12 Assisted Living Facilities in Lynchburg, VA
Also serving communities of Appomattox, Farmville.
The average cost of assisted living in Lynchburg is $3,076 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Chesterfield with an average starting cost of $2,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 73 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Lynchburg. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Lynchburg 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Chesterfield with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Lynchburg, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Lynchburg
Lynchburg is just east of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Appalachia, which have created a number of quiet, suburban areas that are ideal for seniors — 14 percent of the population. There are 13 assisted living facilities in the Lynchburg area, all of which are regulated and licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Lynchburg
- Lynchburg weather is cold in the winter, with lows averaging below freezing between December and March, with about 15 inches of snowfall on average per year. The summer highs peak in the upper 80s and the rest of the year is basically light jacket weather.
- The is good air quality in Lynchburg, as there are no major metropolitan areas around to pollute the air. The Blue Ridge Mountains also help to clean the air and minimize pollution in Lynchburg and the surrounding communities.
- According to Sperling's Best Places scale, cost of living in Lynchburg is 85.7, well under the state index of 107 and the national median of 100. Necessities like groceries (92), utilities (107) and transportation (89) fall between the state and national averages.
- Lynchburg has a surprisingly high crime rate when considering the size of the city as a whole. At 3.72 violent crimes per 1000 residents it is higher than the state average of 2.18 for violent crime per 1,000 people. However, it is still below the national average of 4.0 for violent crime. Overall, Lynchburg is 23 percent safer than other cities in the United States.
- Various services like Home Instead Senior Care will provide transportation for seniors around the Lynchburg area, ranging between running errands to going to religious services to heading to doctor’s appointments. There are also independent transportation providers in the area who may be less expensive.
- The Lynchburg area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Central Lynchburg General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Lynchburg
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Lynchburg start around $3,076 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Lynchburg and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Lynchburg
There are Auxillary Grants to help seniors pay for assisted living. For seniors who can’t afford assisted living facilities, and who are 55 years or older and are suffering from Alzheimer’s or a related form of dementia, the State of Virginia has an Alzheimer’s Assisted Living Waiver. This program is administered through state Medicaid and pays for ALF facilities that are considered a “safe and secure” environment by the state.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Lynchburg
Lynchburg and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Lynchburg, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Lynchburg
Lynchburg-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Lynchburg, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Lynchburg
Review of Runk and Pratt at Liberty Ridge
My mother moved into Runk and Pratt at Liberty Ridge, and so far, it's been very good. We've been very pleased with it so far. Her room has been very clean. They have a cleaning crew, and we clean ... Read more
Review of Summit Assisted Living
7/23 was a scheduled bath day for my father. We laid his clean clothes out for the staff to dress him in after the shower. Tuesdays and Fridays are what is scheduled. 7/24 we arrived and found he ... Read more
Review of Heritage Green Assisted Living and Memory Care
We knew right away this would be a safe and caring environment for our mother. Our concerns were less stressful just knowing that our mother was well taken care of each day… The staff is amazing a... Read more