Brookdale New Port Richey

Reviews of Brookdale New Port Richey

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale New Port Richey

September 23, 2020

By Ann Marie

My brother is at Brookdale New Port Richey. When you first went in, you had to be quarantined for two weeks and he's been through that. He certainly likes it, and they seem to like him. I have spoken to some of the workers and the nurses, and they say, "He's very nice, he's working on his rehab." His feet have neuropathy, so they're working on rehab to get him to walk better. He's doing well. He likes to eat, and he says the food is fantastic. I'm so happy because I was so worried about it. The staff is wonderful, very sweet and caring. I just go by with what the nurses and people I talk to there say and what he says. He seems happy. I have not had anything negative that happened yet.

March 16, 2020

By WW

Our experience with Brookdale New Port Richey has not been good. They're very slow in getting people in to help. My wife has to wait sometimes an hour or an hour and 15 minutes for someone to come and give her a hand to go to the bathroom. Their accommodations are good, although when we first looked at the place in the middle of January they had just redone the whole apartment and there were no upper kitchen cupboards. It's March now and we still do not have any upper kitchen cupboards, although they said it would only be a week or two to get them in. The facility is well maintained, and the meals are fair. Their dining area is very nice, clean, well kept, and well maintained. I would personally not recommend it. There are other places for the same price that are nicer. They're greatly understaffed.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns and hope you will call us or email us to discuss them in greater detail.

February 11, 2020

By Sylvia

We chose Brookdale New Port Richey for my husband because they had given me a very good price, and I wanted more of assisted living than a skilled nursing. The facility is very nice, and the room is lovely. The staff is very helpful and very friendly. If there's anything I need to ask them, they call me right back. He's very happy. He's in assisted living, but they also have the memory care unit. They administer his medications. They have one large dining area and one that's a little bit more intimate. Their food is good, and the portions are good especially for him. They have buses to the grocery stores, Wal-Mart, pharmacies, and restaurants. It's like living in a hotel.

June 19, 2019

By Reviewer053019

I went to Brookdale New Port Richey. It has good resident treatment. The person who showed me around was treating the residents nicely. The place and rooms are nice, too. It has a memory care unit. However, there is a one-time move-in payment. The place was clean and definitely well run.

January 18, 2019

By Joanna

Brookdale was very nice as soon as I walked through the door. Where the apartments are and the way it was set up reminded me Polynesia. It was very comforting. The staff was very nice, but the room was very tiny, and there’s no way I’ll be able to put my furniture there. They have crafts on certain days and I like that.

July 17, 2017

By Ana

Brookdale New Port Richey was a big place, and they had different levels of care. The marketing person took the time to give us the tour. She showed us the apartments, the 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, the outside, and the patio. The residents were playing bingo that day. The place was well taken care of. We met the nursing staff, and I saw that they can provide good care. We met some of the residents, so we had a good impression of the care that they provide. The staff was very caring, receptive, kind, and patient.

January 14, 2017

By Anthony860475

My mother was living at Brookdale New Port Richey. The place itself was quite nice. It was very warm and inviting. There were a lot of nice people there. She loved the food. The problem is because she has dementia, she would get up in the middle of the night and go to the toilet, and every time she’d do that, she’d fall, and she fell three times there. The third time, she was really injured badly. The last fall fractured her elbow and the rest of her arms, and now her arm is in a permanent sling. There were some things lacking there, but overall, the place was fairly pleasant. They had a cockroach problem there as well. It puts me off that they have a type of vermin. Other than that, the rooms were painted nicely. The landscaping was inviting. They had activities and things for the elderly to do.

January 10, 2017

By Sandra422542

I was not impressed with their facilities for the Alzheimer's unit of Brookdale. It was way, way back, so you had to walk a long way. because of the architectural layout of the facility. They had a very spacious area for outside flower beds and all, but there's nothing attractive about it. I would not put my husband there. They had a very nice sales manager, but I felt bad that that's what she had to work with. It seemed people were lounging, laying out, and sleeping in their socks, no shoes, and looked like they were just being housed. The dining area was in a large space but not set up nicely.

