2 Assisted Living Facilities in Port Arthur, TX
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Port Arthur. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Port Arthur 2.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Beaumont with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Port Arthur, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Port Arthur
Port Arthur, Texas, is located on the Gulf Coast and is home to one of the largest oil refineries in the state. Part of the greater Beaumont metro area, it's also a great spot for year-round fishing. Nearly 17 percent of the town's population of 55,000 are seniors over 60, with seven assisted living facilities in Port Arthur itself and a further 29 in the greater Beaumont area.
The state of Texas designates two levels of assisted living depending on the level of care residents need. Type A facilities house those able to evacuate on their own in an emergency, while Type B facilities serve residents who need overnight care and staff assistance and direction in case of an evacuation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Port Arthur
- Gulf Coast weather is hot and humid, with risks of hurricanes in the fall. Port Arthur is known for long summers and short winters. July high temperatures average 91 degrees, and January lows are around 42. This type of weather pattern may not be conducive to some seniors.
- Port Arthur's quality of air is rated a 48, which is better than the U.S. average of 58. According to the American Lung Association, those with respiratory conditions, asthma and those over 65 may be at risk from particle or pollution from the local refineries.
- The cost of living in Port Arthur is 78, compared to a U.S. average of 100. The main difference is housing prices, which are 50 percent lower than the national average. Grocery and health care costs are about 10 percent lower than the average.
- Violent crime rates in Port Arthur are nearly double the national average, while property crimes are about 66 percent higher. Seniors are advised to use caution and secure their belongings.
- Texas has no state income tax, meaning that retirement income and social security benefits are not subject to taxation. This means more money available for assisted living expenses. However, Texas has some of the highest rates in the nation for sales and property taxes.
- The Port Arthur area is home to world-class medical facilities, including The Medical Center of Southeast Texas and CHRISTUS - St. Mary, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Port Arthur
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Port Arthur start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Port Arthur and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Port Arthur
Seniors who receive SSI income, Medicaid or Medicare benefits may receive partial financial assistance through the STAR+PLUS program. This program is part of the Health and Human Services Department and may not be available in all areas of the state.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Port Arthur
Port Arthur and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Port Arthur, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Port Arthur
Port Arthur-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Port Arthur, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Port Arthur
Review of Serenity Home Assisted Care Living
My mother was at Serenity Home Assisted Care Living. I wouldn't recommend anybody to go there. The care was very poor. The food was very poor. My mother never had a home-cooked meal. Foods were alw... Read more
Review of Rose Place
We visited Rose House and it was okay. It had a really small studio apartment. It's just not the right time right now. Read more
Review of Rose Place
The Rose House is a great place for a person to receive assisted living. My grandmother stayed there for almost 3 years and it was great for her. Her room came with the basic necessities for livi... Read more