9 Assisted Living Facilities near Punxsutawney, PA
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Punxsutawney area, with 5 in Punxsutawney and 4 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Punxsutawney. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Punxsutawney 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Brookville with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Punxsutawney, call (855) 863-8283.
5 Assisted Living Facilities in Punxsutawney, PA
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Punxsutawney, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Punxsutawney
Punxsutawney Phil makes an appearance each February 2nd on Gobbler's Knob, located in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, but local seniors can walk the half-mile trail year-round. Nearly 6,000 people live alongside Phil, and approximately 20% of them are 65 or older.
For those in this demographic requiring help with the tasks of daily living, there are five assisted living facilities in Punxsutawney and four more in nearby communities. In Pennsylvania, including Punxsutawney, assisted living facilities are known as assisted living residences (ALR) and regulated by the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Punxsutawney
- Punxsutawney is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Punxsutawney Area Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The air quality is Punxsutawney is 68, ten points above the national average, and the water quality is 87, 32 points higher than the national average. This may be great news for families of seniors moving to the area from cities with lower scores or with family members who have COPD or other respiratory ailments.
- Seniors living in Punxsutawney pay one-third the cost for housing than in the nation as a whole. The town's cost of living is 75, 25% lower than national and state averages.
- According to one measure, Punxsutawney gets an A+ for its low crime rate, which is 47% lower than the state median and 62% lower than the U.S. average. Seniors may still wish to find out what safety measures are in place to protect residents and their property.
- Seniors 60 and older can enjoy games, fitness activities and help to find resources at the Punxsutawney Senior Center. They can also enjoy group meals and special activities.
- In Pennsylvania, seniors don't pay taxes on retirement income, such as Social Security, IRAs and 401(k)s which could result in more money for Punxsutawney seniors' monthly budgets.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Punxsutawney
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Punxsutawney start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Punxsutawney and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Punxsutawney
In Punxsutawney and the rest of the state, seniors who already qualify for SSI may be able to receive assistance for assisted living costs too. According to PA Code 2800.27, seniors cannot be charged more than their monthly income for assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Punxsutawney
Punxsutawney and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Punxsutawney, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Punxsutawney
Punxsutawney-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Punxsutawney
Review of Lane Avenue Assisted Living
This facility has a lot of caring people who are employed there. I have always enjoyed my visits here. The staff is friendly are there are always several activities for the residents to engage in.... Read more
Review of Mulberry Square
My great-grandmother stayed at this facility before she passed away. The staff was very friendly and helpful. No one's call bell ever seemed to go unanswered for very long at all. We were allowe... Read more