The historic city of Hagerstown in Maryland has a population of approximately 40,100 residents of whom about 13.9% are seniors aged 65 and older. Seniors may be interested in the medical facilities in the city. Meritus Health is an emergency room and hospital that is ranked as high performing in three procedures or conditions by USN Health Ratings. Additional notable facilities include Western Maryland Hospital Center and Newbold Medical Center

Nursing homes provide full-time care and medical supervision to seniors who are very fragile and those who have chronic health conditions. Care is administered by teams of registered nurses and certified nursing assistants. Accordingly, this type of care is often the most expensive care option available. Seniors in Hagerstown pay an average of $9,794 per month for a semiprivate room in nursing home care while the national median is $7,756. Individuals who don’t require this level of care may want to look at alternative care options such as assisted living and home health care.

This guide provides a brief overview of nursing home care in Hagerstown. It discusses the average costs of care and alternative care options. Additionally, it lists free resources for seniors in the city.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Hagerstown, MD

Creekside Village

1183 Luther Drive, Hagerstown, MD, 21740

The Residences at Creekside

19800 Tranquility Circle, Hagerstown, MD, 21742

Julia Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

333 Mill Street, Hagerstown, MD, 21740

I was at Julia Manor for a short while after a full hip replacement. The staff is friendly, efficient and genuinely care. The nurses, assistants, the physical therapy team and the administrative … (read more)

Hagerstown Healthcare Center

750 Dual Highway, Hagerstown, MD, 21740

My mom is in Hagerstown Healthcare Center. It’s not the best place, but that’s where she is right now, and we don’t want to move her. It’s a nursing home and it’s not very clean. They’re also very sho … (read more)

Nms Healthcare of Hagerstown

14014 MARSH PIKE, Hagerstown, MD, 21742

When my dad fell in the bathroom they put him to bed and told me he was OK when they called me. This very talkative man next could not even form a sentence the next day. The charge nurse told me that … (read more)

Coffman Nursing Home

1304 PENNSYLVANIA AVE, Hagerstown, MD, 21742

Western Md Hospital Center

1500 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, Hagerstown, MD, 21742

Homewood at Williamsport

16505 Virginia Avenue, Williamsport, MD, 21795

Homewood at Williamsport is easily accessible via Interstates 81 and 70 in Williamsport, Maryland, and is minutes away from Valley Mall in Hagerstown. Visitors like the fact that the cottages and apar … (read more)

Williamsport Retirement Village

154 N. ARTIZAN STREET, Williamsport, MD, 21795

Situated on a leafy residential street in the heart of Williamsport, Maryland, this facility is close to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, as well as convenient to I-70 and I-81. … (read more)

Quincy Village

6596 Orphanage Rd, Waynesboro, PA, 17268

My great grandmother was a resident of Quincy United Methodist Nursing home after her husband passed away and she was unable to care for herself any longer. My families experience with this care facil … (read more)

Twin Oaks-Williamsport Retirement Village

154 N Artizan St, Williamsport, MD, 21795

My father moved into the long-term section of Twin Oaks-Williamsport Retirement Village. The rooms are a little small, a little tight. The staff has been very nice, but I was a little concerned that i … (read more)

Fahrney Keedy Senior Living Community

8507 MAPLEVILLE ROAD, Boonsboro, MD, 21713

My mother has moved into Fahrney-Keedy Senior Living Community, and one of the things that I like about it is that it is a CCRC, so it gives you accommodations for rehab, and from there, she went dire … (read more)

Heartland of Martinsburg

209 CLOVER STREET, Martinsburg, WV, 25402

I think this was a nice place. It was fun hearing what the older people had to say. At one time this old man was trying to leave through the front doors(he had bad memory problems). He was caught righ … (read more)

Manorcare Health Services – Chambersburg

1070 STOUFFER AVENUE, Chambersburg, PA, 17201

Feel the staff could be a little more caring, and they could use more housekeeping staff but overall it’s a pretty decent facility.

Reeders Memorial Home

141 SOUTH MAIN STREET, Boonsboro, MD, 21713

This is the only place that I didn’t like from all the places we’ve toured. It’s far from where we live. It’s not that I wound not recommend the place, but it’s not the place what we needed for sist … (read more)

Canterbury Center

80 Maddex Drive, Shepherdstown, WV, 25443

We are going to move my brother to this area and are looking for nursing homes. We have called 3 times in the last 2 weeks for an appointment and no one has returned our call. We called for a 4th ti … (read more)

South Mountain Restoration Cen

10058 S Mountain Rd, South Mountain, PA, 17261

Care Haven Center

2720 CHARLES TOWN ROAD, Martinsburg, WV, 25405

Sterling Care South Mountain

141 South Main Street, Boonsboro, MD, 21713

Nursing Home Costs in Hagerstown, MD

In Hagerstown, nursing home semiprivate rooms cost an average of $9,794 per month, and the corresponding cost for a private room is $10,342.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, the average monthly cost of a semiprivate room in a nursing home in Hagerstown is $9,794. This is lower than the Maryland state average of $10,190. However, it’s much higher than the national median of $7,756.

The cheapest city in Maryland for a semiprivate room in nursing home care is California with an average cost of $8,137 per month. At the other end of the cost scale, Baltimore has a monthly average cost of $11,984. The neighboring city of Cumberland has an average cost of $8,213 per month.

$9794

Baltimore

$8213

Cumberland

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care has an average monthly cost of $9,794 for a semiprivate room and $10,342 for a private room. The lowest cost option in Hagerstown is adult care with a monthly average cost of $2,134. Assisted living is a popular option with those requiring help with the tasks of daily living and it has an average monthly cost of $4,500. Both home care and home health care have a monthly average charge of $4,576.

$4500

Home care

$4576

Home health care

$9794

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$10342

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Hagerstown, MD

Free Resources for Seniors in Hagerstown, MD

Seniors in Hagerstown have access to a variety of resources and assistance options provided by government departments and non-profit organizations. These resources may be of interest to seniors who are looking for services to assist them to safely remain in their own homes for as long as possible.

Resource

Contact

Service

The Washington County Commission on Aging is a government department that aims to improve the quality of life of seniors in Hagerstown and surrounding areas. The department provides a number of services, including caregiver support, legal ombudsman services, education and long-term care assistance. It runs a home-delivered meal program for homebound seniors aged 60 and over. In addition, it provides free meals at congregate meal sites throughout the city.

The Maryland Department of Aging offers a number of programs and services to assist seniors throughout the state. Some of the programs provided include the Durable Medical Equipment Reuse Program, the Senior Medicare Patrol, the Senior Call Check Program and the Family Caregiver Support Program.

The Washington County Community Action Council is a non-profit organization that works with low-income families and seniors in the city. Services offered include transportation, a food pantry, emergency rental assistance, energy programs and case management.