November 11, 2016

By Kate201668

Visited for a relative. Staff was friendly and people were interacting all over which I didn't see other ALFs I visited. Rooms were spacious and I liked the idea of the apartment like setting, made it feel more independent for her.

September 11, 2016

By Nomar

I saw the assisted living of Brookdale; it was mid-century, with a high ceiling, and lots of sunlight. The studio apartments were nice, and the room had a nice yellow tone, which was a lot warmer and inviting. They had a nice dining area. They had a garden in the back that the residents worked on.

May 10, 2016

By TinaKYBAB

We did go to Brookdale New Port Richey. It seemed like the staff was good. But I’m not sure if my mother would have been as happy there. The look of the main hall, not actual apartments, was dated and dreary. The rooms seemed OK. The price was a little above what my mother could afford, but it did have that dreary feel about it except for the staff. They said they have bingo. They have a rec room that we went into that had puzzles and all the stuff and they had coloring and things like that.

January 28, 2016

By Michael119623050

We put my mother in Brookdale New Port Richey. It is very good. It is excellent. The room she is in is very spacious. She has a sitting area and a sleeping area separated by a wall. There is also a walk-in shower and a walk-in closet. We are very pleased with what we have selected for her. The staff is very approachable. My mother likes the ladies who come to her room to help her. She is quite pleased with the staff. They’re very attentive. Also, she said that the food is good.

January 27, 2016

By Diane M.1

My mother is in Brookdale New Port Richey. That is the best place for her. She loves her room and she loves the people even though it is a huge place with lots of people. She can go to the big cafeteria or she can stay in her room. They are great and they accommodate and take care of her. They love her. The only concern is that because it is so big, but there are a lot of caretakers and they have beepers. My mom likes it there. So, we decided to keep her there. They have lots of stuff there, but she cannot participate. So, she stays in her room all day and lies in bed. Brookdale people do not feed, so my brother has to hire people to come in and feed her. They accept her and love her, and the fact that people come in and feed her, they are okay with that.

December 20, 2015

My mother has been at Brookdale New Port Richey for three weeks now and is very comfortable. It is a little rundown, but it is getting better. We chose it because we were comfortable there. They have two long gardens that are just so relaxing when you’re outside. It still needs a lot of work, but it has the youngest people there, who are interacting all of the time, which I didn’t find at the other seven places I visited. My mother likes the people there and has found groups of people to eat with. The neighbor across the hall from her is very sweet and helping her a lot. My mother’s eating habits were terrible, and now she is eating three meals a day. They have a menu that she can choose from, but if she has a thing she likes that is not on the menu, they will cook it for her.

September 25, 2015

By Diane113125950

Brookdale New Port Richey (Formerly Emeritus at La Casa Grande) was more like a nursing home. There weren't reasonable rooms. They were smaller and they didn't have kitchens. You couldn't cook your own meals. You had to go out to the dining room and they've always had the meals for you. The staff was friendly and they would try to talk to you. They were making sure you got plenty of what you needed. They will be happy to help you with whatever you needed and take you anywhere. They just should try to make the rooms a little bit wider and bigger. For people that have wheelchairs or walkers, it's hard for them to manage to get around if you have a lot of furniture in your room.

September 14, 2015

Brookdale New Port Richey (Formerly Emeritus at La Casa Grande) was like a motel. If you went out of the apartment, you're outside, and I didn't like it at all. I just didn't have a good feeling. The staff was friendly, and the dining area seemed adequate, but I don't think the rooms were spacious.

August 21, 2015

By James112319850

I did not care for Brookdale New Port Richey. It was very dirty. They also had an emergency medical situation where a person was laying on the floor for more than half an hour with an injury, and they could not get a nurse to respond. The person who gave me the tour was a nurse, and she did not help. She did not want to break up my tour. I was very turned off by it. I would not recommend the memory care unit. The rest of the facility was nice.

August 21, 2015

By Caring111925250

Brookdale New Port Richey seemed very nice. At the time of my visit, they were doing their recreational activities.

