1 Assisted Living Facility in Port Lavaca, TX
The average cost of assisted living in Port Lavaca is $2,760 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,405.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Port Lavaca. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Port Lavaca 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Port Lavaca, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Port Lavaca
Port Lavaca is located along the Gulf Coast of Texas, southeast of Houston. There are plenty of water activities in the area, such as fishing or boating, in nearby Lavaca Bay. Bird watching is extremely popular, so seniors who enjoy this peaceful activity will feel at home in Port Lavaca, Calhoun County. The population is a little over 12,000, 13.4 of which are seniors over 65. The quaint community has access to 34 assisted living facilities across Calhoun County. The Texas Department of Health and Senior Services licenses and monitors these assisted living facilities, which are divided into two classes, based on residents' ability to evacuate in an emergency and the degree of staff supervision needed overnight.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Port Lavaca
- South Texas weather is hot and humid, with risks of hurricanes along the Gulf in the fall. Port Lavaca is known for long summers and short, mild winters. July high temperatures average 92 degrees, and January lows are around 45. Those with respiratory conditions alleviated by warm, humid air may find relief, but seniors sensitive to high temperatures will be uncomfortable.
- Port Lavaca quality of air is rated an 82, much better than the U.S. average of 58. Seniors who have chronic health conditions will like breathing the fresh air.
- The cost of living in Port Lavaca is 85, compared to a U.S. average of 100. The main difference is housing prices, which are 40 percent lower than the national average. This may favorably impact the cost of living for seniors in assisted living facilities. Grocery and health care costs are slightly higher than the national average.
- Violent crime rates in Port Lavaca are nearly double the national average. Seniors are advised to use caution. Property crime rates are also higher — these can range from car break-ins to larceny, so seniors are advised to take caution with their belongings as well.
- Texas has no state income tax, meaning that retirement income and social security benefits are not subject to taxation. Seniors on a fixed income may have more money available for assisted living costs; however, Texas has some of the highest rates of property taxation and sales tax in the nation, so seniors should budget accordingly.
- The Port Arthur area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Memorial Medical Center and Port Lavaca Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Port Lavaca
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Port Lavaca start around $2,760 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Port Lavaca and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Port Lavaca
The Texas Department of Health and Human Services can help seniors on a limited income with placement in an assisted living center that suits their level of care. The program is called the STAR+PLUS and is offered to seniors on Medicaid or Medicare or to those receiving SSI income. It serves specific areas of the state with benefits that include partial payment for assisted living or nursing home care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Port Lavaca
Port Lavaca and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Port Lavaca, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Port Lavaca
Port Lavaca-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Port Lavaca
Review of Trinity Shores of Port Lavaca
Trinity Shores of Port Lavaca is a lovely place. I have always liked them. They were very nice, the place was very clean, the dining room was lovely and they engaged with their people. The person w... Read more
Review of Trinity Shores of Port Lavaca
The grounds are very nice and despite what some residents will tell you, the food coming out of the kitchen is good. I've always been pleased in my dealings with the staff and would suggest this f... Read more