Princeton, New Jersey, is home to more than 30,000 residents, of whom 15.7% are aged 65+. To support the aging population in Princeton, the city is home to several well-equipped hospitals and medical centers where residents can get the care they need. Penn Medicine Princeton Medical Center and Princeton Medical Institute are just two of the facilities located in the city. Princeton Health offers a Diabetes Management Program to support seniors living with the condition, including follow-up care and necessary referrals.

Nursing home costs in New Jersey are fairly high compared to the rest of the nation, with a semiprivate room in Princeton sitting at an average of $11,650 monthly, according to the Genworth 2021 Cost of Care Survey. While the national average is $7,908 monthly, the higher prices reflect the developed urban area in and around Princeton. Nursing homes are beneficial to frail seniors who require round-the-clock access to a skilled nursing staff. These facilities offer more support than cheaper options such as home care or assisted living

The following guide to nursing care in Princeton provides insight into the cost of care homes in the area. It also provides a list of free resources to support seniors.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Princeton, NJ

Princeton Care Center

728 Bunn Drive, Princeton, NJ, 08540

My mother was a recent admission to the short term rehab facility and I was appalled at the substandard level of care she received. 1. We waited 1.5-2 hours before she was seen by a nurse upon her a … (read more)

Spring Hills Post Acute Princeton

5000 Windrow Drive, Princeton, NJ, 08540

JENNIFER the Manager of dieticians was excellent. The rest of the staff lazy. Patients call out shouting out for services are ignored. Beautiful place terrible care. Never see Doctors.

Regency Jewish Heritage Post-Acute Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

380 Demott Lane, Somerset, NJ, 08873

I would of gave 0 stars but there’s no option my mother been here for 2 years. The staff’s there are nasty and lazy I won’t recommend for you to bring your love ones here if you do you make sure you a … (read more)

Accela Rehab and Care Center at Somerton

650 Edison Ave, Philadelphia, PA, 19116

Once you get settled in and comfortable, you start adjusting and it starts feeling like home. The facility is filled with care and great people.

The Rehab Center at Wedgwood Gardens

3419 Route 9 North, Freehold, NJ, 07728

Everything from top to bottom was terrific. My brother received tremendous care while at Wedgwood Gardens Care Center for rehab. I give the highest regard to all of the nurses and staff at Wedgwood Ga … (read more)

Laurel Bay Health & Rehabilitation Center

32 Laurel Avenue, Keansburg, NJ, 07734

I had a family member here and it was a horrible experience for him. The place is dirty, the commode they gave him to use had feces on it. This place is not suitable for people and should be closed do … (read more)

Regency Nursing and Rehabilitation Centers

3325 Highway 35, Hazlet, NJ, 07730

The food here is good. I was surprised thinking it may not be. The cook is good.

2013

Masonic Village at Burlington

902 Jacksonville Road, Burlington, NJ, 08016

over all a good facility but new food service is poor and no snack are available in the dining area as there was in the past coffee and tea are only available during meals. Often the medical units are … (read more)

Paul’s Run

9896 Bustleton Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19115

My uncle is in Paul’s Run doing rehab. So far, it’s been superb. They’ve been taking the time to talk to him and try and explain every step of the way what’s happening and how we can get them to repor … (read more)

Brighton Gardens of Edison

1801 Oak Tree Road, Edison, NJ, 08820

Its been a while since my mother passed so I’m calm enough to give my feedback on my experience there. First off during our tour of the skilled rehab I wasn’t told that my mom would be moved from room … (read more)

Hamilton Grove Healthcare and Rehabilitation

2300 Hamilton Ave , Trenton, NJ, 08619

Everyone here is really wonderful. Everything is great in all the departments. The food is great. My whole family comes in and is so impressed.

Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack Park

8401 Roosevelt Blvd, Philadelphia, PA, 19152

The nursing care that my friend got at Wesley Enhanced Living Pennypack Park was very poor. I like the way the rooms were set up because the twin rooms have a wall that partitions the two beds. So it … (read more)

Reformed Church Home

1990 Route 18 North, Old Bridge, NJ, 08857

My husband was very handicapped. He could not walk, talk or do anything for himself. He has been ill for a long time and I could no longer care for him at home. Reformed Church Home was wonderful. … (read more)

Majestic Oaks Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

333 Newtown Road, Warminster, PA, 18974

Majestic Oaks Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is very caring and very professional. We haven’t had any issues with them at all. I have no complaints. The staff is very patient, helpful, and understa … (read more)

Wesley Enhanced Living Doylestown

200 Veterans Lane, Doylestown, PA, 18901

First what is good about this facility. it is clean well cared for, it even smells "normal" I don’t think the food is anything to rave about, but I think a lot of that has to do with the dietary re … (read more)

Pennswood Village

ROUTE 413, Newtown, PA, 18940

Greenleaf Nursing Home

400 SOUTH MAIN STREET, Doylestown, PA, 18901

I wrote a better review earlier today. But I asked for my pain medicine at 410pm that I am permitted to get every six hours. I should have received it at 425pm. It is now 630 and has come in three tim … (read more)

Oakwood Residence

2109 Red Lion Road, Philadelphia, PA, 19115

My husband was a resident of Oakwood Residence. He had the worst experience there that anyone could ever have. Some of the staff members were good, but the majority of them were poor. The first room t … (read more)

Chandler Hall

99 Barclay Street, Newtown, PA, 18940

When I visited my aunt I was amazed at how kind and helpful all of the staff members were and the exceptional care they provided to her. The facility itself is beautiful and it has a friendly feel to … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Princeton, NJ

The cost of a semiprivate room in a Princeton, NJ, nursing home is $11,650 per month. Meanwhile, the monthly cost of a private room in the city is $11,999.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The national median monthly cost of a semiprivate room in a nursing facility is $3,742 cheaper than in Princeton. However, the average cost of a semiprivate room in a Princeton nursing home is similar to the New Jersey average of $11,254.

Most New Jersey cities have relatively similar costs to the state median. The most significant cost difference is in Atlantic City, where semiprivate rooms are $2,125 less per month than in Princeton. At $10,007, Ocean City is also cheaper than Princeton. The area with the most comparable nursing home fees is Vineland, at just $624 less per month.

$11650

Ocean City Area

$11026

Vineland Area

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

When considering placing a loved one in a nursing home, it’s important to consider the costs of other types of senior care. A private room is slightly more expensive than semiprivate accommodations. More affordable options include home health care, at $5,243. For seniors requiring assistance beyond the home but still wishing to retain some independence, assisted living in Princeton is $8,145 per month. Home care is the second most affordable option, while adult day health care is the cheapest.

$5148

Adult Day Health Care

$8145

Assisted Living

$11650

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$11999

Nursing Home (private room)

Note: Data for Princeton was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Trenton Area, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Princeton, NJ

Free Resources for Seniors in Princeton, NJ

There are many resources available to seniors living in Princeton that can help them access support and create a sense of community outside their nursing facility. Families looking to move their loved one into a facility in New Jersey can use these resources to ensure a smooth process.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Princeton Senior Resource Center (PSRC) is a nonprofit organization serving Princeton residents aged 55+ and their families. The organization helps with care planning and the transition to nursing home care. The center also holds senior programming to help seniors with retirement planning, engage them in social and recreational activities such as fitness classes and provide technology assistance.

(609) 530-1971

The T.R.A.D.E. transportation assistance program is provided by Mercer County in New Jersey and incurs no costs to older adults. Seniors can schedule free transportation for door-to-door travel to medical appointments, nutritional services and more. They should book at least 2 weeks in advance to ensure availability, and a $1 donation per ride is appreciated.

The HomeFriends Program is available to seniors in Princeton and surrounding areas through the PSRC and VolunteerMatch. Together, they deliver a volunteer program that allows adults aged 40+ to offer their time to socialize with seniors for at least 1 hour per week. The program allows seniors living in Princeton to have companionship, conversation and regular social interactions even when they're living alone or in a nursing home.