17 Assisted Living Facilities near Morris Plains, NJ
With an average cost of $5,085 in Morris Plains, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 20 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 2 facilities in Morris Plains.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Morris Plains, NJ
15 Assisted Living Facilities near Morris Plains, NJ
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Morris Plains
The library in Morris Plain, New Jersey, once housed light horsemen during the Revolutionary War. Today, the town boasts 5,532 people, 16.6% of whom are aged 65 and older. Some of those seniors may need help with the activities of daily living, which can be provided by the town's two assisted living facilities. There are 16 other facilities to choose from in nearby cities, such as Florham Park and Chatham. In Morris Plains and all of New Jersey, assisted living facilities are licensed and regulated by the New Jersey Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Morris Plains
- With annual temperatures ranging between 20 and 85 degrees, Morris Plains weather is typical for the northeastern part of the U.S. during the coldest and hottest months of the year, which are January and July, respectively. Seniors visiting assisted living facilities in the area may wish to ask whether individual temperature controls are available in residents' rooms.
- Morris Plains has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Morristown.
- Rates for property and violent crime, at 18.7 and 10.4, respectively, are about half the national average. Morris Plains' crime rates are also lower than the state property crime rate of 25 and violent crime rate of 15. Despite the lower crime rates, family members may wish to ask each facility what measures are taken to ensure resident safety.
- Morris Plains' cost of living is 167, compared to the state average of 133 and the national average of 100. This is mainly due to housing costs that are 2.5 times the U.S. average. This may indirectly impact monthly assisted living fees for area seniors since housing costs can impact a facility's cost of operations.
- In Westfield and the rest of New Jersey, seniors don't pay taxes on income from Social Security, but IRAs and other retirement accounts are subject to taxation on a sliding scale. Seniors on a tight budget may want to plan accordingly.
- In measurements based on the EPA's National Air Toxics Assessment, Morris Plains' air quality of 65 exceeds the national average by seven points. This may mean that seniors with asthma and other chronic respiratory conditions can breathe easier here.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Morris Plains
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New Jersey
Assisted Living costs in Morris Plains start around $5,085 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Morris Plains and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Morris Plains
New Jersey seniors in Morris Plains and elsewhere who qualify for Medicaid Managed Long Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) may be able to get help with the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Morris Plains
Morris Plains and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Morris Plains, please visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Morris Plains
Morris Plains-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New Jersey are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New Jersey page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Morris Plains, NJ
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Morris Plains
Review of Arbor Terrace Morris Plains
I visited both assisted living and memory care sides of Arbor Terrace Morris Plains. The building facilities were very new and reminded me of a hotel. The rooms were on the smaller side, as well as... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Morris Plains
Sunrise of Morris Plains seemed to be a very clean and homey kind of place. The room I saw was nice. It looked like a nice place and I'd be very comfortable with my parents living there. The staff ... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Morris Plains
I spoke with Kimberly there at Sunrise of Morris Plains and I got an excellent tour. I didn't taste their food, but I spoke to some of the residents and they said that the food is very good. They'r... Read more