Elizabeth House

Reviews of Elizabeth House

Assisted Living Reviews for Elizabeth House

June 30, 2011

By GuiCyber

I had high hopes for Elizabeth House as a potential facility in which to place my mother. It was close to my home and I could walk there in less than 10 minutes. I was really counting on this assisted living facility meeting my needs, but unfortunately, it came up short. When I entered the front door, everything looked bright and inviting. But finding someone in the marketing department who could answer my questions took a lot of effort. No one seemed interested in speaking with me, and when I was finally taken on a tour, it was done so quickly that I had no opportunity to ask questions or spend time examining the different areas of the facility. Elizabeth House is small and intimate, and on the surface, it looks very cozy and comfortable. However, the very quick tour pointed out some deficiencies that I felt needed immediate correction. For example, there was a strong odor of urine in the halls, combined with the smell of bleach and disinfectant. Although I understand that these odors are common in assisted living facilities, Elizabeth House seemed to be trying to quickly mask the odor, rather than cleaning the source of the problem. The admissions staff answered questions, but did not go into a lot of detail, so I had to dig to get the information I was looking for. Although there is a calendar of activities, on the afternoon I was there, two scheduled events had been canceled, and the residents were sitting around in the day room looking bored. One lady was practically falling out of her wheelchair. No one seemed to be paying attention to her. The rooms at Elizabeth House were large and spacious, but the lighting was very dim and it did not look like the housekeeping staff had emptied out the wastebaskets in several days. Trash was overflowing from almost every recepticle, and that was a big red flag for me. Elizabeth House has the potential to be a first rate facility, but it seems like the management needs to make major changes to the way it operates. In checking their ratings on the Medicare.gov site, Elizabeth House could stand some improvement. There were many things that I liked about Elizabeth House, but the current situation and lethargic attitude made me rule it out. Perhaps it might be good for someone else's loved one -- but it was not the right place for my mother.

About Elizabeth House

Elizabeth House is a senior living provider in Glen Allen, Virginia that offers residents Assisted Living. Contact Elizabeth House for more details on services and rates.

Map of Elizabeth House