The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak

The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak (800) 385-2527

Reviews of The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak

Assisted Living Reviews for The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak

October 27, 2015

When you walk into the hall of The Laurels, one side is their library and the other side was like a giant living room with real nice leather sofas and tables. It’s really friendly. We started walking down into the actual rooms and the first thing my brother and I noticed was it didn’t smell like anything or have any odor. It smelled great. The hallways are really clean. The pictures they set up were pictures from the old days. It was a nice atmosphere. They showed us a demo room that had a whole wall of windows facing the outside. Their cafeteria is set up like a restaurant with menus to choose from. Another big part that we really like is the program they offer for keeping the people active. They have a good activity program. My dad is 92, and he’s in a walker and likes to get around. There is an opportunity for him to go around the place. They have an outside picnic area and a nice garden that's designed for people like that. They also play bingo and dominoes. I was totally impressed. It’s great place that doesn’t’ feel like assisted living. It feels like a home.

October 19, 2015

By Caring Daughter28

The Laurel and the Haven was our favorite. The grounds, the rooms, the dining room was very clean, nice, kept-up and looks brand new. That was by far the prettiest and the biggest. Everything about it was first class. They provided us a meal and the food was good. The overall atmosphere was very good. The manager, the one who gave us the tour and showed us around, she was excellent and very friendly with all the other residents. She knew them and they know her. The residents seemed happy. The neighborhood was quiet and nice. It’s near the medical center areas and the grounds themselves were park like.

May 26, 2015

By Beverly106245550

I was also impressed with The Laurels. The big problem was that they didn't have any vacancies. They couldn't tell me how many people were on the waiting list, and of course, they couldn't tell when they were going to have another vacancy because that's an unpredictable thing. My husband and I toured The Laurels, and we talked to the residents. They had 4 levels of care, and each level had their own dining room. We visited one lady in her room, and it was fine with her that we came in and looked. We were really impressed with it.

May 15, 2015

The Haven in Stone Oak wasn't as well-organized. It was a nice community, but the staff didn't seem to be as well-organized. One thing in particular -- the dining room was small, and it was crowded, so not all the residents could eat there at the same time. The other residents would have to wait because there was no room for them to sit, so they would have to wait to eat their lunch until someone else got finished. The dining room wasn't big enough to accommodate all the residents at mealtime. The staff seemed friendly, but kind of rushed and hurried. It was clean. It would be good for them to have a larger dining room that could accommodate all the residents.

February 25, 2015

By daustin888

Nothing's perfect, but I'm pleased with The Haven and the Laurels in Stone Oak. My husband has been there for 10 weeks now. It has great wallpaper. We wished they had more aides. The care is more important than the wallpaper, but it's very nice and clean. They treated him well; we just need more caregivers. They are so compassionate and kind. I'm very pleased with that part. He has a shared room enough for two people. They have a chef on-duty, and their food is very good. He doesn't do any activities, but they do have lots of things; they take bus drives, they go to the library, they have bingo and crafts -- there is something going on everyday for the ones that can.

January 24, 2015

The Laurels & The Haven was recommended by my doctor and a couple of people I knew. The rooms are fine. The people were accommodating during my visit. My impression was that it is very clean and very well run. They seem to have plenty of staff.

December 28, 2014

By Cherri2

We visited The Laurels at Stone Oak. We really like this place. Mother seemed to like it too. However, the apartments were small compared to what Mother is used to. We thought everyone was very friendly and very good. Everyone talked to us from the recreational director to the nurse. We ate lunch there, and the chef came out and talked to us. We had a great experience there. They were having a big Veterans Day with the guard marching in.

November 14, 2014

I'm at The Laurels (The Laurels and The Haven in Stone Oak), and I love it. My pastor recommended it. Everything runs beautifully over here. The dining area is good. We have a wonderful chef. I love it here. I love the food. The staff is wonderful. The security is wonderful. We have GPS monitors. I was in the laundry room a little bit too long here a couple of nights ago, and they sent somebody upstairs to see if I was OK.

September 30, 2014

By Caring95191650

We’ve moved into The Laurels & The Haven. It’s very clean. It’s a very nice facility. Everybody has been wonderful. We have a 2-bedroom: it’s very nice and very adequate. They have 3 meals a day. The food is very good; the dining facility is fine. We love it here.

February 27, 2014

By Bobbie Sena

The Laurels was perfect. You could not find a thing wrong. Everything was just super clean, super beautiful, neat, delicious food, nice people and wonderful environment. On a surface of it, just visiting you would think it's perfect. I went for lunch and an interview. I liked that it's right by the hospital, doctors, and dentist that I used. I liked that very much. But I know better. I know that you have to live in a place to know what it's really like.

June 07, 2012

By commercesd

While driving through San Antonio, we decided to stop in and visit The Laurels in Stone Oak, since we were looking for an assisted living facility where my brother's friend could live. We were impressed that they could accommodate our last-minute visit. The area is very convenient for the family. The main area seemed clean and well tended, and the decor was quite nice and fresh. The facility was well tended and very nice for seniors and they receive the level of care and supervision they need. The food we saw looked very appetizing. The dining areas have many options. From more intimate to communal dining, resident can choose whatever they like in addition to hosting guests in their own spaces. The choices looked nutritious and delicious, as well as the regular snacks offered continually. The variety of activities offered was impressive. Just about any hobby you might have can be accommodated and many more. The staff goes out of its way to suggest stimulating things to do, from reading, to playing games and enjoying outings in the community. The living suites were all a nice size and did not seem cramped. They were also beautifully decorated. The rooms we viewed were all very clean, well-kept and inviting - kind of resembling what you might find at a nice bed and breakfast. We liked the exercise room where they had yoga mats and machines. They also have scheduled classes for those who are interested. We felt that this is a facility where anyone can live well in their later years.

