Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill

Reviews of Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill

Assisted Living Reviews for Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill

March 08, 2016

By Steffanie

I visited The Chateau II (Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill) where I’m considering putting my mom. I liked this one a lot and was really impressed with it. I liked the fact that they have 24-hour dining service with breakfast, lunch, and dinner and a menu you can order from any other time that you want to eat. They have a lot of clipboards set up for different activities that people can sign up for. I liked the whole atmosphere. It is a smaller assisted living, so I thought it would be easier for my mom to be able to get herself around in there in her wheelchair. Everything was good. The apartments were very nice. I definitely would recommend it. I liked the location, the area, and the little community back there. There is a creek behind it and lots of trees. It was a really nice setting back there.

December 10, 2015

By Becki1

Chateau Pleasant Hill is very good, and the staff seems fine. My mother-in-law does not have any complaints. They were very helpful to her. The rooms are adequate, and the food is very good. The dining area is nice, very open, and bright. They can take trips if they want to sign up for them, and there are some exercise classes every day and movies.

Thank you Becki1 for taking them to time to review us. We value your feedback tremendously and are so pleased that your mother-in-law is enjoying her new home. We find our ambiance, activities and the culinary experience to be some of the qualities that set us apart from other communities and we appreciate your recognition of them. Happy Holidays!

November 11, 2015

By Barbara112283250

I moved my brother into Chateau Pleasant Hill. It's an old place but very nice. The people are very nice and accommodating, and the food is fairly good. They provide transportation to some of his medical appointments, but not all of them.

October 30, 2015

By Phyllis115012750

My mother was at Chateau for two days only. We chose the place via referrals. The rooms were bright and roomy. The staff was fabulous, helpful, and friendly. Before we moved in, they took us around. We thought the activities were what she needed. The food was very good. If you didn’t want one of the two selections that were available, you could get something off their café menu, which was a big plus. I would absolutely recommend it.

September 16, 2015

By Jaime5

I went and saw Chateau Pleasant Hill. The staff was really awesome. They spent a lot of time with me, and they really tried to figure out what my parent's needs were. Their room in comparison with the other places that I saw was nice. I thought that they were very accommodating. It was a little bit older and still kind of expensive for what you would get. They had activities like movies, and they had a good amenities. I liked it. I thought they were good. I would recommend it.

April 27, 2015

By Julie106281550

I checked Chateau 1 and 2, and the reason why I picked that was because it was very near my house. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I saw a room that was not finished. Someone had just moved out, and they were taking the carpet out. They were going to repaint, replace the carpet, and everything. I also saw a room that someone was living in. It was small, but comparable to any place else that I had seen. The food was fine. There seemed to be a lot of choices. They had activities every day. They took them shopping. They had little programs and exercises.

March 18, 2015

By Adel1

We went to Chateau II, and we didn’t quite like it. First of all, it was a very old building, and the room was tiny even for one person. The corridors are a little bit smelly. The staff was very nice, and the lobby was nice, but the room was not and that would have been fine if the rates were good. It’s quite convenient to a lot of things; it’s across from a nice shopping center, and I think there is a hospital close by.

December 26, 2013

Chateau Pleasant Hill was definitely a very nice facility. Their rooms were very nice and the people seemed to be well taken care of. They did have lots of activities all day long for them. They have people coming in all the time, bingo, exercises, and trips.

July 15, 2013

By Joy2255

I couldn't believe how nice everyone was there... So sweet and genuinely helpful. Beautiful community and the activity board was packed of interesting things to do. the salad bar was wonderful and the fresh made soup was delicious. I recommend you take a look at this community in your search!

June 07, 2013

By Martha9

The Chateau I, II, and III were comparable to the facility where my sister is in right now as far as being able to take care of here needs as a diabetic and in terms of the facility itself. It is very lovely. I had a friend whose mother was there and she was very happy. But, as far as how they introduced themselves, it just didn't compare. The staff was not as helpful and pleasant during the interview.

February 28, 2013

By Lori8

Chateau I is close to where my mother-in-law currently live, so it's in the same neighborhood. The staff is very friendly. They seem to be very good. However, I was a little concern they never notified anybody when her blood sugar got very, very high, over 300 or 400. So I was really upset about that. Her insulin is one the things they're supposed to be monitoring.

