24 Assisted Living Facilities near Salem, VA
There are 24 Assisted Living Facilities in the Salem area, with 3 in Salem and 21 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Salem is $2,195 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 104 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Salem. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Salem 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Daleville with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Salem, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Salem, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Salem
Salem is a midsize town in Virginia with a lot of hometown pride in it's athletic teams. According to U.S. Census data, Salem has an adult population of 20,358, and 22 percent of those individuals are seniors. From farmers markets to a free city museum, seniors can find plenty to do in Salem, and 13 assisted living facilities in the town provide options for vibrant residential life for seniors who want scheduled social activities or assistance with daily living. Assisted living communities in Salem follow the regulations of the Virginia Department of Social Services, as do all ALFs in the state, to ensure safe, quality senior care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Salem
- Salem's cost of living index is lower than both the state and national averages, with especially low costs of groceries, transportation and utilities bringing the number down. Seniors on limited retirement incomes may find that they are able to stretch that money to cover more necessities and extra goods and services.
- The climate in Salem is the same as in nearby Roanoke, where the average annual temperature is just under 60 degrees F. Mountain weather keeps the spring and autumn months cool, and even summer months tend to be mild, so seniors can enjoy outdoor activities, including walking at Longwood Park or visiting the downtown duck pond.
- Salem has a robust arts and culture scene. Seniors can visit the Salem Museum, which offers free admission, browse numerous art galleries and antique stores in the quaint downtown or go underground at Dixie Caverns. Sports fans can catch home games for the minor league Salem Red Sox, and seniors can save money on Silver Sluggers ticket packages.
- The Salem area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Salem VA Medical Center and LewisGale Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Salem has a low crime rate, which has even decreased in recent years. Seniors are safer in Salem than in around 60 percent of other U.S. cities, so they can feel comfortable exploring most areas in the town.
- Valley Metro, the public bus service in Roanoke County, also provides service in Salem. Bus stops are limited in the town itself, so seniors will have to get to the local Goodwill to catch a bus to the VA Hospital or Roanoke. Seniors do receive a discount on fares, paying only 85 cents, which is close to 50 percent off.
Paying for Assisted Living in Salem
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Salem start around $2,195 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Salem and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Salem
Medicaid Home and Community-Based waivers are available to eligible seniors in Virginia to help them live independently in their own home or community when might be at risk of entering a nursing home in the future. The Medicaid Program for All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) may also provide assistance to individuals over age 55 who meet the requirements.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Salem
Salem and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Salem, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Salem
Salem-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Salem
Review of Brookdale Salem
I like the pricing of Brookdale Salem. The representative was very friendly and very informative. It is actually my preferred home for my father-in-law but his health has declined so the cost was p... Read more
Review of Brookdale Salem
My in-laws are in Brookdale Salem. The care is adequate, the food is marginal, and the administration is terrible. I would not recommend it. Basically everything administrative has been done in err... Read more
Review of Brookdale Salem
I could not have chosen a better place to call home. The staff are loving and have made this transition So much better. The food is wonderful with a large variety. The housekeeping and cleanliness ... Read more