July 02, 2015

By tomjerry1

Since Brookdale took over Emeritus at La Casa Grande, the only positive changes I've seen are renovations. My mother's rent has been increased twice within a year. Additional charges are added with absolutely no explanation. The communication between the Wellness center and family is just about non-existent. They tell you they will do something and they don't or won't follow. through. Brookdale seems to be only interested in $$$$. Very disappointed.

June 20, 2015

By Caring109219850

Brookdale New Port Richey (Formerly Emeritus at La Casa Grande) was a very nice community, clean, very friendly, and there were a lot of social activities. It was well located. I was impressed by it. The drawbacks were that the apartments were extremely small and that you have to travel outside to get from the apartment to the main social and dining area. My concern would be when it's cold or rainy that my grandmother constantly would have to be going from indoors to outdoors to get to the social center.

April 17, 2015

By Theresa29

We choose Brookdale because I think it has a variety of options for living and a variety of price ranges. It has nice, flexible schedules for meals and a variety of food. They have different levels, and there are people who are kind of independent; that is what I am looking for. The staff is fabulous and very helpful. The admission person works with us. It is a very difficult move because he is hesitant. They have a lot of activities going on. They have ice cream social on Thursdays. They have trips to communities and different areas. I see people in the activities room doing craft things.

March 19, 2015

I was able to visit Brookdale New Port Richey (Emeritus at La Casa Grande). The rooms are very spacious and very clean. It's also well-staffed. It's very spacious, and there are a lot of outdoor places where people can walk; that is very inviting. They just have about every activity. They have movies and cards. The only thing that I found a little bit annoying was I did mention to them that my brother was HIV positive, and that was the end of that particular conversation.

February 21, 2015

By Robert102395950

We moved her there in Brookdale New Port Richey. The place is nice, and the people who work there are fantastic. They do have few issues with their food stuff, but it may just be getting used to different nutrition. They do serve some strange food. I have not tasted their food, but mom said their food is bad. Sometimes it is cold, and there are other problems. They do serve some kind of spinach and sausage soup that even their employees question. They have lots of activities, and mom stays busy all the time.

December 01, 2014

By grateful to be out

I am a 63 year old, single physically disabled female. My diseases are degenerative and since I was finding it becoming increasingly difficult to safely take care of my daily living needs, I made the decision to look into assisted living. I chose La Casa Grande. This facility gives you a great sales pitch, but I quickly learned that they do not keep promises. But far worse than that is the lack of proper care. In my case my medications were mishandled and one particular medication was stolen. When I filed complaints which fell on deaf ears and said I would notify the police, the "head nurse" tried to label me with mental issues due to a urinary tract infection. My family doctor immediately came to my aid as I had just seen her that week for a routine check up which included a urine test. It was negative. She requested my medications log and didn't get it. The straw that broke the camel`s back was inappropriate sexual advances, both verbally and physically by the married executive director. I filed a report with Florida Department of Children and Family. There is an investigation but I was told.not to get my hopes up because it is my word against his. I have moved out. I am lucky that I am of sound mind and could stick up for myself. I write this to implore families to listen to their loved ones and investigate anything suspicious. If my story helps even just one other resident, it will have been worth the pain, stress and inconvenience.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please be assured this was thoroughly investigated and unfounded.

November 29, 2014

By Cathy98012050

The visit at Emeritus was good, but the room was tiny so I am glad it didn’t work out there. The staff was nice.

November 24, 2014

My mom is in Emeritus at La Casa Grande, and that's about 10 to 15 minutes from where I am living. It is very convenient. I can be there quickly. I visit her 3 times a week, and she seems to be acclimating very well to the situation. So far it is working very well. The place is like a hotel almost, but it is rather large. They have 240 beds, and they have different levels of care. My mom is in the memory care section. They have a recreation area where they can go outside, but they are not allowed to leave that area unsupervised. When I ring the bell, they let me in only because the employees there recognize me. So, they let me in. I sign my mom out, and we go out for dinner or I'll take her out for shopping and then I'll bring her back to the house. I usually get her between her meals and I get her back in time for her to have dinner. My mom has the basic level of care for someone who is at the memory care. There are different levels as her condition progresses. Basically, she dresses herself, and she has to be supervised for her medication. It is very clean, and they provide meals and stuff like that, but for the amount of people that where she is, in her section, they may have 20 or 25 people, they can use 1 or 2 more employees down there at a certain area and time of the day.

