2 Assisted Living Facilities in Brownwood, TX
Also serving communities of Comanche, San Saba.
The average cost of assisted living in Brownwood is $2,900 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Brownwood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Brownwood 3.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Brownwood, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Brownwood
Active seniors qualify for discount rates at the Hideout Golf Club, the 18-hole, 7,000-yard golf course that is the main attraction in Brownwood, TX. Residents of the town's two assisted living communities can also spend their days visiting museums and lush public parks downtown before heading home to facilities regulated by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services for health and safety, quality of care and staff training. Seniors here can expect room and board for their monthly fees, as well as emergency response if necessary and help with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as dressing and meal prep from staff who are on call 24 hours a day.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Brownwood
- Weather in Brownwood can cause issues for seniors with respiratory problems when the winter lows dip to 30 degrees Fahrenheit and the air gets dry. Summer highs average 96 degrees with regular high humidity, however, and the wet season here can bring 30 inches of rain.
- The cost of living in Brownwood is a little lower than in similar cities nationwide. Seniors who buy groceries for themselves can expect to pay just 91 percent of the national average, while health care costs are 3 percent cheaper in Brownwood.
- There's no income tax in Texas, so seniors' pensions and retirement income goes a little farther than it would in most other states. Texas does impose a sales tax of between 6.25 and 8.25 percent, however, and aging citizens with cars of their own can expect to pay an extra 20 cents per gallon at the pump.
- Crime is down somewhat in Brownwood, from highs just above the national average in 2012, to slightly lower than average in 2017. Most of Brownwood's crimes are property related, with violent crime rates significantly lower than average for the United States in general.
- The Central Texas Rural Transit District operates City and Rural Rides (CARR) in Brownwood. All rides are scheduled in advance, anyone can call for service and pickup/drop-off locations are up to the rider. CARR requires booking at least two days in advance, and riders with disabilities should ask about ADA-compliant vehicles.
- The Brownwood area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Brownwood Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Brownwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Brownwood start around $2,900 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Brownwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Brownwood
The STAR+PLUS Medicaid waiver program helps cover the cost of assisted living for many low-income seniors in Texas. Seniors interested in the program can ask their Medicaid intake worker for an application packet.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Brownwood
Brownwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Brownwood, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Brownwood
Brownwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Brownwood, TX
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Brownwood
Review of The Chatfield Assisted Living
The care at The Chatfield Assisted Living is minimal, but the staff are friendly. The biggest concern we have is the dietary issues. They don’t have a good cook or a good diet for the different hea... Read more