University Place Abilene, TX

Offers Independent Living

1250 E. North 10th Street, Abilene, TX 79601
University Place (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 7 days

$250 off the 1st 6 months Birthday month free Community Fee credited back toward rent on anniversary month

Reviews of University Place

Independent Living Reviews for University Place

October 05, 2019

By Betty

I went to University Place, and I liked it. The layout and the size were better than the other place I visited. However, it was expensive. Also, there was no washer and dryer, and that's why I didn't move there. I saw people out and about, I saw the library, the movie area, and where they have the religion stuff. I saw the dining room, I saw several apartments, and the outside area.

November 25, 2016

By Lee417075

I went to University Place. I thought it is very affordable. These are efficiency apartments, 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom apartments. It has a sitdown ready-to-order dining room hall for three meals -- i.e., for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You walk in, you sit at your table, they serve you a menu where you can order, and they bring the food to you just like a regular restaurant. Also you have housekeeping that comes to you twice a month, and you have daily transportation to the local shopping meccas, such as Wal-Mart and Target. I felt like it is very affordable. Also you have outside parking for your vehicles, but you have a shopping route to the shopping center if you’re not driving or if you don’t want to drive. Nothing is furnished, so you bring your own furniture, which is good. The only thing I didn’t like was that they don’t have the washer and dryer units in the unit; the washer and dryer were down the hallway. It’s a shared washer and dryer. That’s the only thing I don’t really care for.

July 11, 2013

By Kim20

My mom lived at University Place for six months. It was a bigger facility than the other she had been to. We chose it because it was accessible and they had transportation and different things going on. The room was beautiful, it was a two bedroom and two bathroom apartment. They probably needed more staff though. Nonetheless, I would recommend this to facility to others.

Questions about University Place

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at University Place. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Average age is 87. Independent people. Some live with assistance at home. Although we are not associated with any particular religion, we do have many Christians here. There are many church related activities during the week. We love to play gams of 42, liverpool rummy, mexican train, rummy cube and bridge. We have fun outings, family events monthly and entertainment that visits our community regularly. We have a blue grass band that plays every Thursday night that is every popular. The residents are genuinely caring towards one another.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

The Paramount Theatre brings lots of fun things to go see, The Abilene Zoo, The Abilene Convention Center and Expo Center, The Grace Museum, The 12th Armored Museum, Frontier Texas Museum, West Texas Fair and Rodeo, Abilene Christian University and Hardin Simmons University (We have quite a few Alumnus here), nearby shopping

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at University Place has organized?

The Abilene Zoo, Went to the Paramount Theatre to see Jay Moore speak on the history of Abilene, Went to The Paramount Theatre to see the Celebration Singers perform, we have been shopping at different stores that the residents enjoy recently (Target, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Dillards)

What transportation services does University Place offer to independent living residents?

We offer transportation on our Van to doctor appointments daily, We also have a bus that we take residents to the grocery store once per week and walmart once per week. This helps them to remain as independent as possible yet be not having to drive, load and unload groceries, etc...

What makes the chef or dining program at University Place exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

The residents are served restaurant style in our dining room. They order from the menu and are served by our professionally dressed servers. They have 7 different options to choose from daily at lunch and dinner. They are served a full course breakfast each day

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

We have a large living room area with 3 different seating areas and a large screen television, we have a library, we have a family room where they play games, have exercise classes and many other activities, the large dining room, a parlor area, an exercise room, a chapel, 4 outdoor courtyards with a beautiful walking track

What safety features or security measures does University Place offer to independent living residents?

We have locked entrances going to the courtyards on the end of the community, We lock the front doors at dusk, we have camera's placed thorough out the community, the parking lot is lit, we do have a concierge at our desk 24/7, each resident is issued an emergency button upon move in. Should an emergency arise they can push the button and alert the Concierge that there is an emergency.

If University Place accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are pet friendly. Dogs and cats must be 25 pounds and below. We have the 3 courtyards that the pets are welcome in and a large back yard area

Does University Place work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We have partnered with Home Instead to provide assistance at home so that people can remain in their home longer if not until the end. They offer a very discounted price for their services on this program. It is cheaper than having to go to Assisted Living.

Costs for University Place

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Computer Class

About University Place

We are an independent-living retirement community who is dedicated to the well-being, growth, and enrichment of the retired seniors who call our community home. Leave the cooking, cleaning, bills, and maintenance to us as you discover the freedom and luxury of retirement living.

Conveniently located just minutes away from downtown Abilene, University Place provides the convenience of nearby shopping, entertainment, churches, doctors and more. Join those who have already made the decision to live worry-free and devote each day to things that matter the most.

We have a small-town feel and friendly residents and associates. Come see why so many of our visitors and residents say we're the happiest place in town!

Map of University Place