question Kemia and Danielle respond quickly and Candace cares about what my mother wants to eat. Read more
Review of Aim to Inspire Assisted Living
Very clean space , great pricing definitely one of the top Assistant living Facilities I’ve visited Read more