3 Assisted Living Facilities in Sterling, IL
Also serving communities of Franklin Grove.
The average cost of assisted living in Sterling is $4,050 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,595.
To help you with your search, browse the 5 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sterling. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sterling 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sterling, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Sterling, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sterling
Sterling has an especially large number of parks for its size, making it a good choice of seniors who like to walk. The senior population of Sterling is 17.5 percent, which is slightly above the national average of 15.6 percent in the United States.
The Sterling area has 7 assisted living facilities, with three in Sterling and the other four in nearby areas like Mendota. The Illinois Department of Health regulates assisted living facilities, which it describes as "assisted living and shared housing establishments." These facilities provide help with the activities of daily living, such as hygiene, eating and grooming as well as medication reminders and general care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sterling
- Sterling is located in Whiteside County, which is in northwest Illinois. The weather can be cold in this region, with an average low of 10 degrees and an average high of 26 degrees in January. Seniors may therefore find it difficult to go outdoors during the winter in Sterling. The temperature in July ranges from a low of 62 degrees to a high of 82 degrees.
- The cost of living is relatively low in Sterling, since it’s a rural area. The overall cost of living 79.3 percent of the national average, primarily since the cost of housing is only 41 percent of the national average. Other expenses such as groceries, healthcare and utilities are close to the national average, so seniors shouldn't have a problem with their monthly expenses.
- The overall crime rate in Sterling is relatively high, since it’s safer than only 12 percent of the cities in the United States. However, the rate of violent crime is significantly lower at 2.62 per thousand people per year, compared to an annual rate of 4.36 crimes per thousand people for Illinois. Seniors should be safer in Sterling than in many other cities.
Whiteside County Public Transportation provides transportation for residents of Whiteside County with state and federal funding. The standard one-way fare in town is $2, but senior citizens age 60 and older only pay $1. Transportation out of town is $0.25 per mile for everyone.
- The Whiteside County Senior Center offers a variety of recreational activities for seniors in Sterling. Games include bingo, card games and pool. Exercises and line dancing are also part of the regular schedule. Other activities include day trips and trips out of state.
- The Sterling area is home to world-class medical facilities, including CGH Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sterling
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Sterling start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sterling and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sterling
Illinois has nine waiver programs for various community and home-based services, including assisted living. These programs are tailored for individuals with a variety of specific needs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sterling
Sterling and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sterling, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sterling
Sterling-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sterling
Review of Avonlea Cottage Of Sterling
Avonlea Cottage of Sterling is small, but very good, and my mom is very happy there. The place is very clean and very nice inside and outside. I really like the people who are running it. The food ... Read more
Review of Heritage Woods of Sterling
Heritage Woods of Sterling was nice, and the rooms were nice. The overall facility was clean, and they had an arts and crafts room and a room where you could bake. They were a pretty decent place. Read more
Review of Morningside of Sterling
We liked Morningside of Sterling, but the only problem was I'm 68, and my wife at the time was 63. They said she couldn't come in because both parties have to be 65 years old. The rooms were nice, ... Read more