5 Assisted Living Facilities in Alpena, MI
Also serving communities of Barton City, Rogers City, Rogers City, Millersburg.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Alpena. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Alpena 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Alpena, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Alpena, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Alpena
The Alpena Light marks the entrance to Thunder Bay River on the shore on Lake Huron. Seniors in Alpena, Michigan, can view the landmark from the lake on outings with family members. Of the 28,360 people living here, 23.4% are at least 65 years old, and some of these aging citizens may require help with daily tasks like grooming and meals.
To accommodate these seniors, there are five assisted living facilities in town. In Michigan, including Alpena, these facilities are called homes for the aged and are overseen by the Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Alpena
- Seniors living in Michigan get a break on state income tax. Social Security benefits are not taxed, and pension income and withdrawals from retirement accounts are only partially taxable. Alpena's aging citizens may have a bit more money left over to pay for assisted living.
- With housing costs at 45% of the national average and cheaper transportation than state or national averages, Alpena's cost of living is 77.7, which is low compared to the U.S. baseline of 100. This may be good news for family members moving here to take care of loved ones in assisted living care.
- Alpena's violent crime rate is 18.7, about three points lower than the national norm. Alpena's property crime rate is 34.1, on par with the U.S. average of 35.4. This may help seniors feel safe in town while shopping or attending appointments.
- With 74 snowy days each year versus the U.S. average of 28, Alpena still manages to receive 177 sunny days a year versus 205 sunny days on average for the nation as a whole. The city's annual temperature range is 12-79 degrees, which translates to moderate summers and frigid winters. Seniors touring assisted living facilities may want to ask staff members whether the temperature controls are adjustable in each resident's room.
- The EPA awarded Alpena an air quality rating of 79, 21 points above the U.S. average. This could be great news for seniors with COPD or asthma looking for good air quality.
- The Alpena area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mon Health Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Alpena
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Alpena start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Alpena and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Alpena
In Alpena and throughout Michigan, low-income seniors may be eligible for assistance with assisted living costs through one of two Medicaid waivers, the MI Health Link or the MI Choice waivers, or through the optional state supplement.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Alpena
Alpena and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Alpena, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Alpena
Alpena-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Alpena
Review of Turning Brook Iii
We put my dad in assisted living at Turning Brook. My goal was to bring him down closer to me, but because of his failing health, we lost him in Alpena. It was a very nice facility. They were very ... Read more
Review of Sunshine Garden Afc
Sunshine Gardens is a reasonably priced care home for the elderly and mentally disabled. All meals are cooked for the residents, as well as laundry, cleaning, and bathing services. Some rooms in SG... Read more