5 Assisted Living Facilities near Dubuque, IA
Also serving communities of Bellevue, Cascade, Dyersville, Garnavillo, Edgewood.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Dubuque area, with 4 in Dubuque and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Dubuque is $3,795 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 26 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Dubuque. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Dubuque 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Dubuque, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Dubuque, IA
1 Assisted Living Facility near Dubuque, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Dubuque
Dubuque, located along the Mississippi River in Iowa, is the oldest city in the state. It’s named after Julien Dubuque, a fur trader who arrived in the area in the late 1700s. Large numbers of immigrants flocked to the area, and today, Dubuque is home to nearly 58,000 people. Of these residents, 17% are seniors.
To serve this large senior population, there are five assisted living facilities in the Dubuque area. Like other assisted living facilities in the state, they’re licensed by the Health Facilities Division of the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Dubuque
- The Dubuque area has relatively clean air. The American Lung Association ranks the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City metropolitan area among the cleanest in the country by one measure of air pollution, ozone. Also called “smog,” ozone is especially dangerous for seniors. By retiring in Dubuque, seniors may breathe a little more easily.
- Overall, Dubuque’s cost of living is 9.9% lower than the national average. In this city, housing costs are a whopping 23.1% lower than average. Transportation costs, at 19.4% below average, are also affordable. These low costs may help seniors stretch their retirement savings.
- In Dubuque, winters are cold and snowy. While the average American city receives 28 inches of snow per year, Dubuque gets 38 inches. Winter sports enthusiasts will have plenty of opportunities to take part in their favorite activities. With summer highs in the 80s, seniors who prefer summer sports will have the same opportunity.
- Retirees in Dubuque may benefit from several tax advantages. The state doesn’t tax Social Security benefits. While other types of retirement income are taxable, exemptions are available that may lower seniors’ tax burdens. For single seniors, up to $6,000 of retirement income may be exempt, and for couples, it's $12,000.
- The Dubuque area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MercyOne Dubuque, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Jule, Dubuque’s public transit system, operates a fixed route bus system that connects much of the city. Seniors that can’t use the regular bus can ride the Minibus, a door-to-door bus service. The Nightrider, an evening bus service that operates during the school year, offers half-price fares to seniors.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Dubuque
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Dubuque start around $3,795 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Dubuque and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Dubuque
To help seniors pay for assisted living in Dubuque, Iowa offers the Elderly Waiver program. This Medicaid waiver may pay for assisted living services. Low-income seniors may also receive financial assistance through the State Supplementary Assistance program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Dubuque
Dubuque and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Dubuque, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Dubuque
Dubuque-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Dubuque, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Dubuque
Review of Oak Park Place Dubuque
We're relatively satisfied with Oak Park Place Dubuque. My father just has a one-bedroom apartment in the assisted living, and he is doing well. Everything is fine up to this point. Read more
Review of Sunset Park Place
Sunset Park Place is very nice and we're happy with it. The room my mom is in is very nice. The staff is very helpful and from day one they were very good. The food is very good and excellent. They... Read more
Review of Oak Park Place Dubuque
My mom has been at Oak Park Place for three years now. It's very nice. I liked the staff, that's why we kept her there. They're very approachable, they answer all your questions, and they've been v... Read more