4 Assisted Living Facilities near Portsmouth, OH
Also serving communities of New Boston, Seaman.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Portsmouth area, with 2 in Portsmouth and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Portsmouth. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Portsmouth 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Wheelersburg with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Portsmouth, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Portsmouth, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, which sits between the Ohio River and Scioto River, is a historic city with over 35 of its buildings listed in the National Register of Historic Places. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a population of 20,340, 16.5% of which are people age 65 and older. To accommodate seniors who need assistance with activities of daily living, like bathing, transferring and incontinence care, they have two assisted living facilities. These facilities are licensed and regulated by the Bureau of Regulatory Operations, a division of the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Portsmouth
- The Portsmouth area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Southern Ohio Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Portsmouth is full of art and cultural exhibits for seniors to enjoy. Seniors can spend their day admiring the Portsmouth Floodwall Mural, learn interesting historical facts at the Southern Ohio Museum or catch a play at the Vern Riffe Center for the Arts.
- Social security income is exempt from all state taxes in the state of Ohio. On the other hand, pensions and other retirement accounts are taxed as regular income, but seniors may be eligible for credits to help lower the amount they might have to pay.
- The cost of living in Portsmouth is 29.3% lower than the national average, which may give seniors and their families more room to budget for assisted living expenses.
- Portsmouth has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Area Agency on Aging District 7, an organization that offers numerous helpful programs and resources for seniors in hopes of bettering health and overall well-being, as well as one senior center.
- Seniors who don't mind cold weather will enjoy Portsmouth, as it can get really chilly, with temperatures averaging as low as 22 degrees in winter months and snowfall averaging around 12 inches yearly. On the other hand, it can get decently warm during the summer when temperatures average around 85 degrees.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Portsmouth
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Portsmouth start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Portsmouth and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Portsmouth
The Ohio Department of Aging offers financial assistance to seniors who need to live in assisted living facilities through the Assisted Living Waiver Program. Eligibility is determined based on age, level of impairment and income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Portsmouth
Portsmouth and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Portsmouth, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Portsmouth
Portsmouth-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Portsmouth, OH
Other Options in Portsmouth, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Portsmouth
Review of Hill View Health Center
At Hill View, they are great. They are friendly, super, and much cheaper. It is built around a lake, so the residents have an even better view. They could look out over the lake and see the ducks, ... Read more
Review of Hill View Health Center
The facility cleanliness was outstanding and am sure it meets beyond standard requirements. The staff that work there are very friendly and helpful. They made sure to show me everything I needed to... Read more