Brookdale Lake Charles

Reviews of Brookdale Lake Charles

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Lake Charles

August 17, 2016

By Vickie681405

The rooms at Brookdale Lake Charles were like small studios and hospital-type rooms. It’s a really good facility. The staff seemed very nice and patient. They had outings at different times of the month, visiting entertainment, bingo, and cards. I know some residents did exercises and took cooking classes.

December 10, 2015

By Jackie114326350

The people at Brookdale are really very nice. I met the activity coordinator, who was excellent. The room was really nice and clean, and all of the people were very friendly. They were just getting back from a field trip when I visited.

May 29, 2015

By Greg24

Brookdale Lake Charles had a lot of things to offer for the residents like activities to keep them active. The food smelled good, and the people that were there seemed happy. They had outings and trips to the malls and the park. The activities director was actually the person who gave us the tour. He was very energetic and outgoing. He seemed to want to involve everybody. A lot of residents responded to him during the tour. They served three meals a day, and I believe they had a snack area that residents can go to at certain times for snacks and something to drink. Everything I saw was clean and well kept.

December 26, 2014

Overall, I thought Emeritus Lake Charles was good. It was very clean, and the people were friendly. They had bingo, I know they have exercises.

October 28, 2014

The people of Emeritus at Lake Charles were very polite, very nice, and they have a really nice facility. It is a very good location. The residents seemed to be happy there. I was just looking for a place that was better and the Emeritus was something I think that my mother would enjoy.

July 29, 2014

By Terry31

Emeritus at Lake Charles was very old, and when you walked in the old people were just sitting around, kind of not engaged and not visiting, and it had that old nursing home smell. They had very tiny rooms there too. The director was really friendly and very helpful, but it just felt like old people were kind of just sitting around. I couldn't picture my dad being happy to be there. The director, a young girl, was very helpful and very informed. I liked her. She was very easy to talk with. The place was not so great, but she was a great person.

May 29, 2014

Emeritus was very good. There were several followup phone calls, lasting for months, just checking to see how things were going. I was very impressed both by the facility and the person who showed me around. There were three or four different styles of rooms. They showed me one of each. Personally, I thought they were small. That's another thing that impressed me. While I was sitting there at the table and we were discussing the facility, all of the workers just showed up with a meal and put it in front of me. I was surprised. I wasn't expecting to be fed, and the lady encouraged me to go ahead and try it and gave us what was being served that night. It was excellent. I ate it all and felt really good about that. Apparently, they're very proud of it, and that's one of their selling points. Overall, I felt very good about the place.

September 26, 2012

By ButterflyLady56789361

This facility has a very caring family of employees. The administrator, Jeremy F. has really good management skills and has put together an excellent team.

September 12, 2012

By lsufan

I was impressed by the services Emeritus had to offer, including several full time on-site staff members. The staff consisted of a nurse and events coordinator. The nurse cared for the patients and checked on their day to day needs. The events coordinator helped set up activities the residents enjoyed that also helped keep the residents fit and healthy. For example, some days they danced and others they had local hospitals speak on various topics. The facilities are nice, clean, and well kept. My only issue was the staff who can be slightly abrupt.

August 30, 2012

By Kimberlystodder

This facility was extremely nice. Walking into this place was like walking into an upscale hotel. There was a beauty shop there that was small but well equipped to cater to any hairstyle that a resident might request. When I saw the dining room I gasped... it was like an uptown restaraunt complete with fancy dining chairs and great food. The guests rooms we saw were like a five star hotel room. The residents seemed very independant. They seemed to move about freely without needing much assistant. The residents also seemed very happy, full of smiles. I really liked it here. It was more of a community of slighty older people who just needed companionship more than medical care.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Lake Charles

Questions about Brookdale Lake Charles

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Brookdale strives to provide optimum Alzheimer’s and dementia care. In order for this to be possible, Brookdale ensures that our CB associates receive monthly training on a variety of topics that concern today’s memory care population.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Lake Charles. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age is 84 years old. Our residents really enjoy the variety in our calendar of events. From Bingo, cooking class, happy hour, band entertainment and religious church services. They really enjoy our weekly outings as well; we visit restaurants, shopping centers, casinos and farmer markets.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Charles offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We start each morning with our B-Fit program which is backed up by the American College of Sports Medicine for physical fitness in seniors, which enriches their physical dimension. Our varieties of religious organizations that are involved here give opportunities to exercise their spiritual dimensions. Our signature program Flex your Brain challenges our residents 6 different cognitive areas (long-term memory, working memory, processing speed, executive functioning, multitasking and attention to detail). We offer Flex your Brain twice weekly to help sharpen the intellectual dimensions. Our resident lead programs like our resident ambassador and resident council programs give our residents a sense of purpose in our community. Our variety of activities like our outings, cooking class, bingo, etc give our residents many opportunities to be engaged and enrich their social dimension.

