2 Assisted Living Facilities near Covington, VA
There are 2 Assisted Living Facilities in the Covington area, with 1 in Covington and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Covington, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Covington, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Covington
Covington is located in the stretch of the Appalachian Mountains that run through northwest Virginia, right in the heart of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. It is one of the least populated towns in all of Virginia despite its beautiful environment. Over twenty percent of Covington’s population is over the age of 60 and there are three assisted living facilities in the immediate area, all of which are licensed and regulated by Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Covington
- The climate in Covington has four very defined seasons. Winters regularly drop into the low 20s, while summer highs will top out in the upper 80s. The rest of the year tends to be considered comfortable, light jacket weather for seniors.
- Covington has moderate air quality throughout the year. This is due to pollen from the surrounding forest that often fills the air, as well as some pollution that comes off nearby mining operations.
- The overall cost of living in Covington is well below the national and state average. However, regular expenses like groceries, health care services and transportation are in line with state and national averages.
- There is a decent amount of crime in Covington. The overall violent crime rate is over the state median but under the national median. Because of this, it is only 24 percent safer than other cities in the United States.
- The company RADAR operates what is known as The Mountain Express, a shuttle service that serves the Greater Roanoke Valley, which includes the town of Covington. For a one dollar fare, seniors can ride a specific route in the area.
- The Covington area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in the nearby town of Alleghany.
Paying for Assisted Living in Covington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Covington start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Covington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Covington
The Virginia Department of Social Services offers an Auxiliary Grant, specifically available to those who receive Supplemental Social Income. This grant can be used by Seniors who need financial aide with assisted living. A monthly payment is issued to each qualified senior to help pay for their ALF.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Covington
Covington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Covington, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Covington
Covington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.