October 22, 2014

By Judy92632450

The outside of La Casa Grande was very nice looking. I actually visited there three times. The problem I was having -- and I told them -- that I don't think they were completely upfront. They were good in giving me all those specials to move in, but then they couldn't tell me at all how much it was going to go. I think they were in such a hurry to get me in there that I wasn't being upfront with. I came home more upset every time that I went there.

August 30, 2014

I visited Emeritus and I wasn’t impressed at all, as it wasn’t very clean. The rooms are small with just a bedroom and a bathroom. There’s a living area that they call attached, but you have to share it with other people. They were doing some renovating. The young woman who showed me around did mention a few activities like Bingo, card games, and crafting. They have an area for people with dementia or Alzheimer’s and also an area for assisted living, but I did not see any of that.

August 25, 2014

Emeritus at La Casa Grande was pretty good. The rooms were all right, but I don't think my grandma would have liked them because likes her own space and she would have felt that the people there were too close. I liked the open space and that there were lots of different areas like gardens, which my grandma would have liked, too.

March 11, 2014

By Jack & Sharral

It appeared that the patrons living their were happy and well cared for! I was pleased with the range of services provided to include meals. They were in the process of renovating, but the facilities did not appear to be that worn. As I was mainly interested in Independent living, however, I found the facilities and living space to be inadequate. We were shown a small studio apartment and a one bedroom apt. The one bedroom apt would be preferred, but the kitchenette and refrigerator were too small for my wife and I.

November 27, 2013

Emeritus was just around the corner from me. I went through the whole place and it was very nice. I had sat down and had a long talk to the people and the rooms were in good size.

November 23, 2013

By Harry16

I've already moved in Emeritus at La Casa Grande. I'm quite pleased with this facility. One nice thing about it is that I haven't heard complaints from other people here. They all seem to feel that the management is doing a nice job. I would recommend this facility to others. I chose this one because, once I get all the information, I can end up getting a government grant to help me pay. None of the other facilities seem to know anything about it. I'm on Social Security and I can't afford to live here but I qualified for Veterans Administration so that I can pay for it. That's number 1 reason. My number 2 reason, it is just about three blocks from my church and that is a major factor. The staff is doing pretty good, although they do have a little trouble with enough staffing in the afternoon. Sometimes they're down to two people and it takes some little while to get served, but aside from needing more servers, they're very good. They even have a person that writes down whatever it is that you have trouble with. Regarding meals, they do have a lot of variety of them. There's always two items on the menu. If you don't like either one, you can always order a grilled cheese sandwich, a ham and cheese, or a BLT. You can order whatever you like. I even have pancakes for supper. They're very good about that. In terms of transportation, they do have buses going to doctors and laboratories. They're also pretty good about scheduling. I'm reasonably well satisfied. I'm very fortunate with my room. I'm in a room in their independent living. It has a living room that I furnished and I was able to share my videos and books with anybody else. I also have a chair, a table, a couch, two bookcases, a TV and a disc player. It's like I have my own private living room and it's nice. The bedroom itself is not that really small but it's large enough for my dresser, computer and the bed. I'm reasonably happy with my room.

November 11, 2013

By Karen73584850

Emeritus was nice and we liked it but it was very large and we thought it would be overwhelming for mom in law. The staff seemed very nice and friendly. They have different sizes in rooms. We haven?t tried eating there but the dining area was big, it looks very clean and it had tablecloths. I liked the outside courtyard areas; they had a large area for people to go and sit. They were ready for a big overhaul and we knew she would be overwhelmed by change. In addition, I just felt that it smelled moldy when we first walked into the place.

October 09, 2013

By Marjorie9

The employees seemed very nice at Casa Grande and it was clean. They have independent living; assisted living and they have a nursing home so that's three places where you can go. It's probably one of the least expensive which is what I was looking for. They have all kinds of activities there, they go out in the bus, and they take you shopping if you're in assisted living. They can also take you places if you are in independent living. We had a meal there and it was very nice. The lighting needs to be improved though; it seemed dark when you went in.

