7 Assisted Living Facilities near Wheeling, WV
Also serving communities of Moundsville.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wheeling area, with 3 in Wheeling and 4 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wheeling. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Wheeling 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Follansbee with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wheeling, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Wheeling, WV
4 Assisted Living Facilities near Wheeling, WV
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wheeling
Wheeling is nestled along the Ohio River in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and was West Virginia’s first state capital. Today, the city is home to an active senior community that makes up more than 20% of its total population. Seniors in Wheeling considering assisted living can find accommodations in one of the city’s three assisted living facilities.
In Wheeling and in West Virginia as a whole, these facilities are recognized as assisted living residences and residential care communities, both of which are licensed by the Office of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification Division of the Department of Health and Human Resources.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wheeling
- Seniors may want to be careful when out and about in Wheeling where the violent crime rate is 48.4, more than double the U.S. average of 22.7. The property crime rate is lower at 34.5, compared to the national average of 35.4; however, seniors may still want to ensure that prospective facilities have safety protocols in place.
- Wheeling seniors may benefit from West Virginia’s tax-friendly policies. Pensions, retirement savings account withdrawals and Social Security benefits are only partially taxed.
- The Wheeling area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Wheeling Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Wheeling’s cost of living is 84.7, slightly higher than the state average of 83.6 and notably lower than the U.S. average of 100, driven primarily by lower housing costs. Seniors in Wheeling can also expect to pay less for groceries, healthcare and transportation than they would in other areas of West Virginia or the United States.
- The air quality in Wheeling is rated at 67, nine points higher than the national average of 58. Seniors with chronic respiratory or cardiovascular conditions can go outside without fear of their symptoms worsening.
- Seniors who enjoy comfortable summer temperatures may like living in Wheeling where summer highs rarely rise above 84 degrees, perfect for participating in outdoor activities. However, winter lows drop to 22 degrees.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wheeling
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in West Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Wheeling start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wheeling and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wheeling
Seniors in Wheeling may be able to receive financial support to help with the costs of assisted living through West Virginia’s waiver known as the Medicaid Personal Care Option. Although this waiver covers personal care, it doesn't cover room and board expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wheeling
Wheeling and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wheeling, please visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wheeling
Wheeling-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in West Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in West Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Wheeling, WV
Other Options in Wheeling, WV
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wheeling
Review of Elmhurst House of Friendship
Elmhurst- The House-Friendship is a very beautiful place. It was built in the 1800s with additions. It has a a very beautiful, Victorian feel, but the dining room is beyond beautiful. They have a h... Read more
Review of Booker T. Washington Plaza
Booker t was a good place for me to stay. It was relatively cheap since i got disability and couldnt afford an exspensive place. The place was nice and clean there were workers to clean the facilit... Read more