Elderwood Village at Colonie

Elderwood Village at Colonie (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Elderwood Village at Colonie

Assisted Living Reviews for Elderwood Village at Colonie

July 31, 2015

Brookdale seemed very nice. However, it was a little bit further than I wanted to go because my mom?s grandchildren live away. It would probably be an hour's ride for them to just come and visit, so I needed something closer. The manager was a very nice guy. He showed me all around. He was extremely knowledgeable -- knew his stuff back and forth, up and down. He explained everything and was very engaging. The residents were all very nice. They all said hello, and he said that they are very good when they meet a new person. All in all, it seemed like a nice place to be. It was a little dark when I walked in, and I wanted something a little brighter. The respite rooms were nice. They were furnished; they had a living room, a bedroom. Everything is furnished if you?re doing respite. If you?re doing independent-living, you have to bring in your own furniture.

June 30, 2015

By Golfer Greg

I recently visited my grandmother from out of town. The first thing I noticed when pulling up was residents sitting outside enjoying the weather. The building and maintenance was very clean and well kept! As I entered I was greeted right away and noticed more residents enjoying snacks and socializing...it was really cute! The rooms were an ideal size and the staff seemed pleasant. Mike the sales manager made this possible for my family and was extremely genuine throughout this difficult and personal transition. If you are looking for a place for your loved one, give Mike a call. We trust our family in Brookdales care!

May 31, 2015

Emeritus at Colonie Manor was nice, and the staff seemed very nice. The people seemed to be well taken care of. The rooms were very small, and the facility was a little tired. It was little older, but I thought that the care there was probably excellent. Maybe the overall looked of the place could use a little freshening up. However, the cleanliness was very good. I would recommend that people go look at it and see if it would fit their needs. It was more modest. It was older, but also the cost was more reasonable. If you were looking for a place that was really going to take care of your parent, I thought that that's an excellent place to go. I thought it was a very solid place, and I thought the manager was really great.

February 26, 2015

By Patti54

My husband and I toured Colonie Manor after hearing about it through a friend. We were looking for a place for my Mom and all of the staff were wonderful. Mike the director spent a lot of time with us and explained the whole process. Location was perfect, but my Mother needed full nursing care. Would recommend this community to anyone in need.

February 05, 2015

By Belle6

Rooms are incredibly small. We paid for the "extra" care which was almost never delivered. Food was disappointing. It is obvious to me that some of these reviews are fraudulently written by Colonie Manor Staff! Look elsewhere for a place for your loved one.

January 12, 2015

By Alexandra4

We just had a tour here in Emeritus at Colonie Manor. There was nothing that I can say specifically that I disliked about it. It is very well furnished. This is one of the three facilities that I visited which I can say is the most expensive and the best in terms of physical facilities. The rooms have updated bathrooms, and it's very nicely furnished, very well decorated, and really quite luxurious. My husband and I thought there was something walking in there that made us felt stifled. I can't give you a good obvious reason why I didn't like it. But after the tour, both my husband and I felt the same way. I don't think the care there is very good either. That is my impression.

December 06, 2014

By LovelyLady26

The people at Emeritus all said that they liked it a lot, and they were very happy to be there, but I didn’t like it. I went in a couple of rooms; it was an older facility and not quite as up to date. The staff was very nice. The administrator was really on top of things; they were very sharp and very, very nice. There was a lot good about it. They do take respite which very few do, and they had different levels of care there.

October 15, 2014

Emeritus is a little dated. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10, I would probably give it a 6 for cleanliness. Compared to other facilities, I would not put it on the top, there is only the minimal amount of staff that care for the amount of people that lived there. As an example recently I was asking about housekeeping and one of the housekeepers was an irregular and told me they just hired a person. I tried the food one time and I would say it’s mediocre. Dad doesn’t complain about it, but he has some dementia. The other people that live there encourage him to participate in activities, and one of the big senior citizens' best options there is playing Wii bowling. But, they probably need to update some of the basic things that they have in the rooms like the closet. The doors are half-working, the bathrooms are a bit dated, the cabinets that they have could be changed, and thet could have more staff.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and hope you will call us at 877-400-5296 or email us at familyconnection@brookdale.com to discuss them in greater detail.

