12 Assisted Living Facilities near New Castle, PA
Also serving communities of Edinburg.
There are 12 Assisted Living Facilities in the New Castle area, with 7 in New Castle and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in New Castle is $2,446 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 28 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Castle. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Castle 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Ellwood City with an average rating of 3.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Castle, call (855) 863-8283.
7 Assisted Living Facilities in New Castle, PA
5 Assisted Living Facilities near New Castle, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Castle
In 1798, plans were laid out for New Castle, PA, a land grant community donated to Revolutionary War veterans. Today, approximately 22,000 people live in New Castle, and 19% of them are aged 65 and older. Seniors can take art classes at the Hoyt Institute or visit the Living Treasures zoo to view animals from all over the world. For seniors who find they need assistance with the activities of daily living, there are eight assisted living facilities within the city and five more nearby.
In Pennsylvania, including New Castle, the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing regulates assisted living residences (ALRs), which is what assisted living facilities are called in Pennsylvania.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Castle
- The cost of living in Newcastle is 70% of the state and national baseline of 100. Families of seniors moving to the area may pay just a fifth of the national average for housing costs. Transportation and healthcare are also cheaper here than the state and national figures.
- The New Castle violent crime rate is 30.5, about eight points higher than the national average, and its property crime rate of 51.4 is much higher than the U.S. average of 35.4. Seniors touring assisted living facilities may wish to ask what measures are taken to ensure the security of the facility.
- Newcastle's average temperature ranges from 18-83 degrees. This is close to the national range of 21-86 degrees. However, seniors sensitive to extremely hot or cold temperatures may wish to ask whether residents can adjust the temperature in their rooms.
- According to the EPA, New Castle's air quality is 61, three points higher than the national average. This means seniors with respiratory ailments may breathe a bit easier here than in similarly sized communities in the rest of the country.
- New Castle is home to world-class medical facilities, including UPMC Jameson Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors living in New Castle and the rest of the state live in a somewhat tax-friendly area. PA seniors don't pay taxes on retirement income, such as IRAs, Social Security or 401(k)s, which may help them save extra money for assisted living fees.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Castle
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in New Castle start around $2,446 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Castle and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Castle
In Pennsylvania, including New Castle, seniors who receive SSI could be eligible for assistance paying for assisted living costs. According to PA Code 2800.27, seniors can't be charged more than their monthly income for assisted living services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Castle
New Castle and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Castle, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Castle
New Castle-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near New Castle, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Castle
Review of Jameson Care Center
This place is horrible. My mother was in the rehad for 7 days. The rehad people were wonderful but the regular care was a joke. Not enough care and the whole time my mom was there they never cleane... Read more
Review of Carriage Court
Carriage Court (Formerly Carriage Manor) is really nice. My mother's accommodations look like a regular bedroom. They have church twice on Sundays, and the laundry is included with the fee. The din... Read more
Review of Carriage Court
The people at Carriage Court are great as far as being personal, but there's just not too much being offered there in terms of stimulation. We've had a few problems there too, but we've worked thos... Read more