September 02, 2012

By interesting

Based on what I either heard or saw when I was at Chateau I: 1.Altho residents can get simple foods at any time, for a real meal, mealtimes are at an assigned time,at an assigned table with other persons assigned to that table. While this might be necessary for some, I question if this is necessary for all residents....or is it for the convenience of the institution? Why can't residents who choose to, eat anytime between certain hours with whomever they want....or alone if desired? 2. There were no computer classes being offered, and little to no, mostly no, help at the computer I was told . I saw two computers, with one primarily for residents. And, the one computer was not for the vision-impaired ,making it really not accessible to most residents.....even if they were computer literate. In today's techy age, I find this unacceptable. 3. It seemed that visitors who chose to stay overnight in the apartment with their loved one, had to reserve a rollaway well in advance as there were limited rollaways.....was told only one, but this may not be correct; however, being limited does not make it easy for residents to enjoy this most-pleasurable happening. 4. The community TV was installed above a mantle requiring residents to look up which is both tiring and can be painful for some. In summary, I got the impression things were not done with the residents they are serving in mind. I was, truly, surprised and disappointed in the Chateau I.

April 18, 2012

By LoveYaGram

The people were nice enough and the facilities were well taken care of. There weren't that many extra activities and most things required moving to the other facility. This is not possible for most residents. Also, every service was billed separately, so felt a little nickel and dimed.

August 03, 2011

By LisaGeron

Chateau II, which provides assisted living, is a little bit hidden"”you must drive a bit up the roadway to find it. There is a beautiful grove of redwood trees outside. It is smaller and more intimate than many similar facilities, so less overwhelming for people who are used to living in smaller places. Attention has been paid to making the whole facility safe and very accessible, with ample parking and easy door access for residents and visitors. The décor in this pet-friendly facility is upscale and elegant, with art on the wall and fish tanks. A nice sitting room inside, where residents and visitors can gather, feels very intimate and private. There is an outside patio that residents use for socializing in the fresh air. The rooms are not huge, but adequate for an armchair and bed; most also have a mini-kitchen and private bathroom. The food is good and healthy California cuisine, with several choices provided and meals cooked to order on request. There is also a café that serves outside meal times. The activities are great. There is an inhouse activity director who brings in internal and external people that address a number of different interests. Most resident really seem to enjoy the elegant weekly Happy Hours offered. Amenities include housekeeping, laundry, and a van for taking residents to appointments. There is also a hair stylist and masseuse on the premises. Every detail of the place seems perfect"”and well thought out. For example, in the memory care unit there is an extensive collection of tactile mementos such as tools or clothing from past time periods meant to stimulate residents' memories. Often, when visiting in the common rooms I hear residents recounting their memories with staff members who take the time and effort to stimulate a conversation. In fact, the staff is excellent"”from reception through marketing through the nursing caregivers. They want everyone to be satisfied and are very quick to answer questions. They are also quick to follow protocol on logging entry and exit information for visitors, which is a good safety and good source of information about residents who live there. The caregivers are trained to do all but palliative and hospice care. There is an LVN on staff for diabetes care. And it's most impressive that they constantly update their services and training rather than remaining static. Short term respite stays are available starting at $130 a day, and a huge benefit for many residents is they are able to stay if their care needs change. If assisted living is needed in a hurry, management promises something rare: a six-hour turnaround time from inquiry to move-in. Cost for the smallest alcove apartments range from $2,895 to $3,495 to one-bedrooms at $3,195 to $3. A money-back guarantee is offered for those who wish to leave after a 70-day trial period. The reviewer, Lisa Geron, has been a professional social worker for 8 years and has also worked in a variety of positions including care management and palliative care for several years.

June 27, 2011

By EastBayGCM

Other

I've had two clients there, and both left. It has a country club atmosphere. It's a more formal retirement community, a little snootier that fits some people well, others not so well. The facility is tall but fits on a small footprint. It's in a mixed commercial and residential neighborhood near the Martinez border. It's a nice neighborhood, well kept up. The rooms are nice, too, if a little on the small side. I recall that they're all private rooms. The staff is very caring and professional. My only real issue has been with their management of medications. They made a mistake with one of my client's medications that was very serious. But the ownership/management is excellent. The food is excellent. And the activities are good: games, crafts, music, happy hour every day, holiday celebrations. The people who do best here tend to be high functioning and pretty independent. It's not for someone with dementia or other high needs.

