7 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Walton Beach, FL
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fort Walton Beach area, with 4 in Fort Walton Beach and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Fort Walton Beach is $3,473 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,595.
To help you with your search, browse the 82 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fort Walton Beach. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fort Walton Beach 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Santa Rosa Beach with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 13 families in Fort Walton Beach find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Walton Beach, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Walton Beach, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Walton Beach
There are many enjoyable amenities in Fort Walton Beach, located in north Florida along the Gulf Coast. Situated between Pensacola and Panama City, this city features white sand beaches, golf courses, parks, museums, and aquariums for seniors — almost 18 percent of the population — to explore and enjoy.
There are also three assisted living (ALF) facilities located within the city limits and eight nearby in places like Shalimar and Niceville. AFLs provide an array of services, including 24-hour supervision and security, health and exercise programs, laundry services and housing. Assisted Living Facilities (ALFs) in Fort Walton Beach are regulated by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Walton Beach
- The Fort Walton Beach area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Fort Walton Beach Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Fort Walton Beach has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Northwest Florida Agency on Aging, which provides information and referral services to available programs for seniors, as well as four senior centers.
- The cost of living in Fort Walton Beach is slightly lower than other cities in the state of Florida and the United States. Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference in Fort Walton Beach, with the cost of an average home around $182,500 in 2017.
- Crime is about the same in Fort Walton Beach as it is in other cities within the state and comparable cities within the United States. This makes Fort Walton and relatively safe place to live.
- The weather in Fort Walton Beach is mild year-round, which is ideal for those who enjoy outdoor activity. The area does receive an above-average amount of rainfall that is normal for most cities in Florida.
- There are several transportation options for seniors within Fort Walton Beach, including the Okaloosa County Transit, which offers reduced fares for the elderly and disabled. The city also has a Dial-A-Ride program through the Florida Commission for the Transportation Disadvantage to provide cost-sharing assistance for those who meet income requirements.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Walton Beach
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Fort Walton Beach start around $3,498 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Walton Beach and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Walton Beach
The Statewide Managed Medicaid Care Long-Term Care program offers financial assistance to individuals who require an AFL. The Assistive Care Services program is another state program that is available to eligible individuals. A person may qualify for one or both programs, but those who utilize both programs must have a service plan in place that dictates which program pays for each service.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Walton Beach
Fort Walton Beach and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Walton Beach, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Walton Beach
Fort Walton Beach-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Fort Walton Beach, FL
Other Options in Fort Walton Beach, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fort Walton Beach
Review of Meridian at Westwood
Meridian at Westwood was great and had friendly people. There's a huge covered open atrium where everybody gets down there to hang around, play games, and do exercise classes. It was awesome. The l... Read more
Review of Bay Port of Fort Walton Beach
Bay Port of Fort Walton Beach is brand new, so everything is immaculate, and it looks nice. I can't remember the name of the person who showed me around and talked to me, but she was very friendly ... Read more
Review of Meridian at Westwood
My mother-in-law has moved into Meridian at Westwood. The best part of it is the staff, they're very friendly, and they check on my mother-in-law two or three times a day and make sure everything's... Read more