Assisted Living Facilities in Rockport, TX
To help you with your search, browse the 4 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Rockport. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Rockport 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Corpus Christi with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Rockport, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Rockport, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Rockport
The old fishing village of Rockport, TX, got its name from the rocky ledge that runs underwater off its coast and protects the sheltered cove from the Gulf of Mexico. Seniors and their families can often be seen boating and swimming in the cove, or relaxing on San Juan island, a small outcrop of this barrier reef. Aging citizens in Rockport's three assisted living communities can count on room and board as well as help performing the activities of daily living (ADLs) that have grown too difficult for them to comfortably do alone. All of Texas' assisted living facilities are regulated by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, which inspects for quality issues and encourages staff to help seniors live as independently as their health allows.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Rockport
Weather in Rockport is relatively mild in winter, when lows average 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Summer highs average 90 degrees. Each year, Rockport gets 36 inches of rain, mostly in late summer and fall, can raise allergies and cause issues for seniors with asthma.
- Rockport is not very expensive, relative to the rest of the country. Seniors who buy groceries for themselves here pay just 81 percent the average cost, while aging citizens with medical needs pay only 90 percent the national average for health care.
- Texas is one of nine states that charges no income tax on wages of any kind, including pensions and retirement income. There is a sales tax of between 6.25 and 8.25 percent, however, which eats into the fixed budgets of seniors who shop for themselves. In addition, Texas charges a 20 cent gas tax on every gallon.
- Crime rates are roughly one-third higher in Rockport than the average nationwide. Most of this elevated rate is property crime, however; violent crimes that seniors are especially concerned about are fairly rare here.
- The Corpus Christi Regional Transit Authority (CCRTA) provides very affordable public transportation all around the Rockport area. Seniors ride at a steep discount over the already low standard fare, and both aging citizens and riders with disabilities can schedule on-demand transit in advance for medical office visits and personal trips.
- The Rockport area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Refugio County Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Rockport
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Rockport start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Rockport and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Rockport
Texas offers low-income seniors help paying for the costs of assisted living through its STAR+PLUS Medicaid waiver program. To qualify, seniors must be enrolled in Medicaid with no share of cost and be willing to live in assisted living instead of a nursing home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Rockport
Rockport and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Rockport, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Rockport
Rockport-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Rockport
Review of Gulf Pointe Village
We moved our mother to Gulf Point Village because she had been there, and we knew that it's a good facility. They're just very on top of everything. For example, they had a fire in the building the... Read more
Review of Gulf Pointe Village
All of the staff at Gulf Pointe Village was supposedly cross trained for all the jobs, so anybody that was cooking might also be cleaning your toilet. It was an older facility; it was on the coast,... Read more
Review of Rockport Costal Care Center
The workers there are outstanding and go the xtra mile to help the client! Read more