8 Assisted Living Facilities near Shalimar, FL
Also serving communities of Destin.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Shalimar area, with 1 in Shalimar and 7 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 78 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shalimar. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shalimar 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fort Walton Beach with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shalimar, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Shalimar, FL
7 Assisted Living Facilities near Shalimar, FL
Promotion ends in 5 days!
$199 First Month's Rent..... Move In by 6/31/19, and your first month is $199! Must pay community... (more)
Assisted Living near Shalimar, FL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shalimar
Review of Hawthorn House
My mother is on the waiting list for Hawthorn House. The facility was by far the best we visited in this area. They have 1-bedroom units, and there were a lot of military facilities on the grounds.... Read more
Review of Hawthorn House
Since I was fifteen years old, I have had the opportunity to visit, volunteer, and minister in many varied senior living facilities. Whether they were nursing homes, retirement facilities, or assis... Read more
Review of Hawthorn House
My mother lives at the Hawthorne House and I have to say that the care and love that I have seen towards her and others is exceptional!!! As I live 9 hours away, when I come to visit I have actual... Read more
Assisted Living near Okaloosa County, FL
More Options Near Shalimar, FL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shalimar
Shalimar is known as one of the best places to retire in Okaloosa County. It offers beautiful views of the Gulf and plenty of water activities. Seniors looking for an assisted living facility along the Gulf of Mexico can find one within the town limits of Shalimar, Florida and 11 in nearby locations. Assisted living facilities in Shalimar are regulated by the Bureau of Health Facility Regulation. Those with a standard license offer routine personal care, while those with a specialty license include limited nursing services and extended congregate care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shalimar
- The Shalimar area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Shalimar Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Shalimar has an array of community resources for seniors, including the United Way, an organization that helps provide meals and improves the health and well-being of seniors as well as two senior centers.
- The Okaloosa County Transportation Department provides a Dial-A-Ride service for seniors and disabled individuals to and from medical appointments and various errands. Rides must be scheduled in advance, and rides are provided at reduced fares or free.
- Seniors on a budget may find it slightly challenging to live in Shalimar. Based on the national average of 100, the cost of living in the city is 109.7 which is nearly the same as the state's average of 111.
- Seniors can feel safe in Shalimar due to the low rate of crime. Based on a scale from one (low) to 100 (high), the rate for property crime is 21.4 and the rate for violent crime is 19.2 The national average for property crime is 38.1 and the average for violent crime is 31.1.
- Shalimar is the perfect place to go to escape the snow and freezing temperatures. The average January low is around 41. Summers are hot and humid with highs around 89. The city does get around 66 inches of rain per year which is higher than the average city in the U.S. which gets 39 inches.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shalimar
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Florida
Assisted Living costs in Shalimar start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shalimar and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shalimar
Seniors who require assistance paying for an assisted living facility in Shalimar may qualify for waivers under the state Medicaid plan. The Managed long-term care program covers facilities with a standard license, while the assistive care services waiver covers assisted living facilities and licensed adult family homes. Eligible seniors may get help through one or both programs. Private rooms may be requested and paid for with family supplementation.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shalimar
Shalimar and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shalimar, please visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shalimar
Shalimar-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.