13 Assisted Living Facilities near New Castle, PA
Also serving communities of Edinburg.
There are 13 Assisted Living Facilities in the New Castle area, with 8 in New Castle and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in New Castle is $2,464 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 31 reviews below for assisted living facilities in New Castle. On average, consumers rate assisted living in New Castle 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Poland with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in New Castle, call (855) 863-8283.
8 Assisted Living Facilities in New Castle, PA
5 Assisted Living Facilities near New Castle, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in New Castle
New Castle sits near the Pennsylvania-Ohio border, less than an hour away from Pittsburgh. The city has a large senior population, with nearly 20 percent of its 23,273 residents aged 65 or older. These seniors have opportunities for education and socialization at several city senior centers, including Challenges Center at Shenley Square. Additionally, they can choose from 13 assisted living facilities in the area. These assisted living facilities, along with others throughout the state, secure licensing through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in New Castle
Cost of living in New Castle is below the national average, which seniors will appreciate. On a scale where 100 represents that average, New Castle ranks 70.4. Housing prices are especially low at 20.7 and healthcare costs are higher, but still below average, coming in at 85.7.
- Cold, snowy winters and plenty of precipitation define New Castle's climate, which makes the area ideal for snow-loving seniors. Winter lows dip into the teens, and the area sees about 35 inches of snow a year. New Castle also gets 41 inches of rain annually, which is higher than the national average of 38 inches. Summers are mild, with high temperatures reaching the low 80s.
- New Castle crime rates are above the national average. On a scale where one represents the safest city and 100 the most dangerous, the area's violent crime rate is 30.5, compared to a national average of 22.7. Property crime rates are higher at 51.4, compared to an average of 35.4. Seniors may want to keep these crime rates in mind as they search for an assisted living facility.
- Seniors can enjoy some tax savings in New Castle. Pennsylvania exempts social security income, along with other retirement income, from taxes.
- Seniors ride for free on the New Castle Area Transit Authority's bus system. Seniors aged 65 and older can complete a transit pass application to secure their transit pass for no-cost bus rides throughout the city.
- The New Castle area is home to world-class medical facilities, including UPMC Jameson, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in New Castle
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in New Castle start around $2,464 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in New Castle and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in New Castle
Eligible Pennsylvania seniors can secure financial assistance for assisted living through supplemental security income benefits. This aid, which is based on a senior's income level, can help offset the cost of room and board for Pennsylvania seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in New Castle
New Castle and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in New Castle, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in New Castle
New Castle-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near New Castle, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in New Castle
Review of Carriage Court
Carriage Court (Formerly Carriage Manor) is really nice. My mother's accommodations look like a regular bedroom. They have church twice on Sundays, and the laundry is included with the fee. The din... Read more
Review of Carriage Court
The people at Carriage Court are great as far as being personal, but there's just not too much being offered there in terms of stimulation. We've had a few problems there too, but we've worked thos... Read more
Review of Lawrence County Geri Care
This facility is more concerned with cleanliness than patient care. Care givers have to do the laundry (including bedspreads and comforters weekly) and all the cleaning of the patient rooms and bat... Read more