12 Assisted Living Facilities in Traverse City, MI
Also serving communities of Elk Rapids, Suttons Bay, Suttons Bay, Leland, Kalkaska.
The average cost of assisted living in Traverse City is $4,109 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 25 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Traverse City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Traverse City 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Cadillac with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Traverse City, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Traverse City
Traverse City is home to many charming amenities for seniors to enjoy like the Grand Traverse Bay, wineries and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Seniors, who make up 18.2 percent of the population, can also check out Traverse City's 12 assisted living facilities — all regulated by the Michigan Bureau of Child and Adult Licensing, a part of the Department of Human Services. Assisted Living facilities are defined by the state as those having 25 or more residents, aged 55 or older.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Traverse City
- The Traverse City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Munson Medical Center and the Traverse Heart and Vascular Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Located in northwest Michigan along the Boardman River, Traverse City is known for its mild summers and severely cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature in January is 28 degrees Fahrenheit and 80 degrees in July.
- The City of Traverse City is home to the Grand Traverse County Commission on Aging, which provides a number of services for residents age 60 and older, including meals on wheels, exercise programs and discounted bus transportation. There are also two senior centers within the city limits.
- While the crime rate in Traverse City is 13 percent lower than the national average, the incidence of violent crime is higher than the national average. Still, overall crime has decreased in the city over the last 12 months.
- There are plenty of public transportation options in the Traverse City area. The Bay Area Transportation Authority (BATA) provides regular, scheduled public bus service throughout Traverse City and the bay area. In addition, the Michigan Smart Bus system offers curb-to-curb service to points within 10 miles with advanced reservations.
- Traverse is home to the National Cherry Festival and the annual Traverse City Film Festival. In addition, Traverse City residents can enjoy the Dennos Museum Center, the City Opera House in downtown and the Traverse Symphony Orchestra.
Paying for Assisted Living in Traverse City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Traverse City start around $4,069 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Traverse City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Traverse City
Eligible Traverse City seniors will find several federal and state programs to help them pay for assisted living. These include Healthy Michigan, MI Choice and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Traverse City
Traverse City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Traverse City, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Traverse City
Traverse City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Traverse City, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Traverse City
Review of Cordia at Grand Traverse Commons
Cordia at Grand Traverse was nice, but I'm not sure if they would have accepted my husband, because he already has dementia. I only talked to two people, and they were fine. We were able to look at... Read more
Review of Culver Meadows Senior Living
Culver Meadows is primarily for dementia patients, and that's the reason why we chose them. I was impressed with them. Each resident has their own room of substantial size. My brother has been ther... Read more
Review of Bay Ridge Assisted Living Center
I have my name on The Village at Bay Ridge's waiting list. When I walked in, it felt like home. The lady who showed me around was very knowledgeable. She made me feel so comfortable. When I called ... Read more