8 Assisted Living Facilities in Abilene, TX
The average cost of assisted living in Abilene is $3,228 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 24 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Abilene. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Abilene 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Abilene, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Abilene, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Abilene
Abilene, TX, gets its name from the Book of John, where the word is used to describe a land of pleasant meadows. Residents in Abilene's seven assisted living communities, which the state of Texas calls residential care facilities, can still visit the meadows around Lake Fort Phantom Hill. Abilene's residential care facilities are tightly regulated by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services for comfort and quality of care issues. Staff at these properties provide 24-hour emergency response for residents, as well as room and board and help with normal activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, dressing and taking some medication.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Abilene
Weather in Abilene can get cold in winter, with average December lows of 33 degrees Fahrenheit. This can aggravate seniors' COPD or asthma, but average highs of 94 degrees in summer offset that somewhat. Abilene gets 25 inches of rain and 5 inches of snow a year.
- Abilene is slightly cheaper to live in than the average American city. Senior shoppers pay only about 91 percent the average cost for groceries, for example. Health care in Abilene costs around 3 percent less than national averages, while seniors who use public transportation may pay 4 percent less.
- Texas residents pay no state income tax on their wages or retirement income, but there is a statewide sales tax that ranges between 6.25 and 8.25 percent on most purchases. Seniors who drive also pay 20 cents a gallon for the state gas tax.
- Crime in Abilene is slightly higher than the national average in most non-violent crime categories. Serious offenses, including crimes against seniors, are significantly less common in Abilene than in many other places in the United States.
- Abilene residents who depend on public transportation can catch a ride on CityLink, which operates fixed-schedule routes around the city. Senior riders get a discount on these routes with valid ID, and the network operates a paratransit service for riders with disabilities. Charter bus service with CityLink used to be a popular feature in Abilene, but the program has been suspended indefinitely.
- The Abilene area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Abilene Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Abilene
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Abilene start around $3,228 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Abilene and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Abilene
Aging citizens who need help with some or all of the cost of assisted living can apply for Texas' Medicaid waiver program, known as STAR+PLUS. This benefit helps low- and no-income seniors pay for residential care, though eligibility restrictions do apply.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Abilene
Abilene and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Abilene, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Abilene
Abilene-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Abilene, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Abilene
Review of BeeHive Homes of Abilene
My visit to BeeHive Homes of Abilene was very positive. The dining area was very clean, I liked that the kitchen was open where the residents could see in. They were careful to have snacks out thro... Read more
Review of Lyndale Abilene
My visit to Lyndale Abilene Senior Living was positive, though not as positive as the other place I went to. The staff did not seem quite as involved in the clients or residents' lives, and they se... Read more
Review of BeeHive Homes of Abilene
This is a new assisted facility out by Sam's Club in Abilene, TX. It is a very nice place that we found for our mother. Kathi the coordinator and the nurse Monica are awesome and the staff are al... Read more