23 Assisted Living Facilities near Salem, OR
Also serving communities of Turner, Sublimity, Stayton.
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Salem area, with 18 in Salem and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Salem is $3,322 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 120 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Salem. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Salem 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Keizer with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Salem, call (855) 863-8283.
18 Assisted Living Facilities in Salem, OR
5 Assisted Living Facilities near Salem, OR
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Salem
Salem, the Oregon state capital, is located in the heart of the Willamette Valley growing area, which is known for its abundant blueberries, cherries, hazelnuts and wine. Much of this bounty finds its way to the Saturday farmers' market that sets up just outside of the capitol grounds in downtown Salem from May through October.
Seniors who enjoy this area and are in need of help with activities of daily living, personal care and medication management have 34 assisted living facilities (ALFs) in Salem to choose from. Oregon state law defines ALFs as those facilities having six or more seniors housed in self-contained living units. all regulated by the Oregon Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Salem
- The air in the Salem/Portland, Oregon area is relatively poor. The National Lung Association gives the air in the region a "C" rating for high ozone days and a "D" rating for 24-hour particle pollution. This could potentially aggravate asthma, COPD and other chronic breathing conditions.
- It's not inexpensive to live in Salem. The cost of living in the city is8 percent higher than the national average. The cost of health care and utilities, in particular, are higher in Salem than the U.S. average, which can be a burden to older people living on a fixed income.
- Salem has mild winters and warm, dry summers, although it can be rainy in the fall and early winter. The average high temperature in Salem in January is 48 degrees Fahrenheit, and the average high temperature in July is 82 degrees Fahrenheit. The rainy season dampness can be troublesome for older people with chronic joint issues like arthritis.
Crime is a problem throughout the Pacific Northwest and Salem is no exception. While the crime rate in Salem has decreased slightly in recent years, it is still 52 percent higher than the national average, which can be somewhat scary for seniors and their families.
- Seniors with cars can travel easily to Portland and Eugene via I-5, which runs through the center of Salem. For public transportation, the Salem Area Mass Transit System operates daily public bus transportation and offers seniors, age 60 and older, a fare discount when they obtain a discounted fare card. Dial-a-Ride offers curb-to-curb transportation for seniors Monday through Friday at an affordable rate.
- The Salem, Oregon area is home to world-class medical facilities including Salem Health Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Salem
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Oregon
Assisted Living costs in Salem start around $3,266 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Salem and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Salem
Seniors who live in Salem and meet the program eligibility requirements will fnd a number of state and federal programs to help them pay for an assisted living facility, including the Community First Choice Plan (Oregon K Plan), and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Salem
Salem and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Salem, please visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Salem
Salem-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Oregon are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Oregon page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Salem, OR
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Salem
Review of Meadow Creek Village Assisted Living
I found upon entering the community that the staff all seemed to be happy in what they were doing, right down to the house keeper. I was met with open arms and, they were overly helpful. The buildi... Read more
Review of Meadow Creek Village Assisted Living
My dad has moved into Meadow Creek Village. It is a small place, so residents get a lot of individual attention, which is really important. The living atmosphere is great. Food isn't great, but it ... Read more
Review of Prestige Senior Living Orchard Heights
My Mom was given amazing care at this facility. I was sorry when my Mom passed on after being on hospice, as I really miss the wonderful, caring staff at Orchard Heights. Read more