Brookdale Norman

Brookdale Norman (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale Norman

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Norman

August 15, 2013

My husband's aunt was at Sterling House. The staff were really nice and helpful. The residents looked happy and seemed to enjoy the food. They also had various activities. Her room was smaller compared to the other facilities I have seen, but I was not sure if there were other sizes.

April 16, 2013

My mom was in Sterling House in Norman, OK. We chose this place because it's more comfortable for our part. The staff were good to us and were very helpful.

November 02, 2011

By Kellie_B

My grandmother was moved into this facility after my grandfather passed away. My grandmother was a very social person and this facility soon became home to her. She started playing bingo and making crafts with the other residents. She made friends and went on field trips. My grandmother was very happy there. She said her meals were close to gourmet even though they weren't like her cooking. Each room had a large bathroom and it was very easy for her to bathe and do her daily living rituals. It came with a half-kitchen with a microwave, small refrigerator and a sink. When she did not want to go to dinner, she cooked a little something for herself in the microwave.They also allowed her to keep her pet. That was very important to her. Her dog made her very happy. The apartment had a back door into the courtyard where she could walk her dog and be safe.The apartment was also equipped with a panic button. She accidentally hit it once while making the bed and the staff was there in minutes.All in all, it was a great place for my grandmother to live. When she passed, the staff came to her funeral and were very nice when we came to clean out the apartment.

October 19, 2011

By stewag1

I visited the Sterling House of Norman several times while my great-grandmother was a resident there and never left her once unpleased. On my first trip, I was given a complete tour and tons of details about my great-grandmother's new home. The staff was friendly and attentive throughout the entire tour and really made me feel comfortable with her making this transition. The house was well kept and allowed her to have her own personal freedom, while still keeping her active and secure. My great-grandmother really enjoyed getting to know all of the other residents and always had wonderful things to say about her time there. It was also reassuring how easy to reach and helpful the staff was for our family outside of Norman. They were happy to keep us updated and never minded taking our phone calls when we wanted to just check in. As a whole, our experience was beyond expectations. From making her adjustment a smooth and easy one to providing her with the most excellent care throughout her entire stay, Sterling House always surpassed our family's satisfaction.

Questions about Brookdale Norman

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Norman. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The current average age of our residents is 85. They enjoy outings, book club, Bingo, Wahoo, card games, watch parties for sporting events, quilting, and cooking projects. Our residents are very active and plan the majority of our activities with our resident programing.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Norman offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer daily activities that speak to the mind, body, and soul. We start each day off with Brookdale BE FIT, which is a low impact chair exercise class. Once we have our bodies warmed up, we move on to walking partners, we have to get our laps in! Before lunch we offer a variety of brain stimulating activities. In the afternoon we offer Bible study, quiet meditation, book club, health talks, resident council meetings, and in house musicians.

What places are near Brookdale Norman or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are located near shopping centers, and the beautiful campus of The University of Oklahoma. We provide transportation and are just a car ride away from many shops and restaurants.

What transportation services does Brookdale Norman offer to assisted living residents?

Our community offers transportation to all group outings and activities.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Norman exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our Dining Services Director has been making delicious meals for us for 17 years, and our Dining Service Coordinator is a Pastry Chef! Together they collaborate to offer an extensive daily menu, with an always available menu upon request.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Norman offer to assisted living residents?

We are a small, secure Assisted Living with only 32 apartments. We screen all visitors at the door where all exits are equipped with alarms.

How does Brookdale Norman keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We send out a monthly newsletter to keep families informed about what we are up to in the community. We provide personalized one on one communication through care conferences to discuss related new physician orders, falls, or other changes in condition. We have an open door policy with our families and have close relationships with them in order to provide the best resident care.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Norman during daytime and nighttime hours?

Our community differs from other assisted living communities when it comes to associate to resident ratios. We take into consideration the acuity of each resident when determining how many associates we need to safely care for each of our residents.

If Brookdale Norman accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We happily allow our residents pets, and provide a secure outdoor courtyard for them to enjoy safely.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

We provide a bi-weekly in service to educate our associates to ensure OSHA compliance, and provide mandatory Dementia training for all staff quarterly.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Norman provide to protect residents who wander?

We educate our residents to request staff assistance when needed, and offer redirection and engagement to those who wander. Through our care conferences we determine what accommodations our residents need and educate our associates on what each residents needs are.

Photos of Brookdale Norman

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Norman

• Low Fat
  • Low Salt

• Pets: Yes

About Brookdale Norman

Brookdale Norman provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Norman