1 Assisted Living Facility in Pulaski, NY
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pulaski, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Pulaski, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pulaski
Pulaski, N.Y., is a quaint village of just more than 2,300 residents listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The community is located in upstate New York on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario and the Tug Hill Plateau. It is noted for heavy winter snow, an element that could create mobility challenges for seniors. To help accommodate seniors in the area, there is one assisted living facility located in Pulaski.
In Pulaski, as in the entire state of New York, assisted living communities are designated as Adult Care Facilities (ACFs) and are regulated by the New York State Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pulaski
- Pulaski is situated in the Snowbelt which creates large amounts of lake effect snow each winter. The average annual snowfall amount is 152 inches as opposed to the U.S. average of 26 inches. Winters are extra long in Pulaski, lasting from mid-November through mid-April.
- Cost of living in Pulaski is 14.6 percent lower than the national average with notable differences in housing and health care.
- The Oswego County Public Transit (OPT) offers complimentary Call-N-Ride bus service for seniors 60 and over. The vehicles are ADA accessible with lifts that can accommodate up to 800 pounds. Transportation to Medicaid and non-emergency medical appointments can also be scheduled.
Taxes in Pulaski are slightly higher than the U.S. average. The sales tax rate is 8 percent compared with the 6 percent U.S. rate, and the income tax rate is 6.5 percent compared with the national rate of 4.6 percent.
- The Pulaski area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Syracuse, about 40 miles away.
- The Oswego County Office for the Aging provides a Home Delivered Meals Program. Seniors may also gather for activities and meals at eight Senior Dining and Activity Centers in the county. Transportation for seniors is available to some centers on certain days.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pulaski
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Pulaski start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pulaski and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pulaski
Residents in Pulaski have several options for assisted living financial assistance, including Medicaid waivers such as the Managed Long Term Care Waiver (MLTC) and the Consumer-Directed Personal Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pulaski
Pulaski and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pulaski, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pulaski
Pulaski-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.