Salt Lake City, the capital of Utah, is the most populous city in the state with 199,723 residents, 11.1% of whom are senior citizens. Salt Lake City has been ranked as one of the best cities in the country to retire, thanks to its low cost of living, affordable health care and beautiful environment.

Assisted living facilities offer support with tasks of daily living, including grooming, laundry and transportation. They’re ideal for seniors who can no longer live independently but don’t require the round-the-clock medical care given by a nursing home. In Salt Lake City, seniors pay $3,310 per month on average for assisted living, which is lower than the state average of $3,500.

This guide provides an introduction to assisted living in Salt Lake City and useful information that aims to help with decision-making when choosing long-term care. Read on to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of city living and other long-term care options and their average monthly costs.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Salt Lake City, UT

2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Pacifica Senior Living Millcreek

777 East 3900 South, Salt Lake City, UT, 84107

Pacifica Senior Living Millcreek is conveniently located in a suburb 15 minutes south of Salt Lake City. It is only a block from St. Mark’s Hospital and is close to shopping centers, restaurants and p … (read more)

The Wellington

4522 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT, 84117

The Wellington is a senior living facility located outside Salt Lake City, in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains. It’s conveniently located between I-15 and I-215 close to shopping centers, restau … (read more)

2015

Sunrise at Holladay

4650 S. Highland Drive, Salt Lake City, UT, 84117

Sunrise at Holladay is located south of Salt Lake City, off I-215. The location is convenient to shopping centers, restaurants and St. Mark’s Hospital. Visitors love the warm and elegant decor, clean … (read more)

Cottonwood Creek

1245 E Murray Holladay Road, Salt Lake City, UT, 84117

Cottonwood Creek senior living facility is located in beautiful Holladay, Utah. It is less than 20 minutes from Salt Lake City, and easily accessible from I-215. Residents enjoy the park-like surround … (read more)

Capital Hill Senior Living

76 South 500 East, Salt Lake City, UT, 84102

Capital Hill Senior Living is one of the places I went to visit. It’s assisted living but if you need more care, they have that too. I saw a studio, a one-bedroom, and a two-bedroom. I was not interes … (read more)

The Ridge Foothill

2363 S. Foothill Drive, Salt Lake City, UT, 84109

The Ridge Foothill is an exceptionally well-reviewed independent living, assisted living and memory care community in Salt Lake City, Utah near Highway 186 by Parleys Historic Nature Park. In their re … (read more)

Legacy Village of Sugar House

1212 E. Wilmington Avenue, Salt Lake City, UT, 84105

Legacy Village of Sugar House is very clean. They offer a lot of amenities. The one-bedroom is very, very spacious, nice, and very clean. No marks on the walls. The carpets have been cleaned. There ar … (read more)

Rocky Mountain Care Sarah Daft Home

737 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT, 84102

Sarah Daft Home is a small place. They seem to know each other there. It’s very home-like. My husband’s room was kept clean. He was well taken care of and he liked the food very much when he was there … (read more)

The Haven At Millcreek

1871 East 3300 South, Salt Lake City, UT, 84106

We were impressed. Everyone seemed very happy, the staff included. I got to meet some of the residents, and they seemed very happy too. I was there at lunchtime, so I got to see what their meals looke … (read more)

Escalante at Coventry

6898 S 2300 E, Salt Lake City, UT, 84121

We have been to the Escalante at Coventry several times. I’m going to choose this for my parents because of the price and location. They’ve got a lot of amenities and everything that our parents need. … (read more)

BeeHive Homes of Salt Lake City

2891 S 2000 E, Salt Lake City, UT, 84109

Alta Ridge Assisted Living of Holladay

1009 E. Murray-Holladay Road, Salt Lake City, UT, 84117

My mom and dad were residents of Alta Ridge at different times and I was amazed at the care and love that was given them.

2016

Highland Cove

3750 Highland Drive, Salt Lake City, UT, 84106

I was impressed by the staffing. Kind, loving and genuinely there for the people. Mom felt at ease with this community. We have toured several on Highland Drive , Highland Cove was the one my mom like … (read more)

Summit Senior Living

5524 W 6200 S, Salt Lake City, UT, 84118

We went to see Summit Senior Living 3 weeks ago and toured their assisted living. I like their willingness to help there and they seem to have everything covered for needs such as flu shots and pharma … (read more)

All Seasons of East Millcreek – CLOSED

3681 S 2300 E, Salt Lake City, UT, 84109

My parents are residents for 6 months now. It’s a smaller community, with about 20 rooms, and they have a gathering area outside of the rooms, where people can converse. The have a kitchen area where … (read more)

Rosewood Assisted Care

464 East 3700 South, Salt Lake City, UT, 84115

My mother is in Rosewood Assisted Care, and it’s been a good experience for her. It’s a nice small building, so there are not too many people. The staff has been wonderful. The accommodations are very … (read more)

The Avenues Courtyard Assisted Living

661 East 100 South, Salt Lake City, UT, 84102

The Avenues Courtyard Assisted Living was OK. They have good staff and good programs. The private rooms were underwhelming. The facility as a whole was easy to understand and get around and it had wel … (read more)

Evergreen Rest Home

2374 EVERGREEN AVENUE, Salt Lake City, UT, 84109

I love this facility. I looked at several before I found it and considered it a great blessing. Because it is small residents are more able to recognize the staff than in much larger facilities. Resid … (read more)

