Brookdale Fort Smith

5501 Duncan Road, Fort Smith, AR 72903
Brookdale Fort Smith (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 14 days

Contact us for our May move in special!!

Reviews of Brookdale Fort Smith

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Fort Smith

October 31, 2017

By Mervin

My experience with Brookdale Fort Smith is good. The food is fine, and they have a nice dining room and lots of activities that people can join. They also go out to eat in restaurants. They offer discounts on different things depending on your level of care or if you're a veteran. They have a qualified person on staff for maintenance who does a good job.

May 30, 2017

By supergirl424033

We like Brookdale Fort Smith. I have nothing negative to say; everything has been good. My brother likes the staff. There are several activities posted, but he is not taking advantage of those. He likes the food. He does not eat in the dining room often because he only has one arm, so he is a little self-conscious; the staff brings the meals to his room.

January 11, 2017

By E Milton

My father in law loved Brookdale. He loved his apartment and all of the staff. He felt the meals were good. He participated in the exercise class and bible study. He enjoyed talking to the manager, Joe.

June 28, 2016

By B Virdell011134

We put mom and dad in Brookdale Fort Smith. My dad and I went out and had lunch there, and he liked it. Because Dad liked it and it has memory care, we'd be able to just move them from the regular part into the memory care unit. I enjoyed the food. It's pretty cool because you get a menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and they have meal options for each time. If they want French fries, and they don't want the burger, they can just order the French fries, or if they want carrot cake instead of ice cream or both. It just gives them so many selections and options. If they're not well, they can have a meal brought up to their room. My mom and dad are in a one-bedroom apartment. Dad was really thrilled about it and was looking forward to it. I liked that it has a small kitchenette and a big bathroom with all of the grab bars in it, a big shower, and no tub. The facilities in there are just wonderful. There's staffing 24 hours, so if something were to happen, there's an emergency pull cord in there so someone could come right away. The bedroom itself is spacious and the living room is a good size. It's nice. Some things are a little dated in the room. I asked them to remove the cook stove, and it hasn't been removed, but they pulled the fuse. I expressed concerns to them, but usually they're great about trying to working with us and getting things straightened out. The medical staff is there. The head RN is awesome, and the executive director is great. We have to iron through so many difficulties that my mom has created, and they're very understanding about all of it. The only big negative is that Dad is retired military, so he should be getting all his prescriptions for no cost through Tricare. But they had to start getting their prescriptions though what Brookdale calls Omnicare, which is an out-of-network pharmacy, so their first month bill for prescriptions was $500. We're trying to deal with that, and I went to the executive director and said this isn't right. My dad retired from the service and he deserves to get his medications for free; that's part of the benefits. So, what they're doing is they're working with us and will manage them from there. The nice thing is that they do work with you and if there are problems, 99% of the time, we've been able to resolve them.

October 11, 2015

By James109287650

My father was placed at Brookdale Fort Smith. They're wonderful; however, they were unable to care for my father because of his level of needs. He lived there for about five months. The room was spacious, clean, and well maintained. Their food and dining facility was excellent. They had a wide variety of activities. The level of care was excellent; however, my father deteriorated to the point where he could no longer reside there.

September 30, 2015

We didn’t care for Brookdale Fort Smith because it was several stories high, and my parents would have been on a higher floor. When we went up there, it was very warm, and the elevator was kind of jerking on the way up. They’re not comfortable. We didn’t care too much for the apartment that we saw. The woman that talked to us didn’t have a lot of answers for our questions. There weren’t a lot of people that lived walking around, they don’t seem to be out and about and we were turned off by that one. We went upstairs on the 3rd and 4th floor, and they’re older. They used to be apartments, and they are kind of older. We weren’t impressed with it. I didn’t see anyone doing anything. There was a lady that was coming back from the casino, but I don’t know any other kinds of what else they do. It’s not what we wanted.

July 30, 2013

By Rebecca17

Emeritus at Willow Brook is the best in our area. I visited this place and it was good. Its environment was very good as well. The staff was very personable and helpful.

