2 Assisted Living Facilities in Big Rapids, MI
Also serving communities of Mecosta, Remus.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Big Rapids. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Big Rapids 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Big Rapids, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Big Rapids
Big Rapids, which is a small city in Mecosta County, Michigan, is home to a sprawling park system with more than 257 acres of parkland for seniors to explore. The city has a population of about 10,400 people, about 7 percent of whom are over the age of 65. The city has two assisted living facilities for local seniors to choose from, with an additional city located nearby.
In Big Rapids, assisted living facilities are categorized as homes for the aged or adult care facilities, depending on the age of the population they're licensed to serve. These facilities are licensed and monitored by the Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Big Rapids
- Big Rapids experiences mild summers with highs in the low-80s and cold, snowy winters with lows near 13 degrees. Average annual snowfall is 62 inches, which may be a consideration for seniors with mobility difficulties.
- Big Rapids is an affordable place to live, with an overall cost of living that is nearly 20 percent below the national average. While grocery costs are roughly on par with the countrywide average, seniors can expect to spend about 10 percent less on transportation and health care expenses here than they would elsewhere in the country.
- Big Rapids seniors do not pay income tax on Social Security benefits, and Michigan provides a large deduction for other types of retirement income.
- Big Rapids Dial-A-Ride makes it easy for seniors to navigate the area, offering fast and comfortable trips around the city. All DART vehicles are wheelchair-accessible, and seniors ride for a discounted rate.
- The Big Rapids area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Big Rapids Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Big Rapids has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Retired Seniors Volunteer Program, an organization that pairs seniors with volunteer opportunities to allow them to remain engaged with the community, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Big Rapids
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Big Rapids start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Big Rapids and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Big Rapids
Seniors in Big Rapids who meet income restrictions may be eligible to receive financial assistance through the Medicaid State Plan if they reside in a home for the aged. Seniors who qualify for Supplemental Security Income also receive an optional state supplement, which can be put toward the cost of care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Big Rapids
Big Rapids and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Big Rapids, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Big Rapids
Big Rapids-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Big Rapids
Review of Evergreen Terrace Assisted Living
Evergreen Terrace is a nice, clean facility. They only have 20 residents, and it's really home-like, not institutional, which appealed to us. The staff is extremely friendly, and I was very impress... Read more
Review of Evergreen Terrace Assisted Living
Evergreen Terrace in Big Rapids, MI is definitely a must see. My grandmother is a current resident of this facility and she is happy about her home. She has lived in this facility for almost two ye... Read more