October 02, 2014

I had a quick visit at Emeritus at Colonie Manor. The apartments were not really spacious, but they were nice. Their dining room is pretty. When I was there, they were having karaoke.

September 24, 2014

My mother is in Emeritus. The staff was friendly and nice. They helped setup my mother in her room The new management is friendly, but the housekeeping is not what I expected. The cleaning is not done to our satisfaction. My mother is happy with the food. They really don’t have a fully adequate library or media rooms, but mom watches TV and goes down to different games.

June 26, 2014

Emeritus is all in one building and on one floor. I can bring my pets. It looks like everybody there is happy. They brought me a couple of meals to my house.

May 10, 2014

By Mary Ann10

Emeritus at Colonie Manor seemed like a pleasant place. It looked like a nice, clean, and caring place. The staff seemed to be good. There were a lot of good activities for the seniors. The dining room looked nice, and the meals looked good. However, the rooms were kind of small. The place was large; maybe it was too large for a senior. There were too many people, but I wouldn't discount it. Everyone looked content.

December 26, 2013

We have my mom at Emeritus at Colonie Manor. It was one of Caring.com's recommendations. The place is small, which is a good thing especially if there are ambulatory issues. The staff is great. They're very friendly and very helpful. Mom hasn't been there long enough to make any kind of judgment; however, I didn't have any real difficulties with them.

September 12, 2012

By STEVE8

It is one of the best facilities i ever visited.I got a chance to meet the residents of the facility and they all looked quite relieved and happy.Evereything in this facility is just great and in a very organised manner.Residents are enjoying their lives there.Staff and management are thorough professionals and take care of the every requirement of the residents. Food quality is fine and menu is balanced and nutritious.Daily health checkups are conducted.They also have activities which everyone participate and they even have facilities like internet, library, laundry and other misc.Overall, I would rate this facility very high and recommend it for all old but loved ones.

February 28, 2012

By white ben

This nursing facility has been personally visited by me couple of months ago along with my grand mother. I also happened to meet the residents and get their opinion. I found this facility a real home with neat and tidy atmosphere. Residents are enjoying all perks and privileges with supreme respect and dignity. Staff and management are thorough professionals who are giving their 100 % to make the facility a success. Activities have been planned to let everyone participate with his heart out and enjoy the daily routine. Food quality is fine and menu is balanced and nutritious. Health facility is available in the form of near hospitals. Nursing staff inside the complex is available round the clock to take care of old and patients. Internet, library, laundry and other misc facilities are readily available to meet the requirements of people. Overall, I would rate this facility very high and recommend it for all old but loved ones.

Questions about Elderwood Village at Colonie

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Elderwood Village at Colonie. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have a very active population here at Elderwood Village at Colonie, with our average age being 82 years old. Some of their favorite activities include; bingo, Wii bowling, and going out to eat!

What programs or activities does Elderwood Village at Colonie offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have exercise every morning to start the day off right. We also take time everyday to have resident program chats; where everyone is encouraged to discuss current events, their likes and dislikes, as well as taking some time to reminisce about their pasts. We also offer a non denominational service every Sunday, and communion during the week.

What places are near Elderwood Village at Colonie or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are right down the road from Bella Napoli and Dee Dees restaurant. We are also near Colonie Center, and The Crossings.

What transportation services does Elderwood Village at Colonie offer to assisted living residents?

We offer transportation to doctors appointments two days per week, as well as transportation to various outings.

What makes the chef or dining program at Elderwood Village at Colonie exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We have multiple chefs, that each add something special to our dining program. Our menu is made with the help of our residents. We have menu chat every month, where our head chef sits with the residents to discuss what they like/dislike, and what they would like to see added onto the menu in the coming month.

What safety features or security measures does Elderwood Village at Colonie offer to assisted living residents?

We have three pull cords in every resident room; by the bed, by the shower, by the toilet. We also have all of our residents wear pendants at all times. Lastly, all of our doors are alarmed.

