3 Assisted Living Facilities in Shawnee, OK
Also serving communities of Seminole, Ada.
The average cost of assisted living in Shawnee is $2,860 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Del City with an average starting cost of $2,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 7 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Shawnee. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Shawnee 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Del City with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Shawnee, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Shawnee
Shawnee residents experience small-city perks without sacrificing close access to big-city amenities. The city sits just 35 miles from Oklahoma City, where there are 51 options for assisted living. Shawnee has three assisted living facilities within its city limits, plus another community in nearby Seminole. The Oklahoma Department of Health's Health Facility Systems holds these assisted living communities accountable for following state guidelines regarding elderly care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Shawnee
- Crime is an issue in Shawnee, as the city is only safer than 4 percent of U.S. cities. Residents are more likely to experience a property crime than a violent crime in Shawnee, so seniors should keep doors and windows locked.
- Weather in Shawnee varies by season, with temperatures generally ranging from the teens to triple digits throughout the year. Summers are hot and humid, while winters typically have cold weather and clear skies. Most rainfall occurs between April and September, but it's not uncommon to see rain during other months.
- Housing, groceries, health-related services and utilities are generally affordable for Shawnee residents. The city has a 78.5 cost of living score on a 100-point scale, with 100 equalling the U.S. average. With the exception of utilities, Shawnee inhabitants pay less than Oklahoma's average for most basic necessities.
- The Shawnee area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Anthony Hospital and Cornerstone Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors board the Central Oklahoma Community Transit System, commonly called COTS, for rides to grocery stores and medical appointments. The transit service sells senior tickets for $1.00 if seniors remain within the Shawnee limits. Rides outside of the area still qualify for a discounted rate but require mileage expenses.
- With a score of 56, Shawnee almost meets the U.S. average of 58 for air quality. However, seniors sensitive to air pollution may sometimes find it difficult to manage their respiratory conditions in this city.
Paying for Assisted Living in Shawnee
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Oklahoma
Assisted Living costs in Shawnee start around $2,860 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Shawnee and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Shawnee
Eligible Shawnee seniors avoid hefty out-of-pocket bills for assisted living facilities by enrolling in the ADvantage waiver program or the State Plan Personal Care program. Both programs require enrollment in an Oklahoma Medicaid plan.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Oklahoma page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Oklahoma page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Shawnee
Shawnee and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Shawnee, please visit our Assisted Living in Oklahoma page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Shawnee
Shawnee-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Oklahoma are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Oklahoma page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Shawnee
Review of Brookdale Shawnee
Brookdale Shawnee was pretty nice. They weren't able to show us a room because they were all full, but they showed us the eating area and the little garden area in the middle. They have a separate ... Read more
Review of Brookdale Shawnee
I recommend Brookdale for your loved one. I am very happy my grandmother lives there. It's is more affordable than all other facilities I considered and the staff is truly compassionate and caring.... Read more
Review of Brookdale Shawnee
Brookdale Shawnee was nice and clean. The staff was friendly, gave us a tour, and served us a good lunch. The dining room was right next to the living room. It was all nice, but I wasn't that inter... Read more