47 Assisted Living Facilities near Smyrna, TN
With an average cost of $3,189 in Smyrna, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 23 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 4 facilities in Smyrna.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Smyrna, TN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Smyrna
Located to the southeast of Nashville, Smyrna is one of the top 10 places to retire in Tennessee in 2019 due to its historical sites and family-friendly atmosphere. Approximately 50,000 people call Smyrna home – 10 percent of whom are age 65 and older.
To accommodate those seniors, there are four assisted living facilities in the city and 40 nearby. In Smyrna and the rest of Tennessee, these facilities are called assisted care living facilities or residential homes for the aged. The main difference between the two is residential homes must have four or more. Both types are regulated by the Tennessee Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Smyrna
- The cost of living in Smyrna is 107.2, which is higher than the state average of 96 and higher than the national average of 100. Seniors on a fixed income may find it difficult to stay within a budget when paying for assisted living.
- Smyrna is safer than 15 percent of all U.S. cities, which is ideal for seniors who enjoy getting outside and exploring. People in Smyrna have a one in 32 chance of becoming a victim of any type of crime.
- The Smyrna area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the TriStar StoneCrest Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation is available for seniors through the Greater Nashville Regional Council. Rides are available at discounted fares and must be requested 24-hours in advance for local travel and 72-hours in advance for out-of-county trips.
- Like most southern U.S. cities, Smyrna has hot and humid summers and cold winters. Average July highs are around 89 degrees, while winter lows are around 26. The area also gets around 53 inches of rain, which is more than the national average of 39. There are still approximately 211 sunny days throughout the year, which is ideal for seniors who like being outdoors.
- Smyrna has an array of community resources for seniors, including Opportunities for Seniors, an organization that promotes the welfare of seniors in the area, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Smyrna
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Tennessee
Assisted Living costs in Smyrna start around $3,310 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Smyrna and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Smyrna
For seniors who need help for paying for an assisted care living facility in Smyrna, the state offers two Medicaid waivers. The Tennessee CHOICES program is for seniors age 65 and older who need help paying for nursing facility services. The Long-Term Services and Supports waiver helps pay for medical and personal care and supportive services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Smyrna
Smyrna and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Smyrna, please visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Smyrna
Smyrna-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Tennessee are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Smyrna
Review of Azalea Court
My friend will be moving into Azalea Court. It's close to Nashville. It has private rooms with a bath. The atmosphere was nice, homey, and comfortable. The person that gave me the tour was knowledg... Read more
Review of Traditions of Smyrna
We went to look at Traditions of Smyrna. They were fantastic. It's very beautiful, very clean, and it has a homey feeling to it when you walk in. It's clean but it's not so sterile that you feel li... Read more
Review of Azalea Court
I did a tour of Azalea Court. It was pretty good. There were a lot of hallways; It seemed like it was chopped up a little bit more. The rooms are very small. It looks very clean and very well maint... Read more