How does Elderwood Village at Colonie keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We are in constant communication with our residents families. We give updates on physician appointments if they are unable to attend, and if we notice any changes with their loved one. We also love to tell families about their loved one having fun at any of our activities.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Elderwood Village at Colonie during daytime and nighttime hours?

For our day and evening shifts we have three resident aids on, for the night shift we have two. We also have an RN and LPN on during the day, and on call at night. These numbers change as our census changes.

If Elderwood Village at Colonie accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We do accept dogs and cats. We have two courtyards, as well as a beautifully landscaped property for them to enjoy.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

All of our staff meets the state and federal requirements for senior training. All of our new hires have a two week hands on training, supervised by our RN.

What safety features or security measures does Elderwood Village at Colonie provide to protect residents who wander?

Currently, we do not have a memory care unit, but all of our doors are alarmed. Our doors do lock at 8 o'clock every night.

Costs for Elderwood Village at Colonie

Photos of Elderwood Village at Colonie

Services and Amenities of Elderwood Village at Colonie

• Licenses: ALR

• About Elderwood Village at Colonie

Elderwood Village at Colonie is a Latham, NY Assistive Living community that provides the right blend of supportive assistance, great amenities, and a personalized experience tailored to your needs.

We are just minutes away from Albany, Schenectady, Troy and Saratoga County and all the area has to offer! Our ideal location makes trips to shopping, dining, parks and cultural events very convenient and allows for tremendous opportunity.

Residents at our community get to enjoy a customized experience — tailored to their likes and interests. We like to provide options to our seniors, from the types of apartments available to our care plans. You'll be able to make decisions that allow you to create an Assisted Living lifestyle personalized to you.

For residents that need a little more assistance, our staff is trained to help seniors with the daily tasks they need, including cooking, cleaning, dressing, grooming and medication management. But our goal is to allow you as much independence as possible to live a safe and healthy lifestyle.

Our community is characterized by our home-like feeling and warm, friendly staff. Each of studio apartments allows for privacy, while our large common areas are inviting and plentiful. Our residents know that they are safe, secure and treated with respect.

No stairs or elevators here! Our community is a single story building situated on over 7 acres that feature wildlife such as turkeys, deer, rabbits, and multiple bird species. We have 94 private studio senior apartments, each with a private bath, individualized climate control and large windows.

Our staff is focused on providing the highest quality activities and social programs for our residents. To that end, we spend time with each resident individually to learn about interests, hobbies and new learning opportunities. Elderwood Village at Colonie features a wide variety of programs designed to keep our residents healthy and engaged.

From Wii tournaments to karaoke contests, there is something for everyone! Birthday celebrations, social hours and live entertainment are featured monthly, in addition to a variety of stimulating daily activities.

When it's time for a meal, you'll be treated to the same experience you'd find at a fine dining restaurant. Three homemade meals are served restaurant-style each day. Each meal is prepared using menus developed by skilled dietitians. Special treats are also scheduled, such as pizza parties, make-your-own-sundaes, cookouts and more!

LIFE AT ELDERWOOD

• Comfortable private rooms with bath, walk-in showers, individualized climate control and call system
    • Weekly housekeeping, laundry and scheduled transportation services
    • Round-the-clock supervision
    • Medication management and assistance with dressing, bathing and grooming
    • Attractive, safe and secure single-level building
    • Pleasant dining experience at every meal
    • Wellness programs, daily activities and regular outings
    • Washers and dryers available for personal use
    • Enclosed courtyard with walking paths and gardening areas with raised beds
    • Arts and crafts studio
    • Cafe / Bistro
    • Library, game room, billiards table and theater
    • Chapel
    • Full-service hair salon
    • Pet friendly
    • Part of the Elderwood community of service

Thank you for your interest at Elderwood Village at Colonie. Please give us a call to schedule a free tour.

Conveniently located in the town of Colonie, New York. We are minutes away from Albany, Schenectady, Troy and Saratoga County and all the area has to offer! Our ideal location makes trips to shopping, dining, parks and cultural events very convenient and allows for tremendous opportunity. We are a hop skip and a jump away from Albany, Schenectady, Troy and Southern Saratoga County!

Map of Elderwood Village at Colonie