Niitsuma Living Center

4347 South 700 East, Salt Lake City, UT, 84107

I am in my 18th year at Niitsuma Living Center. I find it a friendly atmosphere, a helpful atmosphere. I was overweight 366 lbs and I am now 216 lbs. The food is home cooked and delicious. The staff i … (read more)

Life Care Center of Salt Lake City

1201 East 4500 South, Salt Lake City, UT, 84117

I was a volunteer here for a while. The staff did know everyone’s name, but I felt like they were ignoring everyone. There were wheelchairs lined up all over the hallways. If I mentioned someone ne … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in Salt Lake City

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in Utah. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City assisted living facilities are overseen by the Bureau of Health Facility Licensing, Certification and Resident Assessment, which is assigned by the state Department of Health to regulate health care facilities in Utah. It ensures facilities have the correct licenses, buildings are up to safety standards and on-site inspections and background checks on staff are performed.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Salt Lake City

• Salt Lake City has relatively affordable medical care and was ranked the 15th best state in the U.S. for overall health care, taking cost, access and outcomes into account. Utah boasts the second-lowest average monthly insurance premiums, as well as the second-lowest number of hospital beds per capita. It’s ranked at 47 in the U.S. for its number of physicians. Nonetheless, Salt Lake City has some high-quality health care facilities, including the University of Utah Hospital.
  • Like many cities, Salt Lake City has one of the highest crime rates in the U.S. of 84 per one thousand residents. The violent crime rate is much higher than the state average at 9.36 per 1,000 inhabitants compared to only 2.59 in Utah. Property crime (74.7 per 1,000 residents ) is also significantly higher than both the state (24.48) and national (19) averages. However, seniors can feel comfortable in the city because most assisted living facilities have security measures in place, such as 24-hour surveillance.
  • The city boasts an excellent public transportation system, with buses and trains providing access to most of the city. In addition, there are also specialized senior transportation services, such as Mobility Transportation Services, which provide nonemergency medical transportation.
  • Salt Lake City has four distinct weather seasons. It has cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers. However, late April to mid-June and late August to mid-October typically offer the most pleasant conditions for enjoying the outdoors. Summers can often reach above 100°F and winters can be bitterly cold, but rarely go below 0°F.
  • Salt Lake City offers seniors a wide variety of entertainment options. It has art galleries, high-end restaurants and museums for seniors who enjoy arts and culture. For seniors who prefer to get outside, the city is surrounded by stunning natural features, including the Great Salt Lake, the Bonneville Salt Flats and Mount Timpanogos.

Paying for Assisted Living in Salt Lake City

According to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey, the average cost of Assisted Living in Salt Lake City is $3,310 per month, making it cheaper than the state and national averages. The average cost in the state of Utah is $3,500, whereas the national average is $4,500.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

At $3,310 per month, Salt Lake City is one of the most affordable cities for assisted living in Utah. The only city which is marginally cheaper is Logan at $3,300 per month. In the neighboring city of Ogden, the average monthly cost is higher at $3,663. The most expensive city for assisted living in the state is Provo, where the average monthly cost is $3,695.

$3310

Ogden

$3695

Provo

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors in Salt Lake City have a variety of choices when it comes to long-term care. For seniors who desire in-home care, the average cost of homemaker services is $5,625 per month, and the average cost of home health aide services, which also provides medical support, is $5,661. Seniors who require the highest level of care have nursing home options in the city. A private room costs $8,228 per month on average, while a semi-private room costs $7,437 per month.

$5625

Homemaker Services

$5661

Home Health Aide

$3310

Assisted Living Facility

$7437

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8228

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Salt Lake City

Seniors who reside in assisted living facilities in Salt Lake City may be eligible for funding assistance under the Medicaid 1915(c) New Choices Waiver program.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Utah page.

Paying for Assisted Living in Utah

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Utah page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Salt Lake City

In Salt Lake City, seniors who live in assisted living facilities have access to a variety of resources. There are nonprofit organizations and local government agencies that provide a variety of free services and support, such as senior centers, nutrition programs and recreational activities.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Long-Term Care Ombudsman program aims to provide support to seniors in long-term care facilities as well as those using home health services. They advocate for citizens by providing resources and assisting them with any problems they may have but are unable to resolve on their own, such as neglect or abuse.

Columbus Senior Center offers programs, activities and lunches for seniors to encourage socialization and independence. It offers at least one activity daily, such as tai chi, yoga and line dancing. Other social activities include bingo and chess. Every month a medical professional visits and provides health screenings and gives relevant health information.

The Utah Commission on Aging offers a variety of services to support seniors. There are many social programs and activities available such as therapeutic art. It also offers resources to caregivers such as assistance with advance care planning.

Salt Lake County Aging and Adult Services partners with Utah Legal Services' Senior Citizen Law Center to provide legal assistance to seniors aged 60 or older relating to issues such as health, housing, benefits entitlement and family.

The Aging and Adult Protective Services offers a hotline phone number that supports seniors with reports of abuse and neglect. Its website also has a 24/7 abuse reporting form.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Salt Lake City

Salt Lake City Assisted Living Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Assisted Living Facilities in Utah are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Utah page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Utah