Plaza West Regional Heath Center

Reviews of Plaza West Regional Heath Center

Nursing Home Reviews for Plaza West Regional Heath Center

October 31, 2011

By rosie123

We moved my mother-in-law there from a nursing facility in Oklahoma City a few years ago. She was deeply into senile dementia and had been in care for several years before the death of my father-in-law and final illness of her son in OKC. My husband took over her care and Plaza West was a new nursing home at that time. I was very impressed with it when we visited before moving her here and that was my feeling for a couple of years but then the new wore off and it was not so great. At first they had a small car in the physical therapy part of the building so that residents could regain their ability to get in and out of a car. When it disappeared I asked an employee what happened to it and was told that it was moved to the next facility the company was opeing in another city and it was just a tool to fill a new place. I would often find Mae soiled and her hands dirty with feces because she would try to pull her pad off. When I complained about it their answer was not to keep her clean but to paint her fingernails dark red so the feces under her nails didn't show. When I told them that was unacceptable, an aid came in to take the polish off and clean under her nails. She was rough and causing Mae pain because she was angry at me for complaining and getting her in troble. Of course I reported her again. Mom was always very thin skinned, dry and itchy and had always used lotion so I bought her a huge bottle of Lubriderm. When it was gone from her room it was located in the bathing room where I was told they were using it on others too. That was nice but if others needed it Plaza should have been supplying it. After her new clothing disappeared over and over I stopped putting her name on a tag on the back and had to put it on the front shoulder where no one else would want to take it home and use it so that was solved. At that time I was a Realtor so was often out and about later in the evening and would drop in to check on her on my way home. I found her up in her wheel chair slumped over asleep at midnight a few times and complained and was told they just had not gotten to her as they put the patients to bed but she was the only one so I again complained and checked on her more often and did not have that problem again. I once noticed that they were billing Medicare for physical therapy for Mae and I questioned them as to what therapy she was getting since I never saw any indication of it. I was told that they worked her joints to keep her from curling up in a fetal position. When she came there, she was fine but later she had to have her leg removed because it was totally stiff and had lost blood flow. When I asked them how it got stiff when they were doing PT on her they said it was not to keep her loose and that it really consisted of rolling a ball back and forth across the table with her. When I asked to see what they were talking about they tried to show me but when the ball was rolled to her she didn't even notice it. I was there one evening when the staff Dr came on the unit and began to question her and other patients about their mood. He asked them if they were depressed for an instance. He really got nothing relevant from any of them and then I was told that he was their psychiatrist which of course was another medicare billing. I asked that Mae not be included since she didn't even know her own name or her own children. We might have needed his services but they were sure no help for her. There were times when nothing much went on but there was plenty of room for concern. Once when we were there fo feed her dinner another man was badly bruised on one side of his head and when one of the male aids came around him he put his hands up to protect himself and began to scram and cry. It was obvious that he was terrified of the employee. My husband went to management immediately to report what we were witnessing and we didn't see that employee again. In a discussion with one of my sisters who worked in a state instituton for the mentally retarded. she kniew that man and he had been fired there for beating up a patient. I made a complaint to the State of Ks about it and they had to review their hiring practices. I really never know what came of it for sure but I'm sure they had to do better back ground checks. Before I went to work as a Realtor I had been a charter member of Kansans for the Improvment of Nursing Homes and a registered lobbiest to the KS House and Senate. Plaza West never knew that about me and I had a reason to report them a couple of other times. I'm sure they never would have dreamed such a thinkg. In more recent years my son who is a nurse was an Auditor for the state of Kansas. He never was able to tell me any details about Plaza West but he never gave an impression it was any different than it had been when Mae was alive. Sadly, though, he said it was not the worst around. If I had been the child instead of the daughter-in-law, she would not have stayed there but I was not the one makeing dicisions so I did what I could to make it easy for her to live out her final days. I think the fact that my job allowed me free time to check in at odd times did help and if you have that option you might be happy with your loved one there. I was not unhappy all the time and there were some wonderful caretakers in a job not many would envy. Just know going in that most of the pretty is on the top to impress the family as it did us. You will have to be able to monitor your loved one's care.

Services and Amenities of Plaza West Regional Heath Center

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

About Plaza West Regional Heath Center

Plaza West Regional Heath Center is a senior living provider in Topeka, Kansas that offers residents Nursing Homes. Contact Plaza West Regional Heath Center for more details on services and rates.

Map of Plaza West Regional Heath Center