September 29, 2013

By John67104250

They did a good job taking me around Emeritus at La Casa Grande and answering my questions. The studio is small but I suppose for the needs of one parent, it would be okay. The facility didn't seem very lively to me. I wouldn't say that there was a lot of high energy staff present. It looked like a lot of people were looking lost in there.

April 26, 2013

By caring1354

Mom is at Emeritus. The community is nice. The food is good and the rooms are nice. They have music, bingo, and even church services. The staff is helpful and they answer my questions when I have them. But they could add more staff.

October 15, 2012

By Lynda 2

I am very pleased with Emeritus and so is my mother. Her room is very nice, and the meals are great. She likes the staff, everybody seems nice, and there are no complaints.

June 22, 2012

By JMARTIN1

The building is comfortable and provides an atmosphere that is more than welcoming for short term patients to be in. Living quarters seem up to standards and what I really liked was how they allow their residents to have their pets with them. Another good aspect of this place is that they don't merely watch over your loved ones, they involve them in some really entertaining activities.The staff seem to thoroughly enjoy their jobs and definitely make you feel as though your family member is safe inside of their community. Not once was there a question left unanswered or a problem unresolved. Unlike some other facilities this one allows for you to visit with your family member privately and without them constantly dictating what you can and cannot bring them. My Aunt happens to like ice cream snacks ever since her dementia set in and i was allowed to bring in extras every other day. Her favorite pet also enjoyed visiting her which was an awesome plus. I'd definitely recommend Emeritus to anyone looking for a warm and welcoming alternative living situation for their family member or close friend.

April 18, 2012

By Dot's kids

Mom moved into La Casa earlier this year. After a short adjustment, she loves it! The staff are caring and friendly, and the LaCasa leadership group is making continual progress with upgrading the services and facility. We're very happy we moved Mom here!

October 11, 2010

By TampaRays

Life of the Party

My dad was very reluctant to go to an assisted living. He didn't want to give up his house and his way of life. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make, sending him to live at Emeritus at La Casa Grande. After just a few weeks, my dad has made friends, he has attended parties, and has even gone out to eat with friends (this is a first since my mom died 15 years ago). My dad is now the life of the party. Now the hardest decision I ever made is the BEST decision I've ever made. Thank you.

September 30, 2010

By PhotoGuy

Home Sweet Home!

My parents were both in ill health and needed a place to live where they had access to nurses and therapy. My mom was worried about not being able to cook in her own kitchen. However, my parents have discovered they have the best of both worlds. They have their own apartment and they are not bothered or intruded on unless they ask for help. They also have 3 big meals a day, snacks, parties every week. They play bingo every week and are still able to go to church and still use their old doctor. The staff has always been incredibly nice and made the transition seamless. Thank you La Casa!

September 30, 2010

By GatorFan

My dad is alive again!

My dad lived a very lonely solitare existance before going into Emeritus at La Casa Grande Assisted Living. My dad's life consisted of waking up, eating frozen meals, watching TV, and going to bed again. He only got out of the house to go to the doctor every three months. I was his only visitor and I only get to come to New Port Richey every 2 weeks. I was worried when my father's doctor told him it was time to check out an Assisted Living. My dad's nutrition and hygeiene were affecting his health. I knew that my father would not adjust to change or being around that many people. We checked out several Assisted Living facilities, but went to Emeritus at La Casa Grande at my father's doctor's recommendation. The grounds were beautiful, the rooms were bigger than others we had seen and the staff was helpful and informative. Within 3 weeks of living at Emeritus at La Casa Grande my dad is a different person...he is alive again. My dad comes to the dining room for every meal and visits with his table mates before and after meals. My dad goes out to eat with a group of friends from La Casa. My dad has even joined a walking club and walks with other people every night. His whole personality has changed and we have Emeritus at La Casa Grande to thank.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale New Port Richey

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

• State Licenses: AL6024

About Brookdale New Port Richey

Our peaceful setting, restaurant style dining experience, activities and beautiful setting combine to create a wonderful living environment everyday. Our genuine caring staff, home style meals, daily activities add to our residents' experience. .

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #6024