December 07, 2011

By katiebobatie

I went to nearby Reagan high school, so I could frequently visit. I've heard so many horror stories about assisted living homes, but this one is ridiculously nice. What first struck me about the facility was how beautiful and clean it was. Where my great aunt was staying, there were individual apartments. My great aunt had carefully arranged hers, and it seemed a lot like her home, only different. When I would visit, we'd tour the grounds, enjoying the gardens and hang out by the playground. My great aunt always seemed to be in the middle of scheduled activities, many of which seemed more fun that anything I was doing at school. It also always comforted me that the facility is literally a stone's throw away from a major hospital. My great aunt passed away recently, but I'm happy she spent her last few years there, among her many friends, surrounded by life, activity and beauty.

Questions about The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Staff go through orientation upon hiring before beginning their duties and are required to attend monthly training throughout the year. Plus memory care staff have regular training on various areas of memory care specific subjects.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We offer both Type A and Type B assisted living with Type B rates typically being higher due to higher levels of care. The average age of our residents is 82. Residents enjoy a variety of activities ranging from bingo and dominoes to outings, movies, lunch outings and entertainment .

What programs or activities does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer a variety of activities both on and off campus including happy hour with entertainment, group games such as bingo, dominoes and bridge. We also provide arts and crafts such as jewelry making and painting. We have outings every Monday to movies, restaurants for lunch and trips to the grocery store.

What places are near The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We have several churches immediately across the street and residential outings are provided weekly. We are also within a mile of several major medical centers.

What transportation services does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak offer to assisted living residents?

We have two buses (large and small) to take residents on outings as well as provide transportation to and from doctors appointments Tuesday through Thursday.

What makes the chef or dining program at The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We offer restaurant style dining with choices of entrees, sides and desserts as well as soup and salad. We offer specials for breakfast each day and provide an al a carte menu available all the time.

What safety features or security measures does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak offer to assisted living residents?

We issue safety pendants to each new resident that provides immediate notification to nurses and aids in the event of an emergency. The pendant has a GPS tracking system built in so we can locate the resident if they are not in their apartment.. We also have nurses and resident aids on site 24/7.

How does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We call family members if there is an issue and are able to reach out to them whenever necessary. We also meet face to face when necessary.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak during daytime and nighttime hours?

The ratio varies depending on the number of residents, but it always meets or exceeds state standards

If The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do accept small pets as long as the resident is able to personally care for them. We have an lawn area where they can walk their dogs. Cats must have litter boxes that are emptied and cleaned on a regular basis. There is a fee for pets and owners must provide current shots and vet records

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

There is a nurse and resident aids 24/7 There is more staff during the day. Ratio varies according to occupancy.

What safety features or security measures does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak provide to protect residents who wander?

The pendants that are issued can be equipped with an alarm, however, our assisted living does not accept residents who are an elopement or wander risk. If they are they are placed in our memory care neighborhood.

What programs or activities does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We offer the Bridge to Rediscovery Program based on the Montessori method of engaging residents up to the level they can participate.

The Nurse Directors are responsible for doing preliminary assessment on potential residents before they move in and then again after 30 days after admission. Assessments are then done annually or after a significant change in health.

What techniques does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Residents who are able to feed themselves do so with oversite of the aides. Others who cannot feed themselves are assisted by the aides. We do not do one on one feeding however.

How does The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Families are kept informed of their loved ones health and may inquire at any time with the nurses when they have questions.

Describe the neighborhood around The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

The Haven and The Laurels in Stone Oak is in a residental neighborhood surrounded by schools, churches and homes.

Is The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

The resident and/or their family designate at move in which hospital they would like to be sent to when necessary.

Costs for The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak

• Spanish

• Pets: Yes

• State Licenses: assisted living 133562(A); 134210(B); memory care 101357

About The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak

The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak, an assisted living and Alzheimer's and dementia care residence, is located in beautiful, historic San Antonio, Texas.

The Laurels

The Laurels is among the finest assisted living residences anywhere. The architectural design, layout, and decor are superb; the multiple levels of care and activities provide customized care for each individual resident; and every member of The Laurels in Stone Oak staff is a dedicated professional. The Laurels offers a variety of floor plans with an array of living options, as well as multiple dining, recreational, service, and social areas -- all beautifully appointed and decorated.

Wide, well-lit hallways and a well-designed floor plan make all areas handicap accessible. The landscaped grounds include gardens, playgrounds, and visiting areas.

The Haven

The Haven is an assisted living residence designed, programmed, and staffed for individuals with early, middle, and late stages of Alzheimer's and dementia. Tailored to enhance dignity and foster independence, The Haven has licensed and offers a progressive approach, which encourages family participation through care planning, education, special events, and support groups.

This 40,000-square foot assisted living residence is separated into two main areas - The Public House and The Private House. The Public House contains the business office, kitchen area, an activity/community room, and other meeting areas. The Private House is dedicated completely to the comfort and well-being of our residents and contains three assisted living neighborhoods - each designed for the early, middle, or late stages of Alzheimer's and dementia; a dining and sitting area as well as a TV room; a spa; and Main Street, which includes an ice cream parlor, a beauty salon, and other life skills areas reminiscent of 1940s Main Street America.

Map of The Haven & The Laurels in Stone Oak