11 Assisted Living Facilities near Martinsburg, WV
Also serving communities of Shepherdstown, Charles Town, Berkeley Springs.
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Martinsburg area, with 4 in Martinsburg and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Martinsburg is $4,190 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 32 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Martinsburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Martinsburg 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Williamsport with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Martinsburg, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in Martinsburg, WV
7 Assisted Living Facilities near Martinsburg, WV
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Martinsburg is recognized as the fastest-growing city in West Virginia. The War Memorial Park is a popular hub, featuring a community swimming pool and hosting numerous events throughout the year. In spite of its proximity to Washington, DC, the city maintains its small-town feel and is home to just over 17,000 residents, about 14% of whom are seniors.
In Martinsburg, as in all of the state, assisted living facilities are officially called assisted living residences or residential care communities, depending on the ambulatory abilities of the populations they serve. Both types of facilities are licensed by the Department of Health and Human Resources. Martinsburg has four assisted living facilities, and there are seven more nearby.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Martinsburg
- West Virginia is among the few states that impose state income tax on all types of retirement income, including Social Security benefits. However, seniors can claim a large deduction against that income, which may leave more money in the budget for assisted living in Martinsburg.
- The overall cost of living in Martinsburg is about 3% below the national average but about 13% higher than the statewide average, which may be a consideration for seniors seeking out affordable assisted living.
- Summers in Martinsburg are warm, with July highs around 86 degrees, making it among the warmest cities in the state. Winters are chilly with lows around 21 degrees, and the city receives 21 inches of snow on average, which is about 12 inches less than the statewide average and seven inches less than the national average. This may appeal to seniors who rely on mobility aids.
- Crime is relatively prevalent in Martinsburg, with violent and property-related crimes occurring at a rate higher than in the nation as a whole. Seniors may want to find an assisted living facility that provides security features like alarm systems and surveillance cameras.
- The Martinsburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Berkeley Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Eastern Panhandle Transit Authority operates fixed bus routes throughout the Martinsburg region. Medicare beneficiaries and seniors age 60 and over are eligible for the half-fare program.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in West Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Martinsburg start around $4,190 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Martinsburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Seniors who live in an assisted living facility in Martinsburg may qualify to have some personal care services covered through the Medicaid Personal Care Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Martinsburg
Martinsburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Martinsburg, please visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Martinsburg
Martinsburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in West Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Martinsburg, WV
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Martinsburg
Review of Elmcroft of Martinsburg
Elmcroft of Martinsburg was bright, cheery, and homey. The people were very nice. I know a person who lives there and says that they have lots of activities. The dining room was very nice, bright a... Read more
Review of Harmony at Martinsburg
My mother has lived at Harmony for over one year now and she absolutely loves it! She has made many new friends, loves the energy with the staff and enjoys the variety of activities offered. Knowi... Read more
Review of Elmcroft of Martinsburg
Elmcroft of Martinsburg was a very organized and very nice community. The person who assisted me was great; she was excellent. The dining area was big, it had a lot of room in it, and was very clea... Read more