6 Assisted Living Facilities in Lake Charles, LA
The average cost of assisted living in Lake Charles is $2,995 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,346.
To help you with your search, browse the 40 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lake Charles. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lake Charles 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Sulphur with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Lake Charles find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lake Charles, call (855) 863-8283.
Promotion ends in 2 days!
Spring Promotion: Moving Made Easy. For new residents: $500 Off the Community Fee, 1/2 Off First ... (more)
Other Options in Lake Charles, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lake Charles
Review of Brookdale Lake Charles
Brookdale is an assisted living facility. Very clean, friendly staff, my husband is quite happy living there. Read more
Review of The Verandah Independent and Assisted Living
We really liked The Verandah. The girls who did our interview were very knowledgeable and I really liked them. The whole atmosphere of the place was awesome, and the rooms were nice. They had an ar... Read more
Review of Brookdale Lake Charles
Brookdale Lake Charles is a lovely place. When you put your own furniture in the rooms, it looks like an apartment with a bedroom and a walk-in shower without a step over. They had a half kitchen w... Read more
Assisted Living near Calcasieu Parish, LA
More Options Near Lake Charles, LA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lake Charles
Lake Charles, Louisiana, has seven assisted living facilities within its limits, with one other in the nearby town of Sulphur. In Louisiana, adult residential care facilities have four licensing levels, one of which is assisted living (AL). AL facilities are defined as communities which provide lodging, meals, intermittent nursing services, assistance with personal hygiene, housekeeping, transportation assistance and help with other acts of daily living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lake Charles
- Seniors with respiratory concerns can breathe freely in Lake Charles, as the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality regularly gives the area a "good" air quality rating. The area is warm and humid nearly year round, though, which can be difficult for those with chronic sinus woes.
- While the area gets a lot of rainfall and is at risk for the occasional tropical storm or hurricane, average lows are 59.1 degrees F and average highs are 78.1 degrees F, making Lake Charles a good choice for seniors that like to spend time outdoors — especially in spring and fall.
- The cost of living index in Lake Charles is lower than both the state and national averages, making it an affordable location for seniors. Utility costs are especially low when compared to other areas, so seniors can afford to keep apartments cool during the hot summers, even if their ALF requires them to pay part or all of their own utility costs.
- The crime rate in Lake Charles is well above the national average, and statistically, 1 in 21 people in the city become victims to crime. Seniors in secure assisted living facilities are less likely to be victimized by local crime, so security may need to be a consideration when looking at communities in the area.
- The Lake Charles area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lake Charles Memorial Hospital, CHRISTUS St. Patrick Hospital and CHRISTUS Lake Area Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Lake Charles is a bastion of Cajun and South Louisiana culture. Seniors can visit the Mardi Gras Museum of Imperial Calcasieu, paying only 50 percent of the standard admission price, or walk the boardwalks at Prien Lake Park for free.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lake Charles
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Lake Charles start around $2,995 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lake Charles and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lake Charles
Eligible seniors may be able to receive financial assistance for assisted living care via the Community Choices Waiver, which is administered through the state Medicaid program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lake Charles
Lake Charles and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lake Charles, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lake Charles
Lake Charles-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.