For Older Gals: Bring on the Meat. And the Fish, Tofu, and Eggs.
Last updated: May 12, 2008
Think “ fall prevention ” and what comes to mind? Walkers and canes, getting rid of easy-to-trip-on throw rugs, installing bathroom grab bars, maybe checking out senior exercise classes.
Add meat. (Lean, please.) And eggs, chicken, tofu and nuts. Yep, protein. And make that plenty of it, especially for your mom.
As we age, we lose muscle mass, making us weaker and more prone to falling. Exercise and a balanced diet with ample protein, which builds muscle, help counter this effect.
But when looking closer at the relationship between protein and muscle, researchers at
So what’s an old gal supposed to do? Get adequate protein, says Dr. Bettina Mittendorfer,
a professor of medicine at
What's enough protein? Dr. Mittendorfer agrees with the government’s RDA or recommended daily allowance: 0.8 grams of protein for every 2.2 pounds you weigh. Say what? Translation: about 70 grams of protein daily for a 154-pound person, or 50 grams for a 100-pounder. Helpful hint: protein is expressed in grams on food labels. Here's a handy on-line food by food protein counter .
Protein is actually pretty complictated stuff. But there's good information out there, including for seniors. Check:
- The US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrition.gov senior page, and MyPyramid, nutritional guide
- MedlinePlus nutrition for seniors . (National Institutes of Health and the National Library of Medicine)
- Harvard School of Public Health's protein report
Photo by Flickr user Wildcat Dunny under the creative commons attribution license.
- The Junk Wars: 8 Ways to Get Rid of Aging Parents' "Stuff"
- Know Thy Father: A Guide to Dad's Day
- Don't Wait for a Doctor's Visit to Test for High Blood Pressure
- 8 Spring Pick-Me-Ups for Tired Caregivers
- 10 Feel-Good Dementia Caregiver New Year Resolutions
- How to Say Thank You to a Caregiver This Thanksgiving
- Mom Far Away? Cool Gift Ideas, and Yes, There's Still Time!
- World Alzheimer's Day and Why People With Alzheimer's Need It
- Secret Cure for Deadly Stress: Taking the Team Approach
- Prescription Medications Cost Too Much? Here's What to Do