6 Assisted Living Facilities near Christiansburg, VA
Also serving communities of Fairlawn, Dublin.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Christiansburg area, with 2 in Christiansburg and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Christiansburg is $4,322 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Salem with an average starting cost of $1,950.
To help you with your search, browse the 34 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Christiansburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Christiansburg 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Salem with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Christiansburg, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Christiansburg, VA
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Christiansburg, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Christiansburg
Based on a former coal mining operation, Coal Miner's Heritage Park, located near Christiansburg, Virginia, offers seniors a place to drive or stroll on day trips with family members. Christiansburg is home to nearly 22,000 people, 15% of whom are at least 65 years old, and some of these seniors may wish to tour one of the town's two assisted living facilities or six more options in neighboring towns. These facilities offer help with the tasks of daily living, such as grooming and meals, and are regulated by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Christiansburg
- The Christiansburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Carilion New River Valley Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Social Security retirement benefits are not taxed in Virginia. Other types of retirement income, such as pension income and retirement account withdrawals, are deductible up to $12,000 for seniors.
- Although Christiansburg's violent crime rate is 9.8, less than half the national average of 22.7, its property crime rate of 36 is slightly higher than the U.S. median. Seniors may wish to ask the staff at assisted living facilities whether camera, self-locking doors and other security precautions are in place to protect residents and their belongings.
- At 93, Christiansburg has a cost of living that's 20% lower than Virginia's average and 7% lower than the U.S. baseline of 100. Seniors may pay less for housing, transportation and groceries than in similar cities across the country.
- The annual temperature range in Christiansburg is 22-83 degrees. With such a large range of possible temperatures, seniors may wish to ask the staff at assisted living facilities whether they can control the temperatures in their rooms. On average, there are 216 sunny days here, 11 more sunny days than the national average.
- Air quality in Christiansburg is 72, which is 14 points higher than the national average of 58. The water quality is 95, one of the highest in the country, compared to a U.S. median score of 55. This may be welcome news for seniors and their family members looking for a city with great air and water quality scores.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Christiansburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Christiansburg start around $4,322 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Christiansburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Christiansburg
Financial assistance may be available for assisted living facilities in Christiansburg via the state's Auxiliary Grant.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Christiansburg
Christiansburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Christiansburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Christiansburg
Christiansburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Christiansburg
Review of English Meadows Christiansburg Campus
I talked with Chris Grogg the Campus Administrator and he put me at ease in making this difficult decision with my dad. The staff was always helping someone that needed help and that was impressi... Read more
Review of English Meadows Christiansburg Campus
My grandfather is staying at English Meadows Christiansburg Campus. In the mornings they are a little slow to respond to the call button when you need help. They do the arts and crafts in the dinin... Read more
Review of Commonwealth Senior Living at Christiansburg
Commonwealth Senior Living at Christiansburg is an older place, but the people there are very good. They seem to have a bit of a turnover, mostly from the younger caregivers. Other caregivers are v... Read more