Independent Living Reviews for Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill

August 03, 2011

By Lisa Geron

THIS REVIEW PERTAINS TO CHATEAU I ONLY: Chateau I offers independent living run by Carlton Senior Living, a family-owned business that operates a number of facilities in northern California; family members are still involved in the operation. The staff members are extremely professional. One of them, Phil Altman, is an operational manager who spends an amazing amount of time and attention with anyone who comes in the door. As a whole, management seems to be very involved with residents, but also cares about the greater community. From the outside this facility almost looks like a hotel, with a driveway in a semi-circle in front, allowing cars to pull up in front so that walking distance is minimal for those with mobility limitations. Those who walk in the door of the facility always get greeted warmly by someone there who gives a good and positive view of the place. The reception area near the door is always appointed with beautiful flowers. And the common areas are not carpeted, providing an easy walking surface. There are also benches outside each door where residents can sit and socialize. You will often see clusters of people there"”and they're articulate and friendly and seem engaged. They are also groups of residents gathered in the sitting rooms and common areas; they generally seem to be social and comfortable. There is a range of services offered"”from assisted living through memory care, which is in a locked wing with special activities suitable for residents' acuities. A robust activity program is led by an independent activity director, including a Happy Hour on Fridays complete with alcoholic beverages, which encourages residents to remain as independent as possible. Staff members pride themselves on being very positive and resident-centered"”and they deliver on that, obviously putting thought into making it a vibrant place. They also seem to genuinely care about the health issues that the residents may be experiencing"”for example, holding a Diabetes Fair that provides information and training for residents and their families. The food is of very good quality"”California and comfort food cuisine, with an array of choices every day. Residents are also accommodated if they have preferences, with food made to order if requested. Cost for the smallest alcove apartments range from $2,895 to $3,495 to one-bedrooms at $3,195 to $3,495. A money-back guarantee is offered for those who wish to leave after a 70-day trial period. The facility also operates an excellent website, which is clear and easy to use and includes lots of good information, including prices. The reviewer, Lisa Geron, has been a professional social worker for 8 years and has also worked in a variety of positions including care management and palliative care for several years.

Questions about Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have 93 Assisted Living residents who's average age is 87. Many enjoy daily exercise classes and crafts.

What programs or activities does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer both physical and mentally stimulating activities for our residents that are created around their individual interests and hobbies.

What places are near Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

There is shopping and doctor offices located within walking distance of the community including Safeway.

What transportation services does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill offer to assisted living residents?

We offer shuttle service daily to doctor appointments, shopping, churches, banking and errands.

What makes the chef or dining program at Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef is trained in many modalities and offers fresh, made from scratch specials daily.

What safety features or security measures does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill offer to assisted living residents?

We offer an emergency pull cord in each apartment as well as a emergency pendant.

How does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Carlton has a unique position called a Resident Liaison who's primary responsibility is to communicate with family any change of condition or positive involvement of the resident.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill during daytime and nighttime hours?

We do not have a staff-to-resident ratio as we provide care staff based on individual care plans that are created at time of move in by an assessment and updated at least twice a year or when there is a change ion condition like a hospital visit or a fall.

If Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Yes, we are a pet friendly community. Size and breed restrictions apply.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our staff receive on-going training that exceeds state requirements. We have training at our home office called Carlton University.

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We average 32% Independent residents whose average age is 86. All our residents enjoy the same robust activity schedule.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill has organized?

We offer weekly excursions to local museums, casino's and restaurants.

What transportation services does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill offer to independent living residents?

Same as Assisted Living

What makes the chef or dining program at Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Same as Assisted Living

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Same as Assisted Living

What safety features or security measures does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill offer to independent living residents?

Same as Assisted Living

Does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

We work with various local agencies to provide certain type of services.

What safety features or security measures does Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill provide to protect residents who wander?

We offer a wander guard for our residents who may wander.

Costs for Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill

• Spanish
  • Tagalog

• Pets: Small Pets

About Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill

Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill (Formerly Chateau Pleasant Hill) offers Contra Costa County's only continuum of senior care located on a lush campus. The Chateaus are vibrant, activity-filled communities with lots of opportunities to share laughs, fun, and life with new friends.

Apartments at Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill boast views of California oaks, sunset hillsides or landscaped water fountains. The National Wildlife Federation has certified the Chateaus' grounds as a noted 'Backyard Wildlife Habitat,' which encourages wildlife habitation. Not surprisingly, hummingbird feeders and birdhouses are not uncommon sights and the natural environs set the tone for a beautiful living experience.

The Carlton Senior Living experience begins the moment you move in. Our move-in consultation ensures a plan is in place for both resident health care and best life needs. We work with you to create a Personal Expressions activity program and to gauge the level of personal care needed. Ongoing Family Connection Conferences help us monitor resident lifestyle changes and adapt to their healthcare needs accordingly.

Map of Carlton Senior Living Pleasant Hill