3 Assisted Living Facilities in Houma, LA
Also serving communities of Thibodaux, Morgan City.
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Houma. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Houma 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Kenner with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Houma, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Houma
Houma is the largest city in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, with over 33,000 residents governed by the Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government. There are three assisted living facilities to choose from in Houma, all of which offer the kind of personal care that aging adults sometimes need, including assistance with the activities of daily living, including bathing, dressing and grooming. The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, Health Standards Section licenses all assisted living facilities in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Houma
Weather in Houma is typically hot and humid, as one might expect from a town located on the bayou. The weather on the nearby Gulf of Mexico affects Houma's temperatures significantly, bringing rain throughout the year. Temperatures cool down during the winter without becoming cold.
- Houma's cost of living sits 11.1 percent below the national average, allowing those on a fixed income to stretch their dollars further.
- The Houma area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Terrebonne General Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Houma is the heartland of Cajun culture and cuisine, with thousands flocking to the area to celebrate Mardi Gras every year. Houma's downtown is on the National Register of Historic Places, and local walking tours take visitors to the various museums and cultural centers lining the streets. The Voice of the Wetlands Music Festival each fall presents not only Louisiana musicians but also local art, food and crafts.
- Because of Houma's relatively isolated location on the bayou, its public transportation system, Good Earth Transit, remains primarily local, carrying residents to Thibodaux and small bayou towns.
- Houma has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Terrebonne Council on Aging, an organization that provides recreation, transportation and wellness programs to seniors as well as five senior centers, five senior lunch sites and an activity center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Houma
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Houma start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Houma and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Houma
Louisiana offers Medicaid waivers through its Home and Community Based Services program. Seniors who are eligible for these need-based waivers may be able to use the financial assistance to help pay for their assisted living facility expenses if they can show that their costs are less than they would be in a nursing home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Houma
Houma and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Houma, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Houma
Houma-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Houma
Review of Terrebonne Place
My mother has been at this facility for 15 months. The facility is on its third facility manager. Each manager is progressively worse than the one before. Good employees are rewarded with firing... Read more
Review of The Suites at Sugar Mill Point
My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago. He moved into The Suites @ Sugar Mill Point in May 2012. The wonderful staff at The Suites were unbelievably helpful with his transition. Hi... Read more
Review of The Suites at Sugar Mill Point
I recently visited The Suites at Sugar Mill Point as a prospective assisted living facility for my uncle. I have been to several retirement homes with various relatives over the years and I have ne... Read more