July 12, 2013

By saraT

My mom moved into Willow Brook and we are so pleased. The staff is so caring and the food is great! It's been a wonderful experience to see my mom so happy!

November 19, 2012

By Karen26

The people at Emeritus are nice. The facility is clean, very pretty and comfortable, and the apartments are lovely. But what good does all that do if the food is awful? That's the main complaint. I went to the director and I think there were a lot of patient's families calling because their parents are upset about the food. My dad is diabetic, so he wants the caregiver with him all the time so she could cook for him, because half the time he can't eat the food. I had a little issue with them not taking out his trash and they weren't doing his laundry. But I got that all straightened out. He doesn't participate very much with the activities, although he plays bingo. Sometimes they take them out for breakfast and for lunch.

March 15, 2012

By Nalini

I work as a Caregiver part time. I had a client at this facility and spent 3 shifts there. The entry way nice, more like a home then a facility. There was nice furniture and clean carpeting. There was no smell as there often is with nursing homes. I did hear other residents that had doors open. It also took me some time to find an employee to give me directions to the client's room. The client's room was medium sized, well lit, and furnished. I'm unsure if that was all her responsibility. There were 3 rooms, one made up the living/kitchen. There was room for a small table, television, and love seat. Fair size bedroom and bath that allowed for equipment needed to assist the client. There was a nice view from the window. I met with a few of the staff. All were polite and dressed in scrubs. I did overhear some gossiping about a certain overweight patient. That was certainly not professional. However, I would like to think it was a one time issue, as there were no other recurrence during the time I was there.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Fort Smith

Questions about Brookdale Fort Smith

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Brookdale is proud of our ongoing training required by associates on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Fort Smith. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Mid 70's and up. We are proud to serve several residents 100+ years old. Some of the favorites are B-fit exercise programming, happy hour, card groups, arts and crafts, entertainment, outings and religious services.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Fort Smith offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Outings, exercise, arts and crafts, entertainment, men's club, religious services, pet therapy, multiple card groups, book club, etc

What places are near Brookdale Fort Smith or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Conveniently located to a variety of shopping venues as well as physician offices and other healthcare professionals.

What transportation services does Brookdale Fort Smith offer to assisted living residents?

Scheduled transportation is available.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Fort Smith exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Three meals served restaurant style in our beautiful, spacious dining room. We can meet most special diet considerations with low sodium and sugar free options. Private dining room is available upon request.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Fort Smith offer to assisted living residents?

pull cords and pendants will notify associates of assistance needed

How does Brookdale Fort Smith keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Regular careplan meetings and scheduled family nights. We encourage families to reach out to leadership team whenever there is a need or a question.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Fort Smith during daytime and nighttime hours?

At minimum, we staff according to state regulations. Due to our unique care rate system, staffing ratios will increase as care needs increase.

If Brookdale Fort Smith accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Community pets are welcome in common areas and courtyards. Pets are not allowed in the dining room.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Fort Smith provide to protect residents who wander?

We offer memory care in our community.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Fort Smith offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We utilizes residents' histories to incorporate interest, hobbies and past lifestyles into their daily paths. Our Clare Bridge program director ensures their day is full of appropriately stimulating activities in both small group and indivdual settings.

our Health and Wellness Director along with the clare bridge program manager.

How does Brookdale Fort Smith keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We have dedicated associates specifically working in our Clare Bridge neighborhood under the guidance of the Clare Bridge Manager. The leadrship team will communicate with families regularly regarding their loved ones' health.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Fort Smith. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Brookdale Fort Smith is located in a residental area although conviently close to main roadways.

Is Brookdale Fort Smith affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Photos of Brookdale Fort Smith

• Memory Care Training

• Licenses: Level 1 Assisted Living-Arkansas

About Brookdale Fort Smith

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Our community is located in a beautiful neighborhood setting, centrally located to hospitals, clinics, shopping and restaurants. We are also convenient to sporting events and cultural programs at the University of Arkansas Fort Smith.

Map of Brookdale Fort Smith