6 Assisted Living Facilities near Buffalo, MN
Also serving communities of Saint Michael, Albertville, Big Lake, Becker.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Buffalo area, with 3 in Buffalo and 3 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Buffalo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Buffalo 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Elk River with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Buffalo, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Buffalo, MN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Buffalo
Buffalo is located in the southeastern region of Minnesota and is home to the Buffalo Community Center, which provides social and recreational programs for adults aged 50 and over. The city has about 16,000 residents, nearly 15% of whom are seniors.
Buffalo seniors who cannot live alone may reside in one of the region's six assisted living facilities, three of which are located within the city proper. While assisted living facilities in Buffalo and throughout Minnesota are not required to obtain licensing, they do have to register annually with the Minnesota Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Buffalo
- Buffalo's overall crime rate is low relative to the national average, and only a small portion of the city's crimes are violent in nature, which may appeal to seniors seeking out a safe city for their retirement years. On a 100-point index, the city's violent crime rate is 8.7 and the property crime rate is 30.7, versus the respective national averages of 22.7 and 35.4.
- Buffalo has a relatively cool climate. Summer highs are 4 degrees lower than the national average at 82 degrees, and winters are very cold with lows around 3 degrees, which is almost 20 degrees colder than the national average. Seniors may want to seek out an assisted living facility with individual climate control.
- The overall cost of living in Buffalo is about 10% higher than the nationwide average and 4% higher than the statewide average, mainly due to high housing and transportation costs. This may drive up assisted living costs and be a concern for seniors with fixed incomes.
- Buffalo seniors pay state income tax on all types of retirement income, including their Social Security benefits and public pension income. Minnesota also has a high sales tax rate. This may leave less money in the budget for local assisted living expenses.
- The Buffalo area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Buffalo Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Buffalo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Buffalo start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Buffalo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Buffalo
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Buffalo
Buffalo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Buffalo, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Buffalo
Buffalo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Buffalo
Review of Cottagewood Assisted Living
Top notch care by professionals who obviously love their job and the residents they serve. staff to resident ratio = excellent; broad range of activities; exc. meals; very clean and homey. But mo... Read more
Review of Park Terrace Assisted Living
My mom is at Park Terrace. We chose this facility because they seem to have a good reputation and my brother lives just two blocks away from there. The staff was very friendly. The place is beautif... Read more
Review of Park Terrace Assisted Living
I believe there this facility and trained staff offers comfort, compassion and the care that you are truly looking for when placing a loved one in the hands of others. It appears that the environm... Read more