2 Assisted Living Facilities in Gaylord, MI
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Gaylord. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Gaylord 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Petoskey with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Gaylord, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Gaylord
Gaylord is a small northern Michigan city of about 3,600 residents, about one in five of whom are 65 and over. This unique city, which is styled after an Alpine village, is home to the headquarters of the Otsego County Commission on Aging, an organization that provides meals, caregiving services and health services to area seniors.
Gaylord seniors can also tour two local assisted living facilities, which are officially known as homes for the aged. Like all assisted living facilities in the state, they are governed by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Gaylord
- The Gaylord area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Otsego Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Gaylord seniors who rely solely on Social Security benefits do not pay any state income tax. Those who draw retirement income from other sources can claim a large deduction.
- With a cost of living that is roughly 15% below the state and national averages, Gaylord may be a good option for seniors with restrictive budgets. Healthcare expenses, including hospital stays, doctor’s office visits and dental care, are also 15% lower than the national average, which may benefit retirees.
- Statistically, Gaylord has one of the highest crime rates in the nation, with virtually 100% of U.S. and Michigan cities having lower property and violent crime rates. Seniors should seek out an assisted living facility that utilizes up-to-date security technology.
- Over the course of the year, temperatures in Gaylord range between 10 degrees and 78 degrees. While summers tend to be comfortable and mild, winters are harsh. As they’re researching local assisted living options, seniors may want to find out what types of indoor activities are hosted during the cold months.
- On a scale of one to 100, with 100 indicating clean air with low levels of harmful pollutants, the air quality in Gaylord is 74, about 16 points higher than the national average. Seniors with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions may breathe easy here.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Gaylord
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Gaylord start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Gaylord and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Gaylord
Michigan helps seniors cover assisted living services through several programs, including the Medicaid State Plan, the MI Health Link waiver program and the MI Choice waiver program. Seniors who receive SSI are eligible to receive an optional state supplement on top of their regular SSI benefit, which can be used towards living expenses in Gaylord.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Gaylord
Gaylord and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Gaylord, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Gaylord
Gaylord-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Gaylord
Review of Woodland Acres Assisted Living
My parents were both placed at WA a couple years ago. My dad just passed two months ago. I cannot say enough positive about Woodland Acres. The staff is amazing. The facility is spotless. The... Read more
Review of Aspen Ridge
This place is terrific! I had my mother there for a short stay while we waited for a new house to be finished and I was the guardian of a lady with With severe arthritis and dementia. I was there... Read more
Review of Woodland Acres Assisted Living
Woodland Acres was nice. It was a homey atmosphere. They provided some interactive games and exercise. You could get a private room, but it was mostly paired up. The staff seemed very nice. I thoug... Read more