What places are near Brookdale Lake Charles or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We have several grocery stores, restaurants and pharmacies located within walking distance of our community. However, we encourage our residents to schedule transportation with our bus for their needs. The safeties of our residents are our top priority so we encourage the use of our transportation instead of walking along the busy roads.

What transportation services does Brookdale Lake Charles offer to assisted living residents?

Our bus is open to appointments Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. All medical appointments take priority over any other type of appointment. We also provide transportation for any scheduled outing for our residents.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Lake Charles exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our signature seasonings allow residents to season to their own acquired taste. Our baked fresh and made from scratch programs set us apart for menu selections. We offer delicious entrees for meals 7 days a week, along with an always available menu. This gives our residents a wide range to choose from during meal times. Every resident is asked of their preferences in food choices and we honor those choices in our “We Say Yes” program. This program is our commitment to resident satisfaction.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Charles offer to assisted living residents?

Safety is a top priority for our residents and staff. There is one main entrance into our community during the daylight hours. After dusk that door is secured and a door bell has to be ringed to enter the community. Any guests that enter our community are asked to sign in and out so that we know who is in our community at all times. We also ask that any resident who leaves the community sign out, this is in the event of a fire we know which residents are in our community or not.

How does Brookdale Lake Charles keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Communication is vital for the care of our residents. Our Health and Wellness Director and Coordinator, as well as other members of the Brookdale make it a top priority to keep our Brookdale families informed. In addition to notifying families of any changes in care, we also share memorable moments involving Brookdale residents with their families.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Lake Charles during daytime and nighttime hours?

Brookdale Senior Living utilizes an advanced tool called service alignment that determines our staffing ratios based on resident care. In other words, families can rest assured that the right amounts of care associates are available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

If Brookdale Lake Charles accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Brookdale Lake Charles welcomes our residents’ furry friends. Many of our residents enjoy taking their pets for walks in one of our lovely courtyards or spending time with them in some of the common areas throughout the community.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Brookdale Senior Living takes great pride in ensuring that our associates receive monthly training to ensure that our residents receive the best care possible. In addition to regular community trainings and safety meetings, Brookdale provides advanced care training each month.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Lake Charles provide to protect residents who wander?

Brookdale Lake Chares offers a safe environment for residents who wander. Our Clare Bridge program has been designed to not only enrich the lives of our residents but protect them.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Lake Charles offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Brookdale’s Clare Bridge Program has been designed to enrich the lives of our seniors. This program offers 6 purposeful activities daily as well as 3 served refreshments throughout the day. We utilize our residents’ life stories to ensure that we are meeting the social needs of our residents.

Brookdale residents are assessed by our Health and Wellness Director with input from our direct care associates. Each resident is assessed before move in, with in 30 days after move in and quarterly. We also assess if we observe a change in condition.

What techniques does Brookdale Lake Charles use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Brookdale Lake Charles utilizes many techniques to ensure that our residents receive proper nourishment. In addition to our signature dining programs, we use tools such as special utensils or diets, specialized hand techniques and verbal prompting.

How does Brookdale Lake Charles keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Lake Charles. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Brookdale Lake Charles is located in the heart of South Lake Charles. We are surrounded by residential neighborhoods and minutes from hospitals, dining, and shopping.

Is Brookdale Lake Charles affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Brookdale Lake Charles is partnered with each medical facility in Lake Charles. This assures that our residents will be able to continue to see the provider of their choice when it comes to healthcare.

Photos of Brookdale Lake Charles

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Lake Charles

• Companion Suites: Yes

• Features Extra: Library

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Computer Class. Happy Hour.

• Home Sale Assistance

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

About Brookdale Lake Charles

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Lake Charles