4 Assisted Living Facilities near Plattsburgh, NY
Also serving communities of Peru.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Plattsburgh area, with 3 in Plattsburgh and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Plattsburgh is $3,542 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 7 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Plattsburgh. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Plattsburgh 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Burlington with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Plattsburgh, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Plattsburgh, NY
1 Assisted Living Facility near Plattsburgh, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Plattsburgh
Nestled on Lake Champlain about 20 miles south of the Canadian border and near the Adirondack Mountains is Plattsburgh, New York. It's home to nearly 20,000 people, nearly 20 percent of whom are aged 60 and over. To support the older adult population, the Plattsburgh area offers four assisted living communities, with three located within the city limits and one located nearby. In Plattsburgh, assisted living facilities are licensed by New York's Department of Health, and they are categorized as Adult Homes, Enriched Housing Programs and Assisted Living Residences, depending on the level of care they offer.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Plattsburgh
- Plattsburgh’s winters can be harsh, with lows near the single digits and 57 inches of annual snowfall, which may be a consideration for seniors who enjoy being outdoors. Summers are pleasant, however, with highs around 80 degrees.
- While the overall cost of living in Plattsburgh is about 10 percent less than the nation’s average, this is primarily due to the low cost of housing; seniors may find that their expenses are slightly higher here than elsewhere. Seniors can expect to pay slightly more on groceries and transportation and about 15 percent more for health care than they would in other U.S. cities.
- Plattsburgh is safer than 20 percent of U.S. cities, and residents have a 1 in 37 chance of being the victim of a crime. However, a majority of the crimes committed are non-violent property crimes, and the number of year over year crimes in this city has decreased by 4 percent.
- While sales and property tax are relatively high in New York, all Social Security retirement benefits are exempt from taxes, as is any income from retirement accounts or private pensions up to $20,000. This may leave more money in the budget for assisted living.
- The Plattsburgh area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Plattsburgh has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Senior Citizens Council of Clinton County, an organization that provides seniors with social, recreational and educational programming, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Plattsburgh
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Plattsburgh start around $3,542 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Plattsburgh and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Plattsburgh
While Plattsburgh seniors do not have access to state-funded public subsidization of services, those who are eligible for Medicaid may have their services covered through the state’s Long-Term Home Health Program 1915(c) Waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Plattsburgh
Plattsburgh and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Plattsburgh, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Plattsburgh
Plattsburgh-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Plattsburgh, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Plattsburgh
Review of Samuel F. Vilas Home
My brother-in-law moved into Samuel F. Vilas Home. I think they're great and fantastic. He's a little difficult, but they're wonderful. They have laundry, they have a nice kitchen, they feed him, t... Read more
Review of Samuel F. Vilas Home
Samuel F. Vilas Home is an old Victorian home so it's laid out very well, and it's well-organized. The people were all friendly, the food was very good, and there's a lot of 1-on-1 attention if nee... Read more
Review of Samuel F. Vilas Home
I have chosen Samuel F. Vilas for my husband. So far, so good. The place is clean and friendly. It is adequate. His room has a bed, a stand, and a TV. It has all he needs. The staff members are ver... Read more