5 Assisted Living Facilities in Freeport, IL
Also serving communities of Elizabeth, Galena.
The average cost of assisted living in Freeport is $3,448 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 19 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Freeport. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Freeport 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Brodhead with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Freeport, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Freeport
Located south of the Wisconsin State line in Stephenson County, Freeport is home to over 20,000 people. Roughly 18% of the population is comprised of senior citizens over the age of 65. Seniors who wish to live in an assisted living community in Stephenson’s county seat have over 30 options from which to choose.
In Freeport and the rest of Illinois, assisted living facilities are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health. They provide care to senior residents who are mostly independent but need assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs).
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Freeport
- Winters are cold in Freeport with the average temperature around 12, which can be a challenge for seniors who enjoy the outdoors. However, they can take advantage of the summer months' average temperature of 84, a cooler temperature than most places in Illinois.
- The Pretzel City Area Transit is a transportation service with buses and vans that connects the residents of Freeport to the surrounding areas of Stephenson County. Seniors who are 60 years and older qualify for donation-based transportation.
- Violent and property crime in Freeport is 12.2 and 41.2 respectively on a scale to 100 (100 ranked as high crime), in comparison to 24.8 and 30.9 in the greater Illinois area. Freeport is generally less prevalent to crime and suitable for senior residents who like a quiet and peaceful town.
- Freeport has good air quality, ranked 73 on a scale of 100 (with 100 being the best) as measured by the National Air Toxics Assessment, making it ideal for residents with respiratory illnesses.
- The Freeport area is home to world-class medical facilities, including FHN Memorial Hospital and VA Freeport Clinic, in the event of medical emergencies or illnesses.
- Freeport has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Freeport Senior Community Service Center, an organization that helps residents with everyday activities, payment of services and health care provisions, as well as a Family Community Resource Center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Freeport
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Freeport start around $3,448 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Freeport and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Freeport
Assisted living residents in Freeport can take advantage of financial assistance through a Medicaid Waiver connected to the Illinois Supportive Living Program. The initiative supports low-income seniors as well as residents with physical disabilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Freeport
Freeport and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Freeport, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Freeport
Freeport-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Freeport
Review of Parkview Home of Freeport
Parkview Home of Freeport was very good and clean. The person who showed us through was very helpful and explained everything. Everything was great in it. The tenants were very helpful. Read more
Review of Oakley Courts Assisted Living
Oakley Courts is a good place. My dad really likes it, and he's happy there. The food is great, the people are nice, and the care is good. They also have activities and trips for the residents. The... Read more
Review of Oakley Courts Assisted Living
My mother moved into Oakley Courts. We're happy with it and pleased with what they have for her, and it's a pleasant place. They do outings, have guest singers, crafts, and